rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Waveskater?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spuuut

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: what the... Reply with quote

The waveskater will go down as just another plastic toy but with the Y stamp.
People like to see the quality and exciting possibilities of a new product and the only photo of a 'waveskater' in action is of a fat guy in one foot slop ( from their website )
I dont think thats going to sway sensible riders to swtch..... or even dumb kids.
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha spuuut. G'day, mate. Or, have a bad day, if that's what you prefer.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumak says, "It's all about perspective." For him to go from a finned fiberglass fish to a Waveskater is a tough transition. He likes his Waveskater for what it is, rather than hating it for what it's not. I like that attitude, but I suppose it's not that helpful to folks that are trying to decide whether or not they want to buy a Waveskater.

For me the difficult transition was switching from my little wooden cubit boards that have negligible flotation to the 48" Waveskater. I didn't lose speed like Tumak, but I did lose the ease of diving deep under the waves.

I'm curious to hear the perspective of someone who sponges most of the time. Could Foon give us a review? Mr. Miyake?

I'm going to guess that the comment about the "little aquatic flying saucer" has to do with helicopter spins and the boards ability to ride sideways. For me the side sliding was more of a soup thing. On clean parts of a wave the board held in well and high (from my perspective.) I too look forward to riding it in better waves, and seeing what it can do. Maybe try it dropknee (not recommended by the manufacturer BTW.) I have mine leashed now. Time to get more rad.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took another look at the wesite, because I wanted to read the part about "planarization" again. This bit caught my eye:

"Third, we wanted to build a selection of boards sturdy and aerodynamic enough to allow the rider to slide up onto the wet sand at the ride's conclusion."

Aerodynamic?
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Third, we wanted to build a selection of boards sturdy and aerodynamic enough to allow the rider to slide up onto the wet sand at the ride's conclusion."
Aerodynamic?

When I read that bit in the Surfer's Journal blurb...I liked the idea of grinding it out to the beach even though that doesn't really appeal to me as something I'd want to do. Maybe instead of aerodynamic they should have said hydro, as my guess is a catamaran/double pontoon design would be better for running to the shallows that traditional bodyboards...which brings to mind an uncomfortable mental illustration of "d*#k dragging". Still like to know (preferably see photos of) the thing in action on a wave. Always willing to try sometihng new.
spuuut

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let the public decide if its spectacular or craptacular but its not even a consistent shape out of the mold.
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's an impression following a second go-out... yesterday afternoon I had a more extended session with the WS and I really had a good time. My first ride resembled the few I'd had the night before, but each ride after that got better and better. I found that there is a particular balance point I had to find in order to angle while holding an edge... and the board did really well. The waves were a little cleaner than the first time out, though slightly smaller... peaky, with particularly nice reeling lefts.

I got to where I was actually doing off-the-lips... in short, I got the thing wired.

Yeah, Poobah, the "flying saucer" reference was about that soupy spin thing, as well as a reference to the fact that it also looks pretty futuristic to me.

Perhaps this second installment is a little more helpful to y'all than my first message. I'd had a voice in my head - not that of Goldie Hawn - advise me to wait a couple of days to give this forum my impressions... but I ignored that thought and just blabbed like a bubbly kid.

Spuuut, I'm not really sure what special characteristics a board could have in order to take it to a level that you would find meaningful, but for a guy like me, with a pretty relaxed attitude regarding what to expect and what to attempt with the board, I think that the WS is just what I first said: an advancement for bodyboards. Plain and simple.

To anyone who decides to get a Wave Skater: have fun.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not really sure what special characteristics a board could have in order to take it to a level that you would find meaningful

Not a struggle to paddle out or catch waves, makes waves, feels like it goes fast, long rides, durable, affordable...

All that is meaningful to me. Acid test is as always: fun.
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... obviously.

It's occurred to me that concern over whether or not the WS does something new and better is kind of like arguing about cars, and which ones are better. It's a huge subjective field, isn't it? Is it just me, or isn't the goodness of something basically held within the nervous system of the participant?

All cars have four wheels.
They all have one steering wheel.
They all have one dashboard.
They all have one exterior, designed to be (hopefully) pleasing to the eye.
They all have brakes, some better than others.
They all basically have the same kind of windows, right?
They all have engines, with differing capabilities.
In short, they all have pretty much the same things going on, with only added gizmos to make them seem more needed by the gullible consumer, who wants to appear a certain way and appear to have more status.

So, I ask again: what would a soft, light bodyboard DO to make it new and different? Does increased performance involving the standard moves qualify it?
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a time when a "better" sufboard had to nose ride better. Later on the "better" surfboard had to fly in the air. I've heard that there is currently a split in the kneeboarders universe where perhaps half of the kneelboarders think it's "better" to ride hands free. And perhaps this has already caused a two track path of evolution for kneelo design and development. Contest rules and styles seem to be the culprit. The WaveSkater may have evolved free from contest influences, and perhaps that is a good thing. The density of the material is what I find most new and interesting. Sure PVC foam has been around for a while. It was rumored to have been used on the Bismark. Perhaps some kid in Cornwall even rode a piece of wreckage on a wave decades ago. And as mentioned previously, the material has been used for swiiming pool kick boards. Myself I've never seen the stuff as firm and rigid as the WaveSkater in a kickboard. So for me, the density is what is most new and "better" about it.
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having a blast on mine, and on her first day out on it, you should've seen my wife Jan... numerous barrels. On her hard 4'6" paipo fish, she doesn't really go for barrels. With the Wave Skater, she was there confidently and happily... we were both so stoked. That's what it's all about.
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... it's been almost a month since I got my Wave Skater. It's really all I'm riding now. Perhaps a few times I've gone out on conventional sticks to surf with friends, but the Wave Skater has become my main ride. I'm finding that, as I work with it more & more, it has really good down the line speed and hold. I can enjoy more critical drops and many more barrels than with my hard paipos, and that's cool.

On one wave, my wife was on her 4'6" paipo twin-fin fish, and I was just above and in front of her on my 46" Wave Skater. We were angling with identical speed and hold, like the Blue Angels in formation... until the Wave Skater began to speed up and pass the paipo. That was a great feeling. And this was a small, glassy wave, perhaps stomach high, peeling right. Yes, she was not riding high for speed - I was - and the Wave Skater held in there on the vertical face. Also, as I learn its nuances, I find that it turns and banks as though it was finned. I still give it an A.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm following the WS thread, still interested. I had a flash that summer in the Northern Hemisphere is over the hump, so to speak. The water in Southern California has been all-time warm, with a lot of surf although nothing too spectacular. No wetsuits even for me since June. I'm gonna hate to see it go. The point breaks are kook/dick/newbie saturated and I don't know what that is going to mean this fall...the more alternatives the better.

Quote:
Wheres the innovation to move design forward like the old days of surfing? Bring on the foils or whatever, not an old design but in bright colours...

Bright colors and patterns seem like innovation to bodyboard cosmetics. I've tortured this bodyboard innovation topic over and over for years...there have been subtle innovations which over 33 years have made the basic core bodyboard much improved over the original, but it is barely visible on the surface, and nothing like the standup surfing and its shortboard revolution. But the bodyboard is a post-shortboard revolution invention - maybe even a latter-day revolution invention given the 1971 date.

Lately I'm just kicking around the notion that maybe the bodyboard sprang forth at about 75% of its potential...

What I don't like about bodyboards: Since I ride them at beach breaks only, maybe it's me or the waves, but the bodyboard lacks something to let it carry speed through sections. The mat has it although it works at what I would consider a disadvantage in beach breaks (feel free to weigh in Dale)...zooms through sections that the bodyboard seems to die in...this noticed in sessions where I have both pieces of equipment with me and ride reasonably close in terms of elapsed time.

Anybody have any observations on the WS in relation to the above notion?
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels, when you say, "carry speed through sections," can you be more specific? Are you talking about connecting across flat sections? If that's what you mean, then I think the WS does that reasonably well, but they don't get over 46" in average length; there's not a lot of glide factor in 3'10". However, my mat experience is limited to only one time on a small day on a Solomonson mat.

Nels, I think you might consider just getting one... that's the only way you're going to know unless you borrow one. I know a fellow in Seal Beach who can turn you on...

By the way, I love the vagabond.com site. Going there is like medicine.
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry... I meant vagabondsurf.com.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: