rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fins: stiff blades versus stiff thickened rails

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgreen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Fins: stiff blades versus stiff thickened rails Reply with quote

I know nothing much about swin fins, but have been looking into the subject and was interested in comments on the advantages & disadvantages of different types of fins (rather than the brands as such).

Because I haven't used fins before & wanted to minimise lower back strain I had been looking at smaller, lighter type of fin that was symmetrical, with a softer foot slot.

Fins seem to vary in terms of whether they had soft blades and hard, thick rails or stiff blades (some such as the Churchill slasher have a hard blade and rail). Reading descriptions by manufacturers doesn't help - they read like used car ads. I wanted the fins for a paipo board.

Any comments are appreciated,

Bob
Jon Davey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Swim fins Reply with quote

The main thing about swim fins is comfort. Nothing can ruin a paipo boarding session more quickly than ill-fitting, blister-causing swim fins. Just try on plenty in the shop. A decent supplier will even allow you to use a trial pair in the ocean so that you can gauge the difference - especially those shops that hire out kit by the hour! For paipoboarding on boards with minimum float - i.e ply, I've beeen experimenting with an adapted form of diving fin. Longer plastic blades with the foot pocket cut out to form a swim-fin like strap so that a fin saver can be used. These seem to give the extra bit of sustained thrust needed. It's also cheaper than the 'brand' names. You can then take your knife and experiment with the blade shape. Neoprene fin socks are also a must in my opinion.
AM_Glass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the fin selection/description at ebodyboarding.com They have several to choose from and thier own descriptions of the fins and what they like and don't like about any. There is a brand called NeoFins with a very soft foot pocket made of neoprene and a strap. I'd buy a pair if I had the $$ to burn.

If you want to get in over your head on fin discussion try the yahoo bodysurfing group. Dr. Greg Deets has customized the Voit Duck Feet and UDT model to work for us wave riders. He knows mucho about flippers.
Jon Davey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't like to dismiss any make of fins - but I've tried the Neofins and still have the scars to prove it !- They're highly talked-up and over-rated.
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can tell a lot about how a fin will work for you just by trying it on. I can tell right away wether a fin is going top work for me comfort wise without getting in the water and I agree that the comfort of the fin is most important. It also takes a while to get used to a fin and the way it works on the muscles of your legs and toes (especially in the beginning). Get ready for some cramps and noodley toes until you toughen up.
gcs
Matt Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey is right, comfort is key. However, my wife and I have Neofins II and they are very comfortable, adjustable, and average thrust, they also pack light for travel. I wear them without socks or tethers in smaller summer waves. I have had great results with tech fins and manta fins from Oz. The techs have a lot of thrust and burst speed. Heard nothing but good things about voit udts if they fit your feet. There is a new finsock/tether combination (sharkfin?) from SA that I bought at ebodyboarding.com that is the best fin innovation I've used in years - full ones for winter, open-toed for summer.

Good luck!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: