rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

preventing cramps

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: preventing cramps Reply with quote

Anyone have suggestions regarding preventing calf cramps. I'm familiar with the need for plenty of water, and potassium high foods but am interested in other suggestions.

No doubt conditioning helps, but my efforts prior to a recent surf just contributed to a massive cramp in both legs.

Any advice is appreciated,

Bob
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started paipo boarding a lot about 3 years ago and I initially got cramps all the time, especially in cold water, which is pretty much all year round where I live. I had been bodyboarding (not as often) prior to that and hadn't really been experiencing much cramping. I initially did not change swim fin design or brand when I switched over to the paipo but I have noticed that when I do switch fins, especially if they are stiffer, I will get cramps. I also can get cramps if the fins are too tight.

I used to eat bananas, drink plenty of water, started taking potassium pills even, but it really didn't seem to have much effect. They usually happened to me after a period of inactivity while waiting for a wave on the outside and then blasting into ultimate sprint mode from a dead stop in order to catch it. A cramp in both your legs can be a real bitch especially in heavy surf when you are bouncing around in the impact zone.

Short term strategies:

A) Properly sized fins.

B) When waiting for a wave:

1) slowly tread water making sure that you really move your ankles a lot when you do.

2) alternately massage the back of each calf with the front instep of the opposite foot.

If you get a bad cramp:

Dig your fingers into your calf and just knead the hell out of it to loosen it up. This doesn't hurt any more than trying to straighten out your leg which one tends to do involuntarily anyway, especially in rough surf.

Nevertheless, my leg cramps pretty much went away after about six months. I'm sure this was due almost entirely to conditioning.

In addition to paipo boarding at least a couple times a week (on average) I started to go to the gym two or three times a week and included lots of leg work. Warm up with treadmill and light leg lifts. Do alternate day heavy/light leg extensions, same with leg lifts and leg curls. Sessions on the rowing machine don't hurt either.

I also always mix in lots (10 per set) of deep one leg calf stretches where you put the ball of your foot on the edge of a stair step, hook the front of the other foot around the back of the Achilles tendon and slowly lower yor heel to the ground.

So paipo boarding and leg work is my prescription if you are a geezer like me.

OTOH, people always comment on how flexible my swim fins are so maybe it's all just a matter of having the right equipment.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might I add to Paipo Jim that sometimes your actual kick can contribute. The idea is/was you should use your whole leg pretty much from the hip on down to the tip of your fins. If you are concentrating movement on your ankles or below the knee you may be over stressing those areas.
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels wrote:
Might I add to Paipo Jim that sometimes your actual kick can contribute. The idea is/was you should use your whole leg pretty much from the hip on down to the tip of your fins. If you are concentrating movement on your ankles or below the knee you may be over stressing those areas.

Good point! It's that flipperdy-gibbet style of kicking that you can so easily develop bobbing around on those damn boogs. Probably was what was the matter with me. See - boogie-boarding is actually bad for your health!
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: cramps Reply with quote

Thanks,

The fins aren't too tight, so I suspect the areas I need to concentrate on are the condiitoning and technique. My background is stand-up. Given the suggestion about kicking from the hips, how much leg-bend should be going on. I take it that hinging from the knee is out.

thanks again

Bob
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
were you riding a long board, like a 5 footer? Were your upper legs hitting the tail of the board?
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Given the suggestion about kicking from the hips, how much leg-bend should be going on. I take it that hinging from the knee is out.

Poobah has a good point about size of your board... gotta factor it all in.

Rather than say there is a hard and fast rule about kicking with fins, it would probably be better to look at it as a whole. Distribute the pressures. Putting all/most stress on any one joint is going to hurt. Depending on your height, some size paipos/kneeboards/bodyboards won't let you use your whole leg. Sometimes you can adjust your position. Make sure you aren't concisously or subconsciously "freezing" your ankles - keep things fluid.

It is also good to remember that it's what is in the water that makes you move. Kicking on top of the water isn't going to get you the power you would get if your fins and legs are submerged. You will also tire out faster.

As far as amount of bend, you can work that out pretty easily just by treading water with your fins on. Vary it, maybe work up from your ankle to include your knees and hips. The idea is to get the most thrust with the least effort and least pain. If you have access to a pool that will let you use fins, even a home pool if it is big enough, put them on and swim underwater. Differences become obvious pretty quickly.

And then there is conditioning... no substitue for actually doing it.
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: length of board as an issue Reply with quote

Thanks for the further thoughts - the board is 56''. I gather that is long.

I'll pay attention to the contact issue and above/below surface issues.

Bob
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: