rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fin experimentation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halcyon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Doc,

Consider retrofitting a future center box or a small Bahne box into your twin fin. If there's enough thickness go with the Bahne box cause you can move the fin around in it. You can create some very interesting performance variations this way and make that twin fin into a carving genius.

I have made cutaway singles for modern performance shortboards with great success. Check in with me anytime and I share some templates with you.

A solid balsa board is a great idea. Have you checked out the hollow board site? It's awsome. Paul Jensen makes museum pieces and rides 'em.

Mahalo, Rich

"Custom Finmaker"
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: fins Reply with quote

A center fin box on a fish board? How about a glassed on low profile fin close to the crotch? Like maybe a 2" high wakeboard fin.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: fins Reply with quote

Poobah wrote:
A center fin box on a fish board? How about a glassed on low profile fin close to the crotch? Like maybe a 2" high wakeboard fin.

I am guessing that Halycon is suggesting replacing glassed on fins with removable for the fish?

Speaking of removables... Halycon, do you make fins for the small Fins Unlimited box?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Halcyon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey rodNDtube,

Some boards turn on with a small central stabilizer fin some is just gets in the way but you neve know 'till you have the option. A small bahne or fin unlimited center box is a better option than a Future box IMHO cause you can move the fin around in it. The future is much shallower though so it'lll fit into a thinned out tail.
Fin unlimited boxes are pretty easy to buil fins for. Boxes vary from box to board a few milimeters. Having a tab size and depth is always good to have for a reference but I'm sure I can get pretty close if I have some measurements to work to. As far as templates go I have my favorites but the sky is the limit. I'm making a small Bahne center this week for a buddy. The board's from back in the 80's.
email me if you want to look at my work and talk about some options.

windwateronstone@hotmail.com

Off to the fin shop, Rich
RoyStewart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: tunnel fin Reply with quote

I have started my new Paipo after many delays. It is a hollow Redwood/Pine/Pacific Red Cedar Spoon. Measurements are 6' x 27" . The board will have a ten inch wide five inch deep tunnel fin. The same tunnel on my 9'6" allows controlled sideslip which is fun but a bit tricky standing up so hopefully a Paipo will be the answer.
baidarka
Matt Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, Roy. I hope that your belly board is as much of an eye opener as my first plywood craft was. At that size, you should not have any problems catching waves.

My Orbulator(s) is all glued up. It is ten inches in diameter and ten inches wide. I am planning on cutting out two 3 inch and one 4 inch tunnel. Would it be worthwhile to make one even wider?

First applications will be on a paipo and a kneeboard. Time permitting, I will place one on an old longboard as well.

-Seamus
RoyStewart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Seamus,
It's nice to hear from you. The widest orbulator I have tried is four inches. Is there a strict difference between a Paipo and a kneeboard? I have been using both terms for my new craft. I am probably going to auction the the machine on e bay so that I can afford to keep building. I don't even have a set of swim fins yet. The last fins I bought were thick, short, and heavy. I didn't like them very much as I was more used to soft flexible dive fins. Right now we have rain, rain, and more rain followed by frost and then more rain.
The owner of this place insists on having early lambs so we are looking after a few sorry little cases, and I have the whole flock of thirty all crowding in under my bus awning at night. On top of that we have about ten cats, three dogs, and several birds including a Hawk with a broken wing.
Surf is flat so I am into the board building.

Roy
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: tunnel fin Reply with quote

RoyStewart wrote:
I have started my new Paipo after many delays. It is a hollow Redwood/Pine/Pacific Red Cedar Spoon. Measurements are 6' x 27" ...

What sort of tail shape? Pintail or something more like these six footers:

http://www.bornagainboards.com/ala.htm
RoyStewart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Poohbah, the tail is a square, similar to the ones on 'Born Again'
The attached link shows a couple of planshapes. The one I am building is like the 5'4" on the left, only the transom is convex intead of concave. I did one like this which is now trapped in a museum. The new one is a bigger version

http://www.woodensurfboardbuilder.com/Paipo_page.html
baidarka
Matt Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Roy,

Thanks for the input on tunnel width. I'll stick to my 3", 3" and 4" plan and see how it goes. Hopefully I will find the time to cut, foil and mount at least one of them in the next couple of weeks.

As for the kneeboard/paipo contrast...for me it is thickness. Being frugal, my belly boards are all scrap plywood at 3/8" to 5/8" thickness. I just cannot pull myself up on them. My kneeboards are of similar planshapes, but have more traditional, stand-up-esque thicknesses. I have had many enjoyable prone rides on these boards as well. Only the knee dents give away their original intent.

Sounds cozy with all of the rain, lambs and other beings present. Perfect for tea and woodworking.

-Seamus
RoyStewart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be rather quiet around here so I have posted a couple of pictures of the lower deck of the 'Acid Drop' under construction. (Being a spoon it has an upper and a lower deck) The latticed section will be under the upper deck.

http://www.woodensurfboardbuilder.com/Paipo_page.html

Roy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: