rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guitar Picks...Road Signs...Runners

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baidarka
Matt Master

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Guitar Picks...Road Signs...Runners Reply with quote

I recently scavenged a DETOUR sign from a roadside ditch and would like to try a traditional 'guitar pick' shape instead of my previous parallel rail or wide point foreward boards.

My lack of wave sliding skill has necessitated the use of skegs on all prior projects. This time around I would like to try some runners in place of the fins. My questions are: Do I orient the runners perpendicular to the base and nose, or parallel to the rails? Any special considerations concerning the shape and size of the runners? Thanks.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great project. I had some similar thoughts myself a while back when reading about Rabbit Kekai. He was quoted:

"Like you see, everybody, what they’re doing now is just making a copy of all of the versions of what we had before. They are calling them twin fins and all that, we used to have it in our days, just like what you call channels now, but with two ridges on either side, just like catamarans. That’s what we called a twin fin in our days with no fins – on a belly type of board, with grooved, channel bottoms. And it holds! You can stall them, you can do turns, just like you do on a twin fin."

Unfortunately no pictures in the interview. He seemed to be tallking about narrow boards with parallel rails. If you put runners on a guitar pick template, then I suppose the runners should still be more or less parallel to the centerline of the board. How far in toward the center might depend on whether or not you want to retain some flex at the rear corners. My guess....a board made from a detour sign should be good at cut backs.
baidarka
Matt Master

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Poobah,

Thanks for the feedback and interesting quote. I might as well use parallel rails since the sign is already a functional/usable rectangular shape. With my busy schedule these days, less time cutting is better. Also, I just picked up a 4'x5' sheet of nice 5mm ply in another local ditch. This one will get the guitar pick treatment. I plan on starting BIG...42" at the base. I'll whittle it down if need be. Now, if I can just find a dilapidated YIELD sign to fashion a handboard from...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: