rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A very large, very old piece of solid pine:

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brillynt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: A very large, very old piece of solid pine: Reply with quote

This is my first paipo. My dad had this and a few other ancient pieces of pine that had been left in the basement of my sister's old house. I don't know exactly how old it is, but there were square nails in some of it. I believe this used to be an old ironing board. I decided to give it a new life!

The board is intended for the more gnarly days on Lake Michigan's sandbars, when it's too choppy to bother stand-up surfing on my longboard. It's kinda heavy (haven't got an exact weight yet) so I'm not expecting it to do much on smaller waves.

It's 52" long, 18" wide and about 1" thick. Using a disc grinder, I carved a double hull out of the bottom, and spooned out the deck some. I'm hoping this will make it a bit more lively in the water. Planning to start varnishing it this afternoon.

Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how much the ironing board looks like...one of the most collectable early surfboards. Tom Blake hollow board.

The paipo looks great, by the way.

RNT808

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just imagine that paipo waiting all those years, hidden away and forgotten, until the day it is finally set free to realize it’s true destiny.

Great job!
Brillynt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels wrote:
Funny how much the ironing board looks like...one of the most collectable early surfboards. Tom Blake hollow board.

Heh, I did notice a similarity in the original shape with that style of board, but in this case I decided that I had no use for that much nose on it.

Speaking hollow boards of I'm also working on a larger board with a hollow construction similar to what they are doing over at Grainsurf. http://www.grainsurf.com/forum/
And I have plans for a smaller even more simplified version for a backpacking/beach camping trip later this summer. Anyone find it worthwhile to do this sort of thing? I'm more interested in it as a way to get extra bouyancy to make up for the lower density fresh water that I surf in. I'll be posting more as they progress.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: