rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paipos in "Lords of Dogtown"?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Paipos in "Lords of Dogtown"? Reply with quote

I don't know if any of you guys have seen the LODT movie but there are some Alternative Wave Riding Vehicles (trademark?) shots in some of the scenes. I definitely saw a MAT! amongst the older guys under the pier early on. Also, there was what looked like a wood knee machine or surf ski in the Zephyr shop in two shots and what looked like the top of a balsa paipo or bellyboard leaning up against some other boards it another scene.

No paipo action pics though. Sad

Plus the skating (or surfing, for that matter) wasn't as good as Z-Boys.
Solo
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaipoJim,

You're right... there are surf mats in Lords of Dogtown. Over a year ago, Sony Pictures contacted me to design and build 5 of them (Neumatics
sans logos) for the movie.

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=8006;guest=2015789

The real-life surf mat/Dogtown connection is through LODT creative consultant Craig. R. Stecyk III, Z-Boys mentor and inspiration... writer, artist, photographer and hardcore mat surfer since the late 1960's. C.R.S. was the first to use the name "Dogtown".

"Pushing the old boundaries establishes new 'limits'. In actuality, the only limiting factor is that of your imagination. You can go as far as you want to take it, or perhaps more aptly as far as it takes you. After you leave the realm of traditional preconceptions, you enter the area of endless freedom. There exists no right or wrong, rules are unheard of, and the course is uncharted." - C.R. STECYK III

(Timeless words with direct application to paipo design and riding!)
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if there's only one in the movie where did the other four go? probably in some dusty back lot room in a box moldering away. maybe I'll let them know it's time for their annual tune up and test drive. purely a safety precaution. what studio did you say put out this movie? Very Happy
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Neumatic sold on ebay yesterday for $160. the seller said it was three years old and cost about $250 new. So it cost him $90 for three years. I reckon that's less than 8 cents per day. Pretty good when you consider that raft rentals 35 years ago were 50 cents per hour and $3.00 for the whole day.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7161025575&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Solo
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kage,

>"if there's only one in the movie where did the other four go?"

All five were custom designed for Sony LODT Props Dept., built to the same dimension and color, supposedly to be used as back-ups. I was told the stunt men loved them.

Interestingly, the specified mats were close to what would be appropriate for the height/weight of LODT artistic consultant, C.R. Stecyk... himself a real life mat surfer. Hmmm...
Solo
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah,

Re: the surf mat sold on eBay...

I remember the original owner. A nice guy who was coping with partial paralysis in his lower body, causing difficulty in kicking with swim fins. From the photos, the mat appears to be in excellent condition. All things considered, a sweet deal at $160.00. Surf mats like that have sold for well over 2X the price outside the USA.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: