rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Early Tow-In Board

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> For Sale, Wanted or Trade
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kneeridin
Matt Master

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Early Tow-In Board Reply with quote

On ebay, a tow-in Paipo for those XXL sessions at Mavericks:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22710&item=3671655266&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tow in, no. Among the last things El Paipo made, yes. Not only that, it is, in a way, a historical item, 'cos it has an example of why El Paipo went under. See, it has The Worst Fin System Ever Perpetrated On A Kneeboard.

see http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3671655266&indexURL=3&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

See, back in the day, there was the WAVE Set fins, both short box and long box. One of my old boards has one of the short versions, as did the early Windsurfers. The long box went on a lot of boards like Weber Skis, Bings, that sort of thing.

But....there was another one, sort of; The Variable WAVE Set. It was a sort of fin box that fit inside the long WAVE Set box, held in by a couple of round head Allen screws, and it had this little stainless steel slider that lived in there, slid back and forth and there was a fin that fit in it.

That was a beauty. See, you had this Greenough Stage IV fin, full sized, usually made of Lexan. The base of the fin was mebbe 1/4"-3/8" thick. But.....

That's where the problem came in, 'cos the arrangement that held it to the fin box and the adjustment system was also Lexan. About 1/8" thick Lexan. About as strong as the plastic a CD is made out of, except more brittle. Kinda like a CD case....weak, weak, weak.

Make a hard turn....snappo. Make a bottom turn in shallow water....snappo. Bump the damned thing...snappo. It was a great marketing system for fins. Unfortunately, they didn't make many fins for it. They made fin-box-insert and fin units, and that's how they sold 'em.

Well, we sold Weber Skis with that fin system. And had lots of unhappy customers. We also had a few El Paipos, with what was almost but not quite the same fin base, like this one does. I owned one, for 18 hours. Lousy fins. Lousy board into the bargain, a twin fin that couldn't hold an edge if ya tried to surf it in Karo syrup, let alone sea water.

That fin is not just extinct, it was awfully rare when it was brand new. 99% of those made with that base were dinky, about 4" long by mebbe a 3" base length, for twin fins. It's a wall-hanger, that board. Or else rip out the old box and put in a Fins Unlimited box.

good luck. Not me.

doc.....................
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pulled behind a boat!?! somehow that just doesn't sound like something I'd want to say about my board.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Ski Reply with quote

Glass two 6 foot poles on the bottom, and you can be carried around the beach by four bearers. Much more stylish than being towed behind a boat.

I do like the template of the board. I'm surprised somebody didn't glass a fin into the box already. The board is fortunate to be dinged. It's ugly enough to be a rider, and not be condemmed to life as a collectible.
Kneeridin
Matt Master

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There is a fin slot, but I do not have the fin."
doc wrote:
....snappo.
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kneeridin wrote:
"There is a fin slot, but I do not have the fin."
doc wrote:
....snappo.

Exactly.

It wouldn't be a big deal to rout out the old box and replace it with a new short Fins Unlimited box. Though it's a 47" long kneeboard, which kinda makes it limited.

I can't think of anm easy way to make a fin for it that'd alsoi be strong, unless you start thinking epoxy/carbon/kevlar...... the real fun comes in with changing the direction of the laminations so it had some real oomph to it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> For Sale, Wanted or Trade All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: