rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

El Paipo Alert!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> For Sale, Wanted or Trade
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: El Paipo Alert! Reply with quote

There's a very prime looking El paipo on Ebay right now. I can't bid on it (spent my sports allowance on skis, but somebody ought to go for it). It's at $75. Maybe we should agree on one person going for it so as not to jack up the price. But it may be one of you guys selling it or bidding on it?If it stayed at $75 I might be tempted. Very Happy
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: El Paipo Alert! Reply with quote

kage wrote:
There's a very prime looking El paipo on Ebay right now. I can't bid on it (spent my sports allowance on skis, but somebody ought to go for it). It's at $75. Maybe we should agree on one person going for it so as not to jack up the price. But it may be one of you guys selling it or bidding on it?If it stayed at $75 I might be tempted. Very Happy

For those that are interested: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3657065837&category=22710.

As boards go, this one sold new for around $55, it's in good shape but a horrible board to surf on ( I had one very similar...for three days ) .Word of warning; the fin system is like nothing available today. Break the fin, it's a coffee table and that's all.

Price? Well, collectors are known to be whacko and bid up to inane money on boards of all kinds. You might see the right lunatic pay over $200 for this. As somebody in the surf biz, I wouldn't pay what the current ( as of right this minute ) $75.99 price is, let alone what it's likely to go to. It's more like a $25 special as a wall board to me.

A far better 'user' board went for considerably less ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3656288079&category=22710) . A more rational price, and a good board to actually use. Even came with a pair of fins.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Doc, you might prefer the 2nd item... but remember, one is a paipo and the other is a kneeboard! The paipo seems to be in relatively good condition... and one our brotherhood is already in the mix.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodndtube wrote:
Yes, Doc, you might prefer the 2nd item... but remember, one is a paipo and the other is a kneeboard! The paipo seems to be in relatively good condition... and one our brotherhood is already in the mix.

actually, no. Not a paipo, at 48", just an el paipo brand kneeboard. Same as newport paipo made both paipos and kneeboards. Typically, paipos of that era were under 4', more like 30" to 36".
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very possibly a cross-over board from the era. However, my first paipo was a tear drop shape, single fin of about the same size and weight. The kneeboards since then have gotten really "large."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodndtube wrote:
Very possibly a cross-over board from the era. However, my first paipo was a tear drop shape, single fin of about the same size and weight. The kneeboards since then have gotten really "large."

Wayull....in this case it's a skosh easier. Have a look down at the picture and you'll see Knee Machine 48 on the thing. Kind of a giveaway, you know?

rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do doubt about the inscription... but really was a better paipo than kneeboard at that size and design (IMHO). Look at the knee deck patch way up there - can you imagine knee gliding and turning from there?
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodndtube wrote:
Do doubt about the inscription... but really was a better paipo than kneeboard at that size and design (IMHO). Look at the knee deck patch way up there - can you imagine knee gliding and turning from there?

Heee.... I sure can. There were some horrible teardrop shaped G&Ss around that era and that size that you had to use from way up forward. They just wouldn't do anything but stall if you were anywhere else.

Limited only begins to describe how bad they were. My brother had one of the G&S items...for all I know still does someplace. It was awful. Terrible. You had to have a perfect wave with a smooth face and it had to be fast or it was bog-down-to-nothing city. Made when nobody really understood what made a kneeboard work.

I should also note that it's also an awful photograph, quality-wise, so what appears to be a knee patch could be anything. I played with enlarging it and such and really didn't get anywhere with the thing, just wasn't that much to work with.

I'll grant you this board has a lot of paipo influences: El Paipo hung onto those in their kneeboards longer than Newport Paipo did. El Paipo later came out with a range of ( also lousy) twin-fin kneeboards, came in either a 4'10" version for 'pure kneeboard' use or a far too floaty 5'4" and thick item that was trying to compete with the stand/kneel Newport Paipo Shoe.

I had one of the 4'10" versions which was...well, with the thick roundish soft rails and the dinky fins it had, overly loose barely covers it. They'd spin out on any wave that was steep enough to use 'em on. I owned one of those for a long afternoon, the latter 75% of which I spent throwing it into the shorebreak and hoping that the miserable object would break in half.

And then there is the dreaded pintail-in-the-groin issue.......
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would of thought it was a paipo from the size, maybe somebody shmaller than me could kneeride it. I've already got my regular kneeboards and paipo.
But you've got to admit it's way prettier than that "user" board. I surely admire that transparent fin. Very Happy
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: El Paipo Alert Reply with quote

I had one of those El Paipo pintail 48's several years ago. It really measured 46" and it was quite a workout to paddle the thing. I called it my belly gun. It needed a big wave. I usually had more fun prone riding on my roundtail El Paipo 48, and sometimes my El Paipo 54. I think the pintail 48 on ebay is a very nice collectible, and will probably sell for about $251.00 without any help from me.
Birdie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mine may be a Newport Paipo Shoe or maybe not

5' 20" x 2 3/4"

Deck looks like this one...

http://i10.ebayimg.com/03/i/00/c7/49/46_1.JPG

But mine has a V tail....and fiberglass handles...and is probably early 70's.

I'll see if I can find the pictures (have a new hard-drive)
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well....that one in the pic is defnitely a Shoe. And if it has that N on it, Newport Paipo for sure. And the dimensions sound about right.

Glass handles were all the rage in the mid-late '70s, cobby ones of glassed in rope or cobbier wood ones or....you name it. Usually, they got put in later, by somebody other than the maker.....

congrats on the new HD. Me, I have a new-to-me monitor coming tomorrow......
Birdie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has the same lime green N on the deck, and it says Newport Paipo Boards California below the fin...has a nice clear blue fin....set with a single hex tyoe screw.

Handles were set in later, they did a good job. I think they maybe braided fiberglass rope, but maybe something else.

In excellent condition. No dings, just some very mild pressure dings on deck and some spiderweb spots....tiny.

Keeping it as a wall hanger.

I think they put the handles on it as it doesn't turn very well!

I think cos the nose is soooo thick and the way the rails
are....

I took it out one day and it went like this to me " no, I don't want to go that way, I want to go straight for the shoreline, straight for those rocks over there...."....did not repeat did not want to turn...

Anyway, it is too small for me in the waves we have here and really isn't worth figuring out how to deal with the design issues....maybe if I was 12 years old again and had all summer to toy with it....

Looks fab as a wall hanger.
Birdie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some thumbnails on another hard-drive of my Newport Paipo.

And a great pix of a El Paipo logo.

Just click on the www button below for my webpage

I need to get new photo's taken, etc...
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that must be one of the last Newport Paipos made. Swallow tail and all. Never really knew when they went out of business.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> For Sale, Wanted or Trade All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: