rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fin flap
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birdie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Fin flap Reply with quote

So, what fins are you wearing and with what?

I have Churchill Makapuu's and Slashers...1 pair of Techfinz Hydros and 2 pairs of Tech2's (clear and aqua).

I only use the Tech Hydros in the pool - they are stiff and blunt and I can't wear socks with them.

I like the Tech2's. I noticed right away that they have less drag if I am in the soup...the water shoots out of the foot pocket. Other foot pockets collect water and create drag...bucket like. Fascinating when you suddenly notice the difference!

I am going to try longer dive fins. I haven't made my mind up yet - split fin or another kind. May get these US Divers short split fins for pool training...someone just left a pair of long US Diver splits at the pool but they are too big for me...

Anyway, I seem destined to have more fins than shoes.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Fin Preference Reply with quote

I have Churchills, too. And I often wear some old Cressi shoe fins (snorkeling fins) because they have lots of thrust and never rub me the wrong way. I also usually wear webbed gloves. When Terry Hendricks did his fin thrust testing, he found that paddling gloves give you more thrust than a pair of Duck Feet. Here's a table that's on Rod's Paipo Pages:
http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/Swim-SurfFinTests.html
Birdie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Fin Preference Reply with quote

Poobah wrote:
And I often wear some old Cressi shoe fins (snorkeling fins)

I grew up in a pair of the old green Churchill Makapuu's.

Funny you should mention the Cressi's. I have been considering a pair of them....instead of long split fins.

Will work well with my nikonos collection, mask, snorkel....too.
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fin Preference Reply with quote

Birdie wrote:
Poobah wrote:
And I often wear some old Cressi shoe fins (snorkeling fins)

I grew up in a pair of the old green Churchill Makapuu's.

Funny you should mention the Cressi's. I have been considering a pair of them....instead of long split fins.

Will work well with my nikonos collection, mask, snorkel....too.

I'd recommend something like those, or the Dessaults http://www.scubastore.com/shop.asp?id_familia=3&id_subfamilia=18 Haven't done business with them but the reviews are good.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Shin Fins Reply with quote

Has any of you tried the shinfin?
http://www.shinfin.com/
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the late 70s to early 80s, I used Duck Feet. For the next 20 yrs I have used Churchills almost exclusively, but the older ones with rubber and flexible blades. Not as much quick thrust as all the stiff blades that have blanketed the market the last decade or so. About 10 yrs ago Churchill changed the materials used in the fins which resulted in a stiff blade. I've been buying used Churchills wherever possible but that supply has pretty much run the course.

Emergency during my Winter trip to Puerto Rico leads to this report originally posted elsewhere:

Mrs. Santa was so kind as to buy me some new Viper V-5 Flex Model (orange spot) flippers (fins) during our trip to PR, as my trusty ol' flexi Churchills lefty cracked below the foot pocket. During the past two years I had bought a couple of close-out priced pairs of flippers at Shoreline Board Shop (Redley's flex and Hydro Techs) but haven't been pleased with either. Vipers had not appealed to me in the past because of their stiffness. Have not yet tried the Tech2's nor the Slashers in the water, but the Slashers for some reason ride low in the ankle/heal and also bite into my ankle bone.

The V-5 Flex'ers have passed the test as a good substitute and replacement for my old, preferred flexi Churchills. The paddling in cruise mode wears on the ankles a bit more but with some adjustment in the paddling motion they are working out better. Kinda tweaked my right knee during the adjustment phase during a heavy current period at a shallow left reef on the NW coast. On the plus side, these fins provide more thrust during wave catching than my old Churchillls. Bottom line: a decent replacement and addition to the fin (flippers) quiver. Good enough to buy the larger size for cold water surf (to accomodate booties).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gcs
Matt Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While many fins perform differently comfort is key. I use techs that have great thrust and also neofins II which are plastic blades instead of rubber (incredibly light and pack small), lined with neoprene and custom adjustable for both heel and arch. The most comfortable fins on the market and have pretty good thrust, though not as much as techs or vipers, but you can go all day without cramps or blisters. Got mine at ebodyboarding.com Dive fins not really suitable.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned Duck Feet exclusively for surf use until the mid-80's, when I went to Churchill Makapuu fins for the comfort. I never looked back. I had tried UDTs and various monster fins earlier but never felt the need to sacrifice comfort (and that means extra time in water) for power. When the Makapuu fins wore into the danger zone, I went to the then-new Churchill Slashers. They really are different from the Makapuu model - I'm not sure they have as much power, but they are much lighter and have worked out fine for me.

Key thing, as others said, is fit. Duck Feet raped my anklebones and required modification just to wear. For me, Churchills are fine out of the box.

Cressi Rondine full foot dive fins in my diving youth...haven't heard that name in a long time.
Solo
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfers of all disciplines, recreational divers and Navy SEALS are using the new Voit UDT fins... an entirely different re-formulation of the original rubber compounds.

Some surfers are so pleased they`ve purchased multiple pairs, literally "lifetime supplies"... persons including George Greenough and friends who`ve been modifying and refining their swim fins to provide even more quickness and powerful response (yet easier on the ankles), and reduced water resistance. There are no comparable swim fins on the market today.

The new Voit UDTs are currently a bargain at only $50.00 per pair. For further information, or to place an order, contact Prof. Greg Deets @ parsimony@earthlink.net

http://digitalstar.com/dalesolomonson/OriginalImages/293301ORIG.JPG
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo wrote:
Surfers of all disciplines, recreational divers and Navy SEALS are using the new Voit UDT fins... an entirely different re-formulation of the original rubber compounds.

Some surfers are so pleased they`ve purchased multiple pairs, literally "lifetime supplies"... persons including George Greenough and friends who`ve been modifying and refining their swim fins to provide even more quickness and powerful response (yet easier on the ankles), and reduced water resistance. There are no comparable swim fins on the market today.

The new Voit UDTs are currently a bargain at only $50.00 per pair. For further information, or to place an order, contact Prof. Greg Deets @ parsimony@earthlink.net

http://digitalstar.com/dalesolomonson/OriginalImages/293301ORIG.JPG

Nice looking flex! The other key factor with flex is "memory." Is it safe to assume that these have good memory as well?

Another question... has any one seen these in the commercial marketplace? I'd like to try on a couple of pairs for sizing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Solo
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rod,

Here`s a link to UDT size chart:

http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/image_p/UDTsizes.gif

The rubber formulation in the new UDTs has superb memory. It feels like the resilient "kick back" of the old 100% rubber fins that I`m very fond of... i.e. my old green Churchills, blue/black Voit Duck Feet from the early 1970`s, etc. This is also one of the main reasons why George Greenough has been so impressed with them. It`s a really good rubber formulation.

I don`t know of any shops that are carrying the new UDTs. My understanding is that when they are more widely distributed, the price may go up to about $80.00 a pair. Some of the people I`m in contact with have been networking to find the proper fit. For example, my feet are wide, so I sent my first pair down to a friend in Santa Cruz, CA. Martin`s paws are the same length as mine, but "normal" width. Anyway, they fit him perfectly... his name is Martin Headman. He`s an experienced mat surfer, lives just above Pleasure Point and is a professional musician, composer and vocalist: http://www.martinheadman.com/

For now, I recommend contacting Prof. Greg Deets. Greg is a famous Wedge bodysurfer, as well as a mat surfer. He`s been very helpful and informative... parsimony@earthlink.net

Here`s a recent photo of Greg at his home break:

http://digitalstar.com/dalesolomonson/images/293314.JPG
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those UDT's sound pretty interesting, I may have to look into those. I am pretty happy with yellow dot vipers. When I first tried them on I couldn't stand them and wen with the makapuus. I tried them again later after my feet had toughend up a bit and really liked them. I'm in the market for a pair of orange dots. It's funny, when I tried on the green Churchills, my feet felt like they were gonna throw chunks. But the blue and yellow ones were good. Were those a different shape or am I just nuts? ( I mean more nuts than the average paipo board rider? Razz )
Birdie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Rubber Care Reply with quote

Is there a rubber care product - like Saddle Soap - that cleans and softens conditions rubber, we could use on fins?

My Tech2's are made of silicone, so, thats different.

Also, any good glues for those cracks and tears??

I tried some clear silicone used in bathtubs, etc on my clear tech2's. Looked great, didn't last long.

The Churchill Slashers always start to crack....

Someone could make a nickel off of "Fin Fixer"!

Birdie
Solo
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdie,

When you see a crack forming in your fins, rinse them with fresh water, dry thoroughly and wick a drop of "super glue" down into the fissure.

Here`s the best stuff I know of: http://www.zapglue.com/

It`s also quick and effective for wound closure instead of stitches:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question695.htm
Birdie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dale!!

The fins look great, too...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: