rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old paipo ads
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Old paipo ads Reply with quote

Ahoy,
did you see these ads on Nels site?
http://vagabondsurf.com/VintagePaipoAds.html
I'm sure Chet will like the Newport ad.

Poobah
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoo boy, the Newport Paipo Concave Vector - one of those was my first board. Clear, with what I recall as a colored foam stringer - yellow-green in color, maybe. It was a long time ago.

The Stub Vectors weren't bad either, though I never saw one of the Wedge Vectors in person.

Wonder how many of those are kicking around in basements and attics and the like. It'd be kinda fun to take out a Concave Vector and show the bodyboarders how it's done.

doc...........
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the magazine that top ad was in. I always wondered about riding down the highway like that. I think something really weird would happen.
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, friends of mine used to go down the road on motorcycles with their 6'+ surfboards lashed on their Hondas...and those 125 Yamaha Enduros didn't have a lot of zip. Of course, they were crazy.....

Though going through the woods could get kinda abrupt, what with low branches and all. Instant hand-board.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Old Ads Reply with quote

In case anybody here is a weekend internet surfer, there will be some new Old Paipo Ads at vagabondsurf.com soon - by 1/21/04 at latest.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

I got 'em up. Not as clear as earlier ads, but you'll get the drift.

http://vagabondsurf.com/PaipoAdIndexPage.html

Enjoy.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Ahoy Kneeridin Reply with quote

Kneeridin (if he's who I think he is) has a quiver of El Paipos and a Newport (single fin?)
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kneeridin (if he's who I think he is) has a quiver of El Paipos and a Newport (single fin?) up in Lake Woebegone. So far the League only has one photo of part of his collection.

We MUST have better photos of the source materials. Just seeing that pintail El Paipo reminded me of putting one through the paces on a gray stormy day at Zuma in 1977, borrowed from a Hawaiian friend who was given it by a neighbor. Pintails, by the way, don't make for comfortable prone riding and wiping out...
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels wrote:
Kneeridin (if he's who I think he is) has a quiver of El Paipos and a Newport (single fin?) up in Lake Woebegone. So far the League only has one photo of part of his collection.

We MUST have better photos of the source materials. Just seeing that pintail El Paipo reminded me of putting one through the paces on a gray stormy day at Zuma in 1977, borrowed from a Hawaiian friend who was given it by a neighbor. Pintails, by the way, don't make for comfortable prone riding and wiping out...

I have a ton of pics of Kneeridin's boards - we spent a cold, rainy afternoon down at the Delaware shore shooting pics from several angles and taking measurements and taking description notes for each board. The pics reside on my hard drive and the notes sheets in hard copy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Rod - then that means you're holding! You started this whole internet paipo thing, remember your responsibilities! Sleep means nothing when we're dealing with knowledge!

!!! Heh heh.
Kneeridin
Matt Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Pictures Reply with quote

LOB - you are correct in your thinking. Rod has pics and specs. I have since added another Newport twin fin and have the matching pair exactly like the ones in the Vagabond ad (freaky, I saw the ad last week, well after the additions to the quiver). The single fin Newport, in perfect shape, was my first purchase and board of choice.

Last fall I picked up another 4'6" El Paipo kneeboard with a green marbled underside and original FU box and fin. It's in the shop getting some rough spots on the rails patched and/or filled. The other "Blue Flame" has the red fin you scored from Barnacle Bob.

Just added another after a sucessful bid:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22710&item=3658642894&ssPageName=STRK:MEBWN:IT

I'll try to get pics this weekend for L of L.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Checkered Demon Reply with quote

Yes, I like that checkered board. And for only $112.50 you got to really like it. Old school fins, but toed in. You reminded me I need to pay a visit to Barnacle Bob. I haven't ventured into his back yard for a while.
Jeff Chamberlain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over 15 years some friends and I signed up for what then was one of the first 'surf camps', a long weekend out on Todos Santos Is. off of Ensenada. Long before it became a big surf mecca, it was famous for some quality waves, out and away from the masses. Sounded like a good idea at the time.

Once there, we came to find out our host was a 'Bud Hulst', a pretty eccentric character and supposedly the originator and owner of 'Newport Paipo'...? I won't go into the story of that weekend here, but it was interesting to finally meet Mr. Newport Paipo. I too had had my imagination fired as a grom by those ads in SURFER. It was funny to finally meet the guy in such an out of the way location. Not sure if he's still with us, but at that time you could tell he was really into the marketing of things and making a name for himself within the industry.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Updated, if you could call it that Reply with quote

There are some new Old Paipo Ads up...more food for thought.

http://vagabondsurf.com/PaipoAdIndexPage.html
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels,

Thanks for posting those old ads. I have most of those in old magazines from that Golden Era. I really agree with your sentiments about clutter. I'm fairly convinced that our "memory loss" we experience through aging is really just a product of having acquired so much stuff and having met so many people! I'm always looking around me and saying, "I gotta get rid of all this stuff!" It's hard though, as we form attachments to objects and all manner of materials from the past.
That one El Paipo ad, the one with the triplane on top and old English print, has a roundtail whose outline seems a lot like my new Mysterious Turtle model. Having looked at that ad for the past 35 years in what I remember to be an old SURFER magazine (July '68?), I realize that that board was always really cool to me...it must've subconsciously informed the making of the Mysterious Turtle!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: