rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

El Paipo #5229

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: El Paipo #5229 Reply with quote

Here's the El Paipo that was so inspirational to John Galera 15 years ago. John, I'd like to hear about the first wave, or the first good wave you rode with this board. What can you remember about it?

http://www.lamaroos.org/sitebuilder/images/5229EP01-593x446.jpg
John Galera

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: El Paipo Reply with quote

The guy in the picture is my best friend Bert Rickard. He got this board for his birthday present in April 1969. About six months later, I made my first foam paipo, we called it the 45 caliber(short of shaped like that).
Bert rode this board through 1975, than he got of put it away.

I took it out about 1984 to 6-8' Laniakea. The board is really fast, the bottom is perfectly flat, the top is dugout, and creates a nice pocket to lean into bottom turns. Bert knows my fear of skegged boards, so I never really rode it but that once. I don't remember him ever letting me ride it when we were kids. I had a habit of destroying boards.

I plan on copying it, and making a thruster same basic design, maybe I can get him back in the water. He was wondering if anyone saw a El Paipo like his before, and about how much it might be worth now.
Thanks Poobah for posting it! Aloha John
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: El Paipo #5229 Reply with quote

There was a thread a while back about what's on your walls, and Kneeridin listed a 5' El Paipo Spoon. John, you said the fin hummed. Was it a glassed on fin? As for what's the board worth...I'd find it hard to put a price on a time machine that can take you back to 1969. Especially a birthday present. I could see some ebayer paying $250 or more for the board. Maybe Kneeridin will chime in sometime soon, and tell us how much he paid for his spoon.
John Galera

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: El Paipo Reply with quote

This particular board has a box skeg. The skeg has two screws both for and aft that secure the skeg to the box. I asked Bert to post his comments on the board.
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: El Paipo Reply with quote

John Galera wrote:
This particular board has a box skeg. The skeg has two screws both for and aft that secure the skeg to the box. I asked Bert to post his comments on the board.

Hi John,

Yeah, that is definitely an El Paipo Spoon with what I'll bet is the same short Wave Set or Fins Unlimited ( I forget....let me look in the attic - nope, still can't tell) that my old G&S has. They came in either lexan or black. one of these days I'll have to get around to telling the tale of the Three Free Day which is about how I wound up with the one I have now.....

Put it this way, if it's the short base, there are some original Windsurfer fins that can fit and they cut down nicely with a sur-form to a more useful size.

My late fellow kneeboarder Gumpa Hoag had one - it was kinda nice, went like the proverbial ape from what I thought of as a kinda forward position, lets say your knees were 8" or so back of the decal? Least, that's what I remember of it....

best

doc................
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blessed, or cursed, as I am with a pretty good memory for locating things I've stashed away...I researched the El Paipo Foam Spoon. Have in the archives a couple of good ads for the foam spoon from summerish 1969, none of which have much more detail than 60" length. In the text ad which I first have mentioning the Foam Spoon, somewhere in there it says El Paipo was using Fins Unlimited fin systems.

Got some photos of the Newport Paipo Concave Vector online...another fairly pristine vintage classic.

http://vagabondsurf.com/PaipoNewportConcaveVector.html
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Concave Vector..... Reply with quote

Lordy lordy - give it red fins and that's my first board.....

As to the fin system on the El Paipo - http://vagabondsurf.com/PaipoGrabs.html shows the long-box version, I think.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: El Paipo #5229 Reply with quote

Yes! Yes! Doc is right about the windsurfer fins fitting in Bert's El Paipo. The two screw Fins Unlimited was used only for a couple of years on surfboards and kneeboards, but they were still glassing those boxes and using the two screw FU fins on windsurfers for at least 15 years (in my neck of the woods.) In fact up until about ten years ago you could still buy brand new fins in windsurfer shops, and Mitch's surf shop in La Jolla still sold the long slider boxes. A couple years back Kneeridin wanted a fin for one of his El Paipos, and I couldn't find any new ones at the windsurfer shop. I eventually found a used red fin in the tall grass of Barnacle Bob's Surf Emporium. Shorter than the surfboard fin, but very stiff plastic. Could be just the thing to solve the fin humming problem of Bert's El Paipo. I'll keep my eye out for one, and please do the same. Keep an out out for old winsurfers that might have a two screw FU fin in them. Some folks might sell you the whole thing for $35, or even pay YOU to haul the windsurfer to the dump. Those fins usaully add about a $100 to the value of a transitonal surf or kneeboard. Better still...those windsurfer fins allow us to get some old paipos back into the water.
Kneeridin
Matt Master

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: El Paipo #5229 Reply with quote

Poobah wrote:
There was a thread a while back about what's on your walls, and Kneeridin listed a 5' El Paipo Spoon.

That's the board - flat, spooned and fast. The first 2" of the rail are thicker than the body of the board. El Paipo spoons used FU boxes and fins. Mine had some damage repair done by the previous owner and some goober filled the fin box with resin and layers of glass. It may be that all that glass and resin have stiffened the base of the fin, but there is no vibration. I picked it up on ebay for a buck-fourty. It's a rocket on a big wave.

The shorter "Blue Flame" El Paipo spoon in the pics was the recipient of the red fin from Barnacle Bob's Camp for Homeless Boards.
Kneeridin
Matt Master

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: El Paipo #5229 Reply with quote

[/quote]The shorter "Blue Flame" El Paipo spoon in the pics was the recipient of the red fin from Barnacle Bob's Camp for Homeless Boards.[/quote]

oops...
http://www.rodndtube.com/asc/reports/2003/0516guys/2003_0516guys.shtml
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: