rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Member .. PhillyPaipo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhillyPaipo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: New Member .. PhillyPaipo Reply with quote

Hello,

First, I would like to thank everyone that has contributed .. I have consumed every word on mypaipoboards.org/ site and this forum. I found it so useful and inspiring .. THANKS!

I live in Philadelphia .. I mostly ride Montauk to Hatteras with longer trips whenever I can. My most common spots are day trips to NJ and week long stays on Assateaque Island and Buxton NC. Expect to get back to DE for a weekend soon. Just got back from Rincon PR. Love it all.

I started riding long boards at the Inlet in Delaware in 1965. I practically lived at the Inlet camp ground for the summer in the good old days when surfers, fisherman, bikers and squatters could pretty much do as they pleased. I cruised to OC MD, Assateaque (by paddling across the OC inlet) etc with my surf buddy who had a 48 De Sota - the perfect surfer transport. I also took family trips to Florida and NC in those days. Life was good.

Life distracted me for some of the time since then but I rode the same Boggie Board from 1983 until I got a new long board 2 years ago .. Just in time for some physical issues to keep from standing up. However, I found that I could still kick with my swim fins so I went in search of new vehicles to ride prone.

I got a beautiful Austin Paipo last fall and very recently a 4GF surfmat .. I enjoy them both .. the Austin for its easy control and the surfmat for its glide. Given that I am out of control, I am thinking I need a 6' Xylem Alaia to be ride prone but am holding off until the fall.

Incidentally, I use ForceFin Pro swim fins - I find them to be comfortable and have more thrust than my old Churchills. I never used anything else so can not compare them to Void UDTs etc. I can say that I use them in the pool to swim 1 mile 3/wk without cramping. Check out their site for Navy studies that touch upon the perception of thrust vs actual thrust. I got mine used on ebay - retail is outrageous.

I expect to ride more and more in the coming years .. Hope to meet you in the surf and become an active member on this site. Let me know if there are any opportunities to meet up with others in the mid Atlantic area or OBX in August.

thanks again!
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome onboard Cool
SJB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a relatively new Member to the Board myself I will second your accolades for this forum. Thanks Rod et al.
I received my new Austin a few months back and I am enjoying it very much. We have had some decent swell this year so far here in Central Coast CAL. Not too small.....not too big.....head high give or take......just right for an old guy.
I'm still using Churchills.....wil have to give your recommendation a try.....if the Churchills wear out before I do. Very Happy
PhillyPaipo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: forcefins Reply with quote

looks like mrmikes was using forcefins in a Monday, November 29, 2010 shot in his blog. He might be able to contrast them with other fins.
mrmike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of force fins they are not worth what they cost new about $200 I got mine at a yard sale for $5 then cut the tips off they are ok but I like my dafins best you have to ware booties with force fins or they will eat your feet up. the great fin problem is not every foot is the same. try them on and see if the store will let you take them for a test drive most surf shop will Cool
PhillyPaipo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do use the optional comfort insert so do not need to use socks.. can't imagine using them without insert, socks or boots. I like that I can use the insert when its warm and then remove it and use boots whens its cold. Want to try DaFins sometime.
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from looking awesome while walking around the house, why would I want to wear these?
Very Happy
No really, I have missed these fins completely, don't know anything about them. They seem super expensive. What is the scoop? What are the cute toenails for? Are these the ones you guys are talking about?
PhillyPaipo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am talking about the Pro model with optional comfort insert.
http://www.forcefin.com/product/53/FFPRO53.html Its primarily designed for divers (they hold some distance records etc) but I like them. I gave weight to comfort and wanted a little extra help getting out when its nasty. I had some reservations about their qualities to steer once moving but that seems just fine - at least at my skill level otherwise.

I have never tried the ForceFin Rip Force Model but would not expect it to have as much trust as the Pro and i do not feel any constraint in maneuvering with the Pro model. A local dive shop let me try the Pro model. With his blessing I got a deal on used ones on Ebay (they never wear out except maybe the straps).

Like I said I have never used anything other than these and my Churchills so can not say they are better or worse than anything else. I am curious about Da Fins in particular since It seems many who have tried many fins like them.
ted

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philly,

I recently started wearing Da Fins in addition to my faithful Churchills. Da Fins are slightly harder to kick with and provide a tiny bit more thrust than the Churchills. Both are comfortable for me (unlike Vipers).

The main appeal of Da Fin is the symmetrical design that would allow fin swappage when traveling light.
Spudnut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both DaFins & UDT's. I find that the UDT's are far more comfortable for me. I think that is because I have wide feet. Finding the right fin seems a lot more difficult than finding the right board!
PhillyPaipo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. lots of very individual variables.. I have heard others say the UDTs are the best for thrust but usually with complaints of discomfort. So ... everyone IS different.

At one point I did not think I was going to able to use my legs at all and considered a 5' 5" kenuhawaii foam board without ANY swim fins.
http://www.kenuhawaii.com/customs.htm. Ken says he hates fins and rides the longer boards prone himself without swim fins.

I am thinking I would like to try a 6' wood Alaia with or without any swim fins and ride prone. I initially thought that was too long for prone riding but am starting to get it. I have seen references to that approach on MyPaipoBoards that make sense albeit seemingly at the expense of optimal turning control (result of length / prone). I like the notion of (Alaia) flex and speed especially in slower waves and the ability to more easily duck dive a buoyancy neutral board. Anyway, might be cool to not use any swim fins at all.
Spudnut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a doubt what seems to work for one is totally different for the next. I heard a lot of horror stories about UDT's. I am 50 years old and weigh 150lbs. I have not had to trim my UDT's at all. They are the blue marbled variety and perfect right out of the box for me. The HPD paipo is not a favorite of a lot of people, but I am having a blast in the waves that I ride in the Ventura area of California. We have some awesome beachbreaks around here. Keep an open mind and try everything you can.
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides feet size/shape I think another issue is the type of wave & conditions you surf in. I have a pair of UDTs I wore once. I had cramps for weeks. More to the point, I think they would be great in a point wave or offshore reef where you can get a real steady kick beat and not have to do sudden turns to position and a quick kick off. I like the blue and yellow churchills. I have a pair of Vipers that I seldom wear and sold my tech-2s. I have a pair of pods I now just use at the pool,

Another variable is how much leg strength and fitness you have.

Regarding the 6' alaia - depends what sort of waves you want to surf. A long lined point would be ok for the 6'er. If it is peaky beachbreaks I'd go shorter. 6' MIGHT allow you to arm paddle ok, might not. Without fins and kicking forget it unless you are superman. There is a thread on surfing swim-finless. Not many can do it on wood boards - certainly not easily if a long paddle is involved.

Bob
PhillyPaipo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob,

I am definitely not superman .. I am 57 but do swim laps to stay in shape. I am looking to make things easier not harder.

Wish local spots were nice point breaks with long tubes and an easy channel to get out. But not.

I was thinking E-coast beach break, barrels in particular .. not much distance to paddle but sometimes real nasty. I am thinking of a day last fall when one of the hurricanes was going by NJ .. close out 8' barrels one right after another and no way around. The kind that just suck you back and slap you down. Stopped all but the heartiest.

So my notion of a 5-6' alaia is that it would duck dive real well .. I have seen mind blowing videos of swimming them great distances underwater. Then it would allow a quick take off and get across the barrel and then a cut back through the face just in time. Nice image. Film at 11 but it seems like the alaia should do well with this scenario? (neutral buoyancy and knife edges)

My initial intuition was to think in the 4' 1/2 to 5' 1/2 length but have been thinking about the idea that some extra length, i.e 6', would give more surface for planning without becoming too much. Seems natural to use swim fins with the shorter ones but I am having a hard time imagining using swim fins with the longer ones.

So am I on the right track or should I just work out more and improve my duck diving skills? Or go down the beach and get away from the death barrels and find a more friendly old-head break.
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PP,

I'd go a bit shorter but stick with the death beachies. The longer board will give you more glide when riding but I'd be wanting to get in as early as I could and I think the swim fins would help here. Alaia are not super paddlers. In Tom Wegener's interview he describes this as one of his motivations for the foam/fibreglass boards he is working on.

A smaller, narrower board is what I'd go with. I personally don't like the 3' boards. 4'6 - 5' I'd say. Other may differ. Look at Trevor Yamamoto's interview - decent sized waves on a piece of ply. See Kit Carson's story - these guys were riding cyclone sized Kirra - but he was also superfit.

Also, there can be a fair learning curve on these. Try some other waves first before the death beachies. For many, the alaia is a fun board to ride in minimal conditions.

Bob
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: