rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Light Stinger Paipo
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AM_Glass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: RIP Reply with quote

After my last session I took the stinger home and glued it up and put another coat of varnish on the top and bottom. The glue didn't do the job. Most of one of the layers had released from the other and the wood had deformed into a bubble. I could have attacked it with glue but I didn't really have the patience so I let it be. This last Sunday the waves were perfect for it. Two ft hollow peelers that the shortboarders couldn't get into very well. It looked just like the day I first found the Stinger. I took it out and right away noticed the increased flexability. I nosedived on two of the waves and overflexed a bottom turn on another. I did get one that set-up well and I almost made it out of the barrel. Most were just drives and pull into the closeout barrel. By the tenth wave or so the bubble of delam gave up and a chunk of wood was floating beside me. To far gone to fix, too basic to bring home I left the stinger back where I had found it (except in the trach can, not in the sand.) I feel like the work I put into it was well worth the waves I got on it.

I also got to thinking about ways to gain strength and maintain flex. I wandered over to Hawaiian Paipo Designs and I think that's the way to go. A foam coare wrapped in fiberglass, a lightweight skimboard. Now I need to decide if I'd rather shell out $250 for one of his ready to ride, or $250 and try to make one (or two) of my own...

Anyone know where to get foam skimboard blanks around Santa Cruz?
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get sheets of low or high quality foam in various thicknesses at Hawiian Fiberglass on 17th. The hawaiian paipo I think is a sheet that has been scored and then vacuum bagged in a mold? I don't know anything about it except for looking at the part of my board where the pad was removed so I could put on a leash loop. Isn't 17th a little out of your nieghborhood? Very Happy
AM_Glass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one the road Nov 3rd driving home to Santa Cruz.

About the vacuum bagging and mold. Do you think that is making the paipo significantly stronger? Or is it a way to make alot of them quickly?

From the pictures on the HPD website it looks like the have alot of belly. I would be interested to know why, since my dead flat plywood board seemed to hold a line well and work fine while it lasted. My feeling is that the belly would make it harder to hold a high line and may be slower than a flat bottom.
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, maybe we can get a session here when you get back. The foam seems to be pretty saturated, it seems quite strong. I am guessing at the mold because it is turned up in the front and the sides at the front, and short of carving the whole thing out of one big peice I am not sure how else it could be done. As far as belly goes, it's pretty flat. It has about 3" of kick in the nose tapering back to dead flat at about halfway down the board, it holds a high line really well, partly because of the wide back (I think).
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM_Glass wrote:

<snip>

About the vacuum bagging and mold. Do you think that is making the paipo significantly stronger? Or is it a way to make alot of them quickly?

Vacuum bagging is generally employed for strength. A vacuum pressed laminated part tends toward a good low resin to cloth ratio. Vacuum infusion takes this one step farther in minimizing the resin ratio and ensuring a consistent and thourough wet out. Vacuum infusion in an autoclave additionally provides an optimal high strength resin cure.

Paul has told me he presses his boards but I do not know the methods or procedures he utilizes.

AM_Glass wrote:

From the pictures on the HPD website it looks like the have alot of belly. I would be interested to know why, since my dead flat plywood board seemed to hold a line well and work fine while it lasted. My feeling is that the belly would make it harder to hold a high line and may be slower than a flat bottom.

HPD boards have no belly or tail rocker and are completely flat on the bottom. The spoon nose has a rocker that rises only 1.5 inches and is completely flat after 7.5 inches. The angled rails drop from 1.5 inches to meet the bottom a few inches in front of the tail. They taper from 4 inches wide at the point that the nose rocker quits to nil at the tail.

I would estimate that approximately 70% of the surface area of the board is dead flat.
AM_Glass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less belly, that sounds better to me. Flat = Fast is what I was always taught. Any ideas why they have the angled rails? The kick in the nose would help avoid the nose dive which can be really bad and that part of the board isn't in the water most of the time anyway so I have no question of the usefullness of that feature.
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM_Glass wrote:
Any ideas why they have the angled rails?

The plan shape is a lot like a guitar pick. I've got to think from riding it that the angled rails keep you from burying the entire side of the deck when initiating a bottom turn.
AM_Glass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was revisiting Rod's site and ran across this thread I started. I never posted photos because my hard drive crashed and had to be replaced, long gone now. I'm in Santa Cruz and kneeboarding mostly but I did get out on my mat yesterday in some 4'+ shorepound. More fun than expected and longer rides than if I had just been bodysurfing. Reading this thread reminded me of that great session I had on the little plywood skimboard. I really liked it but I really didn't like how it failed me in the middle of a good session, and that was in East Coast waves. Is there a cheap, easy, strong, flexable option out there for puling under the Pacific piledriver lip of a 4'+ wave?

P.S. I miss the warm water of the Atlantic in summer.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: