rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Waveskater?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gcs
Matt Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Waveskater? Reply with quote

Anyone tried this or know anyone that has - Tom Morey has come up with something new, or so says. Would like to know how much flex it has a and a little more about the rail configurations. At 45 inches long and a flat tail it should keep more out of the water than a regular boogieboard??

http://www.waveskater.com/
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in time for the Year of the Cat Board. Honestly...I hadn't heard or seen anything about the Wave Skater until tonight. I first started tinkering on my computer with some Cat Board designs with a flared bottom channell about a year ago. I'd also given plenty of thought to making it with laminated sheets of PVC foam. My hope was that the stiffness of the PVC foam would make up for the lack of sandwich construction. Heck! Now I can just buy one, and focus on my wooden cat boards.
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Waveskater? Reply with quote

gcs wrote:
Tom Morey has come up with something new, or so says

Yeah, and he will probably get that patent too, despite the fact that his configuration is definitely prior art. At the end of the 60's longboard craze there were several builders making concave nose, channel bottom boards. Every spoon shape ever made has had the deck configuration to hold in your forearm and elbow when riding prone. Those grab rails are not exactly new either. And why he thinks a slightly larger than average boogie-board would make it easier to get outside in 14 foot surf is beyond me.
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Morey does it again... A mutual friend once told me that, to Morey, it doesn't really matter if it's better than what's already available... only that it's DIFFERENT. But I think this thing looks like fun. How much are they?
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom is a consultant for this company. Some of the blems and limited edition colors are being sold on ebay.
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ick.
gcs
Matt Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep an open mind until someone tells me how they ride. I'm not putting a whole lot of stock in any review that includes "great planarization in paddling out" ?? Either that or I'm totally out of the loop, that is a new one to me.
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, kage... I resonate with your "ick." But, o' course, it would be interesting to try one.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kage wrote:
ick.

To ick or not to ick? That is the question. I wonder how many of you jumped to the conclusion that the Wave Skater would be too soft and flacid. I know I had my reservations when I ordered one. It came in the mail yesterday. It's much firmer and stiffer than I thought it would be. But not hard and unforgiving like a fiberglass or high density polyethylene board. I think a lot of you might buy one of these if you saw it in a surf shop. If you could heft it, squeeze it and bend it a bit with your knee. I probably won't have the time to get it in the water until Friday, so I can't tell you how it rides. But I have already ordered a second board. One of the smaller XR models. I can't vouch for the longevity of these boards. I do know that I'm fed up with the typical sandwich bodyboard that eventually gets overly compressed on the deck and overly rockered. So my two Wave Skaters are coming out of my sandwich budget for the year...with money to spare. There is also potential for modifications for folks that might want to customize their Wave Skater by sanding the shape or adding strakes, runners and/or fin boxes. More about that later. Right now the new wave of bodyboarding is approaching. Is it a good wave? Will you try to catch it? Will you let it pass you by, and then later regret you didn't buy one of the original prototypes for $89.00 on ebay?
gcs
Matt Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two! Talk about a leap of faith. Smile

Please post a report once you get into some waves.
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I retract the "ick". It was more a response to the the hype than the actual board. I would reserve judgment until seeing and riding one. Go for it Poobah! And let us know how it works.
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah wrote:
Will you let it pass you by, and then later regret you didn't buy one of the original prototypes for $89.00 on ebay?

They are now up to $109. Did you get the free "T" shirts with yours? That "Lodi Shuttle" on your website looks like it would be faster turning and easier to paddle out. I'm assuming that rocker is in the nose though!!!

Solo
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. A new addition to the realm of mass-produced, generic pop-outs. Advertising is aimed at the kook to competant demographic.
If riders don't expect much else beyond "widely available, inexpensive, safe, fun and durable"... then they'll be totally stoked.

I made many different versions of the same basic design 25 to 30 years ago, using a variety of internal/ external materials, flexibilities, internal/ external stiffeners, etc. Most of them surfed adequately in average
waves.

Aloha
gcs
Matt Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year Dale!

Trying to get my wife on her mat but a close encounter with a finned friend has deterred her for a while.

Any guess as to the materials for the wave-skater? Looks like it is all one material.
Solo
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very happy 2006 to you too, gcs!

Yes... according to the advertising the only material used is PVC microcell foam. My guess is the foam is molded with heat and pressure... "2 sizes fits all". Many kickboards and the like are manufactured the same way. Sort of like making waffles... except not quite as environmentally friendly!

Dale
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: