rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Perimeter Stringers??

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woodstock

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Perimeter Stringers?? Reply with quote

Me again.
I've done some surfing over the last couple of weeks on wooden boards, both hollow and solid, as well as foam boards of every shape and size. I did some more research, and I found out about "perimeter stringers".

According to this feller, perimeter stringers like these can be made into a decent board by just gluing plywood to the tops and bottoms. Anyone have any experience with these?
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never built one but I have seen several boards built with that method.
There is a bit more to it then "just gluing plywood to the tops and bottoms" but it's certainly another valid way to construct a surfboard.
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh
Woodstock

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Grumpy wrote:
I've never built one but I have seen several boards built with that method.
There is a bit more to it then "just gluing plywood to the tops and bottoms" but it's certainly another valid way to construct a surfboard.

Well, I was thinking of adding another stringer down the middle for stability, if nothing else, but I'm leaning away from the "fishbone" technique for simplicity's sake.
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't open the perimeter stringer link posted but some searching suggested two uses of the term: 1) the rails are made of wood and are in effect stringers and 2) there is no central stringer but 2 stringers approximately parallel to the rail.

The issue of perimeter stringers was raised on a skimboard forum I came across - http://www.skimonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1408

& on a hollow board forum

http://www.grainsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4512

Personally, experiment with this if you like, but I think you'll find that there is much more to learn from all the boards that you have tried than you may realise. I still am learning to ride boards I have spent hundreds of hours riding.

Bob
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an upcoming interview with a board shaper in Seattle, Washington, we discussed foam/fiberglass considerations when building and riding EPS/epoxy paipos, and the effects on overall weight, balanced weight distribution across the board and board stiffness. We discussed stringerless, single stringer, triple stringer and stringer-in-rail. He has found that having a wood stringer-as-rail to be a good solution. Experimentation continues...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Perimeter Stringers?? Reply with quote

Woodstock wrote:
Me again.
I've done some surfing over the last couple of weeks on wooden boards, both hollow and solid, as well as foam boards of every shape and size.

Cool. Where do you find wooden boards to test ride??
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod,

From memory, in the interview when you asked about three stringers I recall Steve saying this wasn't necessary as a means to to add weight. A single stringer with a heavier glass job was the preferred option. The stringer was seen as a means to add some stiffness and I'm not sure if it was in the interview or elsewhere, I've read it is also a means to centre the shaping of a board.

Experiment by all means, but you have to be careful to discard a design before you ride it in lots of conditions (complete dogs excepted). The other question, is that the rail line probably operates quite differently on a paipo.

Oz,

Before I bought a board from Tom Wegener I met him at the beach. He brought maybe 7 wood boards for me to try. After I surfed them one after the other, we then e-mailed to finalise a design.

A neat way to do things.

Bob
Woodstock

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a couple of guys at the beach who had wooden boards. One said he bought his in Hawaii, whereas another said he bought a kit from Grainsurf.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgreen wrote:
Rod,

From memory, in the interview when you asked about three stringers I recall Steve saying this wasn't necessary as a means to to add weight. A single stringer with a heavier glass job was the preferred option. The stringer was seen as a means to add some stiffness and I'm not sure if it was in the interview or elsewhere, I've read it is also a means to centre the shaping of a board.

Experiment by all means, but you have to be careful to discard a design before you ride it in lots of conditions (complete dogs excepted). The other question, is that the rail line probably operates quite differently on a paipo.
Bob

Absolutely! Yes, we started talking during the introduction to the project and before the recorder was set and one time I believe the pause was on for too long. Getting around to reading and annotating the interview soon!

Yes, Steve did say that glassing was a good way to add weight on an EPS/epoxy board. He also commented on the negatives of multi-stringer boards removing flex.

P.S. Thanks Bob for transcribing Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rod,

Transcribing isn't the funnest part of it all - there must be some karma points involved. It's for a good cause though.

Besides holding the pause button on for too long, other problems are background noise (kids with music in the next room or cars come to mind) . I've also kicked myself that I have missed stuff by not turning on the tape early enough. Sometimes people just start talking and I have to stop them and ask if I can tape, missing some gems. This is mainly with phone interviews.

Back on topic, none of my fibreglass paipo have stringers. I had to laugh at John Galera's explanation of what appear to be stringers on a couple of his boards- just to confuse people who try to imitate.

Tom Wegener is a strong advocate of flex (as are mat riders). The question of optimal flex vs stiffness is worth considering.

Bob
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flex is fun! Very Happy
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The question of optimal flex vs stiffness is worth considering.
There is also type of flex, how "snappy" or "soft" it is. Just compare the flex of a partially inflated mat ie magic towel vs that of a fiber glass Velo type KB. The first is a noodle, the second like spring steel. Early Morey boogies were very soft and mushy flex. I never rode one of those but Dale Solomonson told me he much preferred their performance characteristics to the super stiff ones that are now "state of the art". But of course that depends on what you want the flex to do! Do you want it to store and return energy (Velo style) or to conform to changing wave contour as you ride (mat)?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: