rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hjfv

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soulglider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: hjfv Reply with quote

i'm down in sd. so, the only way i can get a copy of the deep is to drive up, have someone mail me a copy or see it online. as i thought tho, other than nels, i didnt get much here. surprising, inthat with all the stomach boarders here, i couldnt get much in the way of design ideas. this here is waaaaay outside the box. might work and might not. i know about the proneman 8'8. i've talked to him. i've talked to PG as well. those boards were made for something else. not what i'm thinking. i make my own alaia's. alaia's not what i'm looking for. thanks again for the input, but i'm gunna go deeper.
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a job for Roy Stewart.
Soulglider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: xbf Reply with quote

hahahahahahaha! he is a job! Wink
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always like pondering the options, which is a healthy thing to do when you hang arounnd long enough. For the most part I can't deal with the point surf I "grew up on"...or I should say can't handle the volume of people. Because of all the time I sent on what we would now call "empty" point breaks, I never developed a serious appreciation for beach breaks - they're just two different worlds, especially given the types and quality of most of them in my area. And about 12-15 years of primarily prone surfing to get another 12-15 years of lower crowds has both adversley affected my standup "popup" and, the past year and a half, developed some arthritis in some toes...making the stronger swim fins literally painful.

I love standup surfing, but when around the pack the whole Jesus mentality - "I stand on a board so that means I walk on water"- ugh. I love it, but I won't hang around until the love goes the other way.

We have to keep poking around the alternatives, keep finding the joy.
This is an interesting project. I'd love to see where it leads.
Nels
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you guys talking about Wegener's Tuna boards? Sort of like a kook box with EPS foam inside. Going finless would allow you to ride in shallow.

http://www.vimeo.com/4284833

As far as out of the box goes....maybe use windsurfer foot straps for handholds. Foot wells to stick the front of your foot into. Retractable fins you control with your feet. Tiki hood ornament.
puurri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Grumpy wrote:
Sounds like a job for Roy Stewart.

and here I must admit to TTP out of him. My usual response relates to commercial cargo vessels and lack of navigation lights/ compliance with ColRegs.
Soulglider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: sd Reply with quote

nels. i have to admit, arthritis, multiple knee surgeries, shoulder bursitis and a fairly new found love for the view from the the stomach has taken me away from 45 years of kneeboarding. just as in 1969 or 70 riding a 7-10 "shortboard" became a lame waste of time after seeing greenough in a movie and some local dwids in aptos getting barreled at random. i love the view from down here and my paipo/bellyboards have always been a running after the lines i was able to create on a kneeboard. not being satisfied with just down the line speed and not desirious of doing tricks, my boards are designed to keep me close to the curl, as we used to say. this project is one that might not come to fruition because of the stress put on my lower back, when paddling a board with volume. my 5'8 is 2.25 thick and puts a fair amount of stress down there. the deck of this longer board will have to be shaped in such a way that my chest will be higher than my lower back when lying prone and paddling, helping to remove said stress. the shaper i use for 90% of my boards is a local kid here in sd, Jeff Mccallum. hees not afraid to tackle new things and is excellent at plucking ideas outa my head and translating them into concrete. the other guys i have used with as much success is BJ at Fineline and Klaus Jones, up your way in oxnard/vetura. this project is gunna take awhile as we "work" things out but, what a fun journey this paipo thing has been...
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Were you guys talking about Wegener's Tuna boards?

I wasn't, hadn't even seen that until you posted here. While interesting for many reasons (including the ah Noosa scenery I take it)...that's about as far away from anything remotely interesting to me that I can think of.

I was talking about the Seaglass thing...check the first vid down

http://tomwegenersurfboards.com/seaglass-project/

Quote:
my paipo/bellyboards have always been a running after the lines i was able to create on a kneeboard. not being satisfied with just down the line speed and not desirious of doing tricks, my boards are designed to keep me close to the curl

The baggage I carry doesn't seem to let me enjoy spinning around in circles...in that vid Wegener spoke of "2 dimensional surfing" and frankly I;'m more interested in 4 or 5 dimensions...

I've seen photos and the odd board from Mccallum at Icons of Surf or their website...I check both infrequently...but he certainly seems wired in to our general wavelength.

Don't know if you poked around this gizmo yet...
http://paddleair.com/

Nels
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it the Seaglass boards are just foam/fiberglass Tuna shape.
from article you linked
Quote:
There may be some confusion because I used to call the boards Tunas but the name for the GSI foam boards has evolved to Seaglass boards.
Maybe some more refined bottom contours than on original Tuna but basically same design
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the Paddle Air vests. It didn't work for me but I know there are guys who get real help from them.
You can give it a try if you haven't already.....
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As I understand it the Seaglass boards are just foam/fiberglass Tuna shape

Now that you mention it...when I was watching the vidclip Poobah had up there I think my mind glazed over, but I do remember...well...it all kind of looks alike to me. I probably just fixated on the pretty color of the Seaglass... Wink

Quote:
I have one of the Paddle Air vests. It didn't work for me but I know there are guys who get real help from them.

I was originally looking for something that I though attached to the deck, but the Paddleair is what I finally found...perhaps I was just hallucinating about some wedge thing that went on the deck. I'm thinking some thick, shaped ethafoam creation to accomplish what's needed for back relief might be a way to go. Maybe even an entire custom foam "topdeck" to be attached? Not sure if that addresses the actual surfing design functionality of a prone longboard but might get the project rolling while the summer is still here.

Nels
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: