rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hawaiian Designs Paipos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Hawaiian Designs Paipos Reply with quote

Hey! A paipo forum. How excellent.
Is anyone out there riding a Hawaiian Designs Paipo?
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, but I need to see if the old email address for Greg Lawrence of the Bay Area, SF is still good. He bought one several years ago and loved it for its duck-diving ease at Ocean Beach, SF (in addition to its riding qualities).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No biggie,
I ride one, not a lot lately because I've been kneeboarding more. I was just curious how other paipo riders would like them. It took me a while to get used to. At first it was like turning a truck until I got used to the balance. It's true they duck dive better thatn anything; of course they float worse than anything too. I never got the hang of knee riding or drop knee on it, I was wpondering if there was anybody knee riding one.
Don't know the guy you mentioned, actually I've never seen anyone ride one but me. Very Happy
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The basic style is still very popular in Hawaii -- it's the basic model for the paipo and bodysurfing contest held at Point Panic. A few years back there was a nice 1 or 2 page article in Surfers Journal on the finless wooden \"guitar pic\" paipos.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Birdie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kage

I'm in so cal and I have the XL....which is the stiff one.

I want to get the one that flexs abit next.

The learning curve is easier when you have other paipo riders around!

I haven't tried jack stance or knee riding it, yet....

I do fine turning it, catching waves, and most pf the time, duck diving.

I am going to start swimming underwater at the pool when the weather changes, and it gets junky and polluted (now through mid-march is normal rainy season in so cal)....and pushing a kickboard down there for better conditioning.

I think the board is simply awesome!

It does take some time to learn how to handle it....but, what doesn't?

I winded up using bodysurfing, bodyboarding, and general surf knowledge PLUS to get the hang of it.

I'll post more as I am sure we have had similiar things happen and it's a learning curve to find the corrections.

Did you bodyboard first?

Oh, and I got a black one and slapped a shark camo B&W zebra decal on the bottom as fast as I could say "Looks like GW bait".

Next one will be yellow.

Isn't the speed amazing??? <laughter>

Talk about flying!

Cheers

Birdie
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Another Lindbergh Rider Reply with quote

Scooby has a big red Lindbergh paipo. Just a couple of months old. He's having password problems. He'll ride in soon enough.
Birdie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOooooo a red one!

Paul hinted at me in an email there would be more people wth them in so cal, soon.

I have to admit, mine gets a lot of attention when I have it out.

Even the old-time lifeguards are impressed with how fast it is....

Mine seems to, thankfully, want to drive down to the bottom of the wave, turn, come up the face and cruise in trim mode, maybe 2 feet down from the lip....and then....back down again and up and across if the wave allows....and so on...whaaa whaaa whaa

Also, if waves close out in front of me, I just make a hard turn the other way and get delivered out in front of the soup....does great 180 spins out of waves, too.

I went verrrry slow with mine at first.....I took it out on small days, just to swim around with it and see how it floated, submerged, reacted to water hitting it, and how to swim with it, duck dive....

It took me awhile! I took my time. I wasn't even interested in catching waves with it....I just had to make friends with it....

Plus, I am not the most patient person when there are waves, so, I am apt to simply drop learning and go grab a board I can quickly hop on waves with!

So, I would have short sessions on the Paipo, then....go get one of my old boards...

Finally, all those little sessions added up to where I felt confident going out to catch waves...period.

I had sorted out that it was more like body surfing....in terms of launching, and especially in smaller surf....and...I'd keep it out in front like a hand gun, one hand on deck, the other stroking, and kicking, and then, I'd pull the board under me....

I noticed in the bigger surf (6' + faces), I could get on the deck, have my right hand (for rights) up on the nose and could just kick into it! Like bodyboarding - The curl would be in back of my shoulder...not too far away. This was a very pleasant surprise.

I have a sense of security on it that I don't have with bodyboards. It's bigger and, I can see where you could think it was like a tanker, but, because it isn't floaty like BB's, you don't have that little lift they give you, and, that little lift lets you be more passive (this is true for all boards with foam)....

Once you realize that you need to get in position and then push your nose down and start kicking - stroke to launch - and do it with real intent and motivation....Whoosh - you're off.

I start leaning right away....as soon as I'm wave borne (or airborne as the case may be!)...Just start cranking....and oh yeah, it turns!

It turns much better than my bb's...

I think if you are too far back, there are control issues.

So, I've learned to splat myself up on the deck - I'm not afraid of pearling - pretty far up...if I am too far back, I start pulling myself forward.

If I am too far back, I tend to bounce more and have less control for turning...

It's a matter of, especially because of the speed, whether you are too far back and the horse is pulling you or if you are up closer to the nose and are driving the horse.

You were probably too far back to start off with....

Once you find that spot on the deck - where you become the driver, it changes everything.

Then...<laughter> it becomes a matter of charge! charge! charge!

Seriously, once I got the hang of it - it blew my mind.

Keep it up!

Birdie
stormseeker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Hawaii Paipo Designs Reply with quote

What a great surprise! First, to find such an excellent forum. Thanks for getting this up and running, Rod! Secondly, to come across this thread for Hawaii Paipo Designs.

I'm riding my third paipo from Hawaii Paipo Designs. The first board suffered fractures along the rails after two or three sessions. To my surprise, and to his credit, Paul replaced the board for the cost of shipping. The second board also developed hairline fractures but it's successor has held up nicely.

Getting up to speed on the paipo board has been a challenge. Part of that is due to an imbalance in the work:play ratio -- much too long of a gap between sessions. Another factor is a habit, deeply ingrained over the course of 25 years of bodyboarding, of using my inside elbow as a fulcrum at the wide point to pull up the nose in order to accelerate a turn. Works great with polyethylene if you don't mind the deep indentations on the deck; not so great with a stiff paipo board. Board length may also be at play. The paipo is 2.5" shorter than my custom made bodyboard. But Birdie's insights have renewed my hope that it's just a matter of fine tuning the fore to aft placement.

On those occasions when everything comes together, the board flies. And I suspect that there may be another gear that I've yet to tap into!

Thanks for sharing your expertise, Birdie. I'm really looking forward to the surf session this weekend.
Scooby
Grommet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Paul's Paipo's Reply with quote

Great discussion on the Paipo's guys! I just bought a HPD red, XL Plus about 2 months ago and its been quite an experience learning to ride it.
I weigh 240 lbs. and was told by Paul that the xl plus would be the best model for me because it has a little more meat in the middle of it for reinforcement purposes. Paul also said that the xl plus is the biggest seller so I guess there's more guys on the heavier side like me riding them. I think in terms of learning to ride it, its just a matter of putting the water time in and birdy is right; moving up on the board and experimenting on it until you find the "sweet spot" is key. I still don't have the board wired yet but I am getting progressively better at it each time I take it out. The main thing I need to work on is bottom turns. I build plenty of speed up coming down the line but slow up when turning. When I first got this board my friends, who are standups, were shocked because I was in the water 3 times longer then normal. Being with this board in the water doesn't tire you out at all. I could surf all day long which is something I haven't done in ages. Also the big winter waves are no problem with this board. You can dive so deep with these boards that you really don't feel the power of the wave breaking above you, you only hear it which is a weird sensation in itself. The result is that you are not in a panic to paddle as quickly as possible to get over the wave like everyone else, you just simply go under it.
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Birdie on the turns -- you've got to move up to the front of the board. I am way back, both hands on the board going in, kicking like a m*therf*cker. And as soon as you get the lift jump way up to the front (way more than a body board). I think one of the coolest things is I can go 90 degrees straight down the face and still pull a bottom turn. That never gets old. What I would like to develop is a higher trimming style on the wave, any suggestions?
Birdie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kage,

You are dead on about having to get closer up to the nose than on a BB. It's actually cozy up there - once I found *that* spot, my shoulder was happy too...righthand on nose & shoulder forward...You have to more-or-less move into just below the nose area and the nose...

About the trimming....

I don't know what sort of breaks outside of OB you are going to, but I spend most of my time at so cal right hand point breaks....rock reef.

I launch, as if I was body surfing, basically....I get to where the shoulders are, and I go inside of the surf line-up, at the line-up or outside of it for outside sets...depends.

In anyevent, I found the best way to launch is on a shoulder with the curl just a few feet behind me - and or the lip just getting to hurl next to me...and, I angle myself to the right.....so, as soon as the waves starts to lift me, I am already going right (and down)...then, I just keep cranking to my right the whole time....most of the time I get 1/2 or 3/4 the way back up the wave from the bottom and I stay there, until it closes out or I go out over the lip, into a channel, or spin out.

It sounds like you are going straight down and then turning....start off angled to the right (if it's a right), and just lean to your right the whole time - you'll go down, but will be cranking right and then, I'm probably arching my back, and pulling to get back up, the whole time I am leaning to my right....

I think we need to make a Paipo video.

Seriously.

Don't you bounce all over at OB when it is all sloppy on the inside?

I notice I get more bounce when I am too far back, but also chop and backwash send me flying - bouncing along...

I was coming down one 7 + footer - steep last week, and I was bouncing down it - it was wave 4 of 4. ...was a good size set, inside was a frothing chop zone from the previous 3....and backwash coming up the face I was on, which, yes, was making me bounce/fly across the face....I'd hit and *splash" get sprayed in the face, and then, off I'd bounce again...I couldn't see 3 times from spray/landings...finally, got back up the face and held my trim until I saw it start spitting a big white foamy left curl towards me, so just before I got to that, I made a hard left and caught that energy in front of the soup! Ta da!

But, since I wear contacts - that bounce/fly/spray business can be worrisome, besides the fact you can't see when it happens....I may get a pair of those Water Jacket sunglasses...I found a company that makes a $60.00 pair...I'll post that somewhere else....The water jackets are $180.00.... I think that it's primarily a winter swell issue...I mean, I don't expect to have the bounce/spray issue on glassy clean 4' faces in the summer and fall...unless there's a high tide/refraction/backwash issue. Some places that are a little covey get that....

Anyway, angle your take-offs...and crank to the right or left the whole time.....

I think the wave must accelerate about 3/4's the way up the face or *something*, because, once you get in that zone, it's trim heaven.

The Paipo loves that space and I recommend aiming for it.

It is basically, the same area I launch from...right, about 3/4's the way up the face.....I just have to go down a bit - travelling right - before I can get back up there....

I think by summer, I'll be much more accomplished on it.....

It takes time!

Birdie
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Plywood Guitar Pic Reply with quote

Here's an old plywood mystery board. Notice the similarity to the shape of the Lindbergh paipo.
Birdie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice home made one, Poobah!

Check out this Paipo Nui

Looks like a wood version of the HPD

Birdie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the Shark Camo decal on the bottom of my HPD Black XL.

Had to lose the Seal - Sea Lion likeness here in california - land of GWS.

Once I get another pix of it photoshopped, I'll post it so you can see how the whole decal fits.

If I did it again, I'd trim the decal, so, it was no longer rectangular but rather followed the same shape as the Paipo...which would make the decal smaller...but...there you go.

It also helps me FIND it, as all black in dark green water, turns into a game of hide and seek...

Black is great in clear tropical waters....but, bad for the eastern pacific.

Now, I just have to be concerned with a GWS nudging me - going "Hello there, you great big cleaner fish - I need to get my teeth done..."

Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Victorian Reply with quote

There have been some updates to the Surfresearch site. Most relevent to this thread is: http://www.surfresearch.com.au/00000193.html
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: