rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buiding the'Acid Drop', a Redwood/Pine Orbulator Spoon
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyStewart

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Buiding the'Acid Drop', a Redwood/Pine Orbulator Spoon Reply with quote

Hi, I thought that it would be a good idea to post these construction pictures here rather than on the fin experimentation thread. The 'Acid Drop' is conservatively spooned (As were the early Greenough Balsa spoons) unlike the glass bottomed flex spoons. The board will be 1 3/4" thick, and the bottom will be a 3 layer chambered structure of 3/4". This link shows (so far) the lower deck panel and bottom panel.

http://www.woodensurfboardbuilder.com/Paipo_page.html
AM_Glass

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at the wooden boards which are being made around the world. I've considered trying my hand at it but I'm intimidated due to my lack of experience, space, and tools. I think a hollow/chambered paipo would be a great place for me to start. Please continue updating your thread as new info becomes available.
RoyStewart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Paipo spoon Reply with quote

Hi AM_Glass,
It is actually really easy to do, it just takes time. If you want to go for it I can help you avoid all the little mistakes I have made over the years.
My advice is to start now, if not sooner. Do you have a 6' long bench and a piece of ply 6' x 12"+ ? If so you can start today! You will also need a pencil, a piece of string, two nails and a hammer. Any Questions?

Regards, Roy

PS Regarding space, you can do it outside under a tarpaulin or in any room bigger than 6 feet long. you can park work in progress under your bed, stack it up against the wall, or hang it from the ceiling.
AM_Glass

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apreciate your vote of confidence, but space is truly limited. I live in a 1 bedroom basement apartment with my girlfriend. Any work I do would have to be outside and I couldn't bring the mess in with me and I couldn't leave it outside (landlord.) That being said we'll be moving back to Santa Cruz in a few months. That's where my dad is and he has: tools, experience, and space. My faith in the future is the reason I'm interested in gaining ideas now.
John Mellor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I'm not butting in...

If you live near one, have you considered signing up in a woodworking course at a local junior college? The fee is usually minimal and they often have tons of great woodworking tools and supplies.
RoyStewart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Spoon Construction progress Reply with quote

I accidentally posted the same message twice and don't know how to delete it so I had better put something in here.

I am setting the board up to take a single fin, a set of fish fins or an orbulator.
RoyStewart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Spoon Construction progress Reply with quote

Here's the internal frame panel for the bottom lamination. The next step is to laminate the three bottom panels together on the rocker jig.

RoyStewart

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Building the 'Acid Drop" Reply with quote

. . . and here is the fin blocking and the laminating process is now underway . . .
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Spoon Construction progress Reply with quote

RoyStewart wrote:
Here's the internal frame panel for the bottom lamination. The next step is to laminate the three bottom panels together on the rocker jig.

Roy, do you use clamps on all the little pieces? Or contact cement?
RoyStewart

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Poohbah (G),

All the small rail blocks and struts are glued together with epoxy glue, and held in place with bricks while the glue is setting. Then the panels are sanded smooth before laminating. The bottom of the board is now setting under three layers of bricks. I will leave it for a few days as the resin is a little bit slow to cure.

I hope that your new years resolutions are happening!

Regards, Roy
RoyStewart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Paipo construction Reply with quote

And here's the completed bottom lamination, ready for the upper deck.

AM_Glass

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geezzz! That thing is alot bigger than I thought it was going to be. I know from looking around your website you go for the bigger hunks of wood. I figure that the increased size will keep wood between your body and the water= less drag, but I wonder how well you'll be able to control it. Consider me paitintly awaiting your maden voyage report.
RoyStewart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello AM_Glass,
My last Paipo was 5'9" x 21". It was nice, but I thought "I wonder how a wider one will go?" There's only one way to find out! I'll keep you posted.
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice! will there be a fin? prone or kneelo style?
RoyStewart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kage,
The machine will have a ten inch diameter 'orbulator' and has internal blocking for a central fin option.

I imagine that prone or kneelo style will be possible.

Regards, Roy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: