rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any builders in San Diego?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For real. Paipo boarding for me has always been about huge amounts of fun derived from something ridiculously simple & cheap. You could knock out a functional board this afternoon & be riding tomorrow morning. Just cut out a tombstone or English belly board shape from a piece of 1/2" - 3/4" common plywood, sand the edges smooth, and coat with a quick dry sealer. Even if your cutting isn't perfect, the board will still work. As the ad says, "Just do it!"
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, all you need is a workable planing surface.

I''ve watched the WBC footage from a few years and seen the video of the kids etc - they are having fun, they're just not the sort of waves I like surfing and I'd build boards for.

Let's see what woodstock comes up with.
RNT808

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloha Sam,
It’s great to see someone new showing an interest in Paipo. It can be a very enjoyable and satisfying pursuit, and most of all, fun!
You’ve been getting some excellent advice on this forum for your first project and I would like to echo those ideas by saying K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Sam). Looking around this site and all over the Web you can find some great examples of beautiful, innovative and even weird Paipo that have been made over the years but “five’ll get ten” that the builders of those boards started out very simple.

Soulglider’s advice for a 20”X48” piece of ½” ply is a great place to start. If the idea of a rectangular board is a little too basic for you, trace the nose of your Grandfather’s board onto it and cut it out. Sand down the rails so you don’t get splinters, give it a quick seal and get it and yourself wet. And by that I mean get in the water and catch some waves.

Paipo are, or at least should be, made to be ridden. Once your wave sense, body position and other water skills develop and once you’ve experienced the joy of Paipo riding, all kinds of ideas about building the next one will just come naturally. Trust me!

If you want to expand your mind about Paipo go to http://mypaipoboards.org/ and click on Interviews. Rod and Bob Green have done a terrific job of providing probably the best Paipo resource in the world there. You’ll not only learn about all different kinds of builders and their boards but you’ll also get a feeling for the spirit that is at the core of Paipo.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: