rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello All

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AM_Glass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Hello All Reply with quote

I've checked this website weekly to see what-all's going on in the alternate surfing world. I never felt the need to register but this last weekend something happened that I want to share.

The waves were small but the light offshore breeze made them look beautiful and held them up long enough to get a zippy ride. I went out for a bodysurf while my friend went out on his shortboard. He was getting okay rides but the smaller ones would roll under him when he stood up. I suggested he try a belly ride on a small one. Now this guy has been tolerating being around me with my surf mat, handboard, and bodysurfing for awhile but he's always thought a bit less of me for staying prone when I can stand. That is until he caught one of the small ones and stayed laying down. I watched out the back and could tell that he managed the turn and was flying along the wave. He pulled out of the wave with a smile as he looked back at me. He paddled back out and said he was seeing why I've been riding laying down lately, it makes the small waves fun. He's taken his first step toward paipoism.

A bit later I brought out my handboard. It's homemade, similar to the ones sold on the Hand Board Company website. I was getting some decent rides and was even able to hold a fast line and ride in the small tube for a ways before it caught up to me. After seeing that my friend borrowed the handboard and caught a few. Again he was surprized at how well it worked. We were bodysurfing, but he got a longer and faster ride with the handboard.

So anyway, that's it. I just wanted to share that I've been enjoying the prone arts and working to drag others down with me.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just wanted to share that I've been enjoying the prone arts and working to drag others down with me.

Classic...right up there with Ambrose of Swaylock's and his surfmat comment about "lowering the bar".

Welcome.
baidarka
Matt Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Classic...

I concur. Welcome!

-Seamus
Phantom
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Did Somebody Say Bar? Reply with quote

Seamus,
Just made a Handboard using a paddle blade I had laying the dock, glued on some neoprene similar to the Wave Blade deal and got a lil stuff sack with waistband, to carry along onboard...the quintessential multiple wave conditions set up! The rumors are true, it did break for a whole week Strait.....
baidarka
Matt Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Wasn't me. Reply with quote

Hey Phantom,

Functional recycling...clever, as always. I have often pondered riding whole shaft (at 90 degrees feathered); perhaps increasing the planing area of the front blade. Someday I'll reconsider my relics on the rack.

Rumors?...I believe you. I've been on vacation too, but I have the little one to look after. This Fall I'll be back in the routine. Might take him on his first extended north coast stroll in late September. He's in training, at the present.

Ol' Abner will be receiving a large tunnel fin in a week or so. Sorry.

P.S. - Nice cameo on local craftsman's website!
Phantom
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Whole Shaft Reply with quote

Seamus,
As you undoubtably know, the Whole Shaft Tecknique is taught in any Kayak Surf Rescue course worth their salt. The 90 degree blade at your stern is your fin. Hard to find any 90 degree blades anymore, I cut my last one into a handboard. Ol` Abner has suffered so many beatdowns, sticking on an anallur fin is no big deal. I think you should rake the deal a bit.What happened to the term "Orbulator"? I found a surf spot by Tunnel Island, damned if was going to start calling it "Orbulator"..
baidarka
Matt Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phantom,

Indeed, it is a commonly taught technique, however, I have not yet tried it for the sole intent of surfing enjoyment. It also seems ripe for enhancement(maybe some pipe insulation on the shaft would be prudent as well). The handboard board plan is something else to add to my project list. I like how yours will be transported.

Yeah, it is an Orbulator, as per Poobah. Sometimes (often?) this specialized terminology escapes me. Since I'll have a few of 'em, one of them should be raked.

Does anybody near your place of emplyment sell heavy duty shrink wrap for covering boats? I want to skin a small diameter PVC paipo frame with it.
Phantom
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Shrink Wrapped Reply with quote

A Paipodarka! Go with the stuff the skin and frame guys use,it will accept a myrid of painted design applications.Source it from Sea Kayaker, or the Wooden Boat Center, on Lake Union. Yeah, riding the paddle in puts the fun back in a situation gone south. Currently working on the longboard version with the other blade.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Did Somebody Say Bar? Reply with quote

Phantom wrote:
Seamus,
Just made a Handboard using a paddle blade I had laying the dock, glued on some neoprene similar to the Wave Blade deal and got a lil stuff sack with waistband, to carry along onboard...the quintessential multiple wave conditions set up! The rumors are true, it did break for a whole week Strait.....

Heard through the grapevine that you had a very nice week in your country. Excellente!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hello All Reply with quote

AM_Glass wrote:
I've checked this website weekly to see what-all's going on in the alternate surfing world. I never felt the need to register but this last weekend something happened that I want to share.

Welcome on-board!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: