rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noseriding and Paiporiding

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Noseriding and Paiporiding Reply with quote

The latest issue of LongBoard Magazine has a lengthy article devoted to noseriding on longboards. In the article, fab Hawaiian surfer Noah Shimabukuro says of noseriding, "It's that sensation of having no board in front of you - just you and the wave. And somehow it's more than that, it's spiritual...a feeling as if there was MORE there than just you and the wave."
Now, as I read this, I immediately thought to myself, "Whoa, dude, you ought to feel what it's like to be on a paipo, heading face-first down the line into a critical section, getting covered up right down there at surface level, fingers wrapped around the nose, and DEFINITELY with no board out in front of you from start to finish!"
Now, I happily ride longboards - and I have some great classic singlefins - but I think we paipo riders occupy a very special place in the world of surfing. Noseriding is a cool thing, but it's way overworshipped by the masses. I also think most noseriding is all wrapped up in ego, while the paipo rider is getting a way more meaningful experience almost every time on a wave, and it's an experience that isn't generally a cause for getting all puffed up about one's skills in front of one's peers. Paipo riding is just good, sweet, basic, pure surfing!
Don't y'all also see a lot of arrogance and flamboyance in the world of mainstream surfing?
baidarka
Matt Master

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to my first paipo experience, I was very skeptical. A fellow I ran into, upon learning of preferences for ocean fun, sketched a crude outline out on a piece of paper. He assured me that I would enjoy the results. Eventually I got around to cutting some scrap plywood and gave it a halfhearted try. What an eye opener!! Although I had been standing up, kneeling and kayaking for a while, this was something exciting. From that day on, I have tried to belly ride during each visit to the sea. I have not been let down yet. Even junk waves have something to offer from the prone perspective.

As for the mainstream, up here we are but a tributary, of a tributary, of the main industry current(O.K., there are some grand imitations). Regardless of what craft I am attending to, I am usually in the water alone. When I must interact, the other wave riders have been accepting and often inquisitive. Despite their interest, I have yet to see another knee or paipo rider in the line up. There are rumors, however, of ghostly presence plying the waters of the PNW. The thin, clean, phosphorescent lines scored into chilly gray walls by Phantom. Perhaps our minimal wakes will cross one day.

-Seamus
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't y'all also see a lot of arrogance and flamboyance in the world of mainstream surfing?

Mainstream surfing is currently suffering from the mass advertising-induced illusion that standing on a board is the equivilent of walking on water in the Biblical sense. Mass media has turned surfing first into golf, and I suspect now in the summer of 2004 it basically is a reason to shop. Of course these observations apply primarily to the masses. In many ways I think the flood of new waveriders may allow the non-mainstream to flourish as there are just so many people in the water now nobody can keep track. Bodyboarding has gone from being a high numbers profile/high participation activity to total underground thrill. The world of mats and paipos is opening up. Bodysurfing is getting press just because there isn't any money in it.

Maybe it's easiest to hide in a city.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Noseriding and Paiporiding Reply with quote

tumak wrote:

I sometimes carry a riding crop when I go out for a walk, and I've never owned or even ridden a horse. People who don't know me probably jump to the conclusion that I'm some sort of patrician snob. They don't know that my father read me Edgar Allen Poe and Robert Service poetry for bedtime stories. Gomez Addams was one of my favorite role models when I was growing up. The surf Nazi thing has lost its charm. Try going to the beach wearing a French firemans helmet or something like that. Dare to be different.
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets come up with a "Gomez Addams Model" paipo...that would be cool! I can see it now! Ha ha ha!...and then the "Lurch Model" will go into production...
One more thing about noseriding and paiporiding: today in Brevard County the waves are TINY...they're tiny and they're PERFECT. I went out with the Mysterious Turtle, with a small fin installed, and got cover-up after cover-up. Little crystalline barrels...just watched lip after lip fold over in Greenoughesque splendor. No longboard noserider could've had that experience...unless they eyes in their ankles. There probably was an Addams ancestor who had eyes in his ankles, but I haven't encountered anyone like that around here yet!
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, Poobah...my idea is to score a white turban with a big red ruby thing on the front to go surfing with. Problem is, with my beard, I might be mistaken for Osama or something! Ha ha ha!
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tumak wrote:
Lets come up with a "Gomez Addams Model" paipo...that would be cool! I can see it now! Ha ha ha!...and then the "Lurch Model" will go into production...

And of course a handboard named Thing.

Birdie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing, the Handboarder, wears a pinkie ring...

Just look at that tan line!

Birdie
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: