rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10' paipo/bellyboard

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soulglider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: 10' paipo/bellyboard Reply with quote

its probably true that no one here can help but, i will ask anyway.

i am currently starting the dream of having a 10' paipo (foam and glass) shaped. my current boards are all hulls and range from 3'10 to 5'8. the 5'8 is the latest. its a hull in the nose, to a flat spot in the mid and outback a deep vee, with a Frye single fin. it rides beautiful. super fast, high riding, nice long drawn out turns and a real barrel hunter.

the 10' is for 6"-2' summer slop. those days that might be passed up. those days when you just wanna trunk it without the hassle of fins. two strokes and you're gone, sort of surfing.

any ideas on bottom shapes? fin placement? rocker? rails?
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger has the El Paipo Grande, shaped by Paul Gross. 8'8" if memory serves. Lots of info on Swaylock's. Given their interests it probably has a hull shape or influence, but I don't recall for sure. I'd certainly check into that board though.

10' is freaking huge. I'm playing with a 5'10" kneeboard as paipo, and that's awkward enough for me. The longer length you are talking about will comfortably get rid of swimfins, and that's a plus, but it sounds like a bear to get around. Not to mention turn...

Rob DiStephano once wrote me that you can (knee)ride anything...honestly I would think a "general" longboard design might work. Nothing dragging except the fin...concepts might be similar...biggest difference would be the much lower or maybe more dispersed center of gravity.

Last thought is whoever does the boards for Jesse Billbauer (sp?)...
they might be ahead in research in that department.

Nels
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to surf at Bolinas, CA (shhhhhh!!!) and there was a guy there knee rode an old tanker long board (can't remember what kind, shaper, etc) No reason you couldn't prone same. Worked pretty well for him.
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soulglider,

Why not a mini-simmoms? I was speaking with a longboard shaper yesterday and he'd made a simmons and swore by it. His board was about 8' Richard Safady & Robert Moynier who we have done interviews with, also ride long boards prone.

Bob
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure everything has to be a lot different from a regular stand up long board design to work prone. My experiences prone riding my 9' range long boards (going to shore in the mush, pulling into micro barrels from standing or kneeling position, accident/kooking it ) have been pearling & not being able to effectively control/turn the board. Even going in on the smallest mush, I usually stand up all the way in to avoid eating it prone. Seeing the old movies of Greg Noll & others successfully proning out of big North Shore closeouts always amazes me.
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Candy Calhoun belly board posted elsewhere here and also here http://thecentralshaft.blogspot.com/2008/05/craft.html is basically a mini Simmons around 4 ft long (and she preferred 4''6"). Twin keels near tail in "stand-up" position. Maybe the handle can shift body dynamics to make up for difference in body position? Says it write up she rode it hanging off back, semi straight armed I would guess
Quote:
I have never seen anyone go so damn fast, ride deeper, or throw the most ridiculous, surreal, roundhouse cutbacks...board in front, body following and holding on only to the redwood handle.
Not so sure how that would work on a much longer board but then it wouldn't really be a mini...
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a lot of bellyboard for little waves and I'm not sure how a 10' stick is less hassle then a pair of fins but hey, to each his own...

If you are really serious, then you should for sure get in touch with Paul Gross and perhaps Richard Safady.

Most places, when the surf is that small, the waves are breaking fairly close to shore. Could you push off the bottom?

My choice for tiny gutless surf is my skinny paulownia alaia.

Look forward to see what you come up with.
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Uncle G about an alaia for gliding across small stuff. Seeing as you asked about fibreglass boards have you see Tom Wegener's seaglass boards. His interview features a photo. I've seen a couple in shops. His theory was that it was a modern version of an alaia but more bouyant.
Soulglider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: f Reply with quote

thanks for all the input.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a great photo sequence of the Seaglass board in action in the current Deep magazine, available free on the central coast of California...sadly not on their website. Michael kew I think did the photos. I don't hve photo posting capability these days, otherwise I'd share...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: