rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting started. Help shaping first paipo?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frohbego

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Getting started. Help shaping first paipo? Reply with quote

Hey everyone just joined the forum. I'm from New Jersey and i just came across this video on korduroy.tv which inspired me to try making a paipo myself.
http://www.korduroy.tv/2011/christine-brailsford–all-yew

I need some advise of what tools. I think my dad or grandfather may have some of these.

- Can anyone recommend a good electric planner.
- Should i get a belt sander or orbital sander
- Template. Where can i find them?
- Types of wood to buy and where to buy them
- What to use to seal or oil to treat the wood.

Anything else that might help to get started would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
- Jon
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Frohbego,

Search through the archives for the posts below & more. Also Bud Scelsa & Rick Boufford have build info and there are lots of shapes by Larry Goddard here http://mypaipoboards.org/interviews/Paipo_Interviews.shtml. Swaylocks is a source of tool info as well :

Bob

small fish for bob

woodworkers - what tools do you use

New to paipos - have questions

Planing tricky knots in wood?

rail shape

All you need to know about glues for wood in a marine enviro

I got wood.........

Bellyboard build!

More Ply Bellyboards!

Hackin' at lumps of ply, advise before I waste resources!

shaping

Oiled Paipos
mrmike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start simple use some birch ply or some marine ply 1/2" thick will do fine. I get birch from the home depot you can get marine ply from a good lumber yard or a boat biulders yard cost about $15. I would start it 40" long and about 20 to 22" wide. shape the rail rounded down with hand plane or belt sander be careful with the belt sander you can take too much off real fast finish the rails with orbital sander. as for shape use one that you like (K.I.S) keep it simple useing a jig saw. I coat my boards with oil (tang) I also use spar varnish. with oil you have to reapply from time to time with varnish I use about 6 coats and sand with 400 paper after each coat. simple tools you should have them on hand. hope I have helped Cool

OG-AZN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second what Mr. Mike said about 1/2" plywood. I found that thickness gives the right amount of flex for most conditions. The boards in the video look like 3/4" ply or thicker. Also can't argue with keeping it simple. I make all my paipos with just an electric jigsaw, a file/rasp combo for the rail shaping, and sandpaper around a block of wood to finish. Unless you intend to put a concave or convex in the board, you might not need a power planer if you use good quality plywood. The quality birch & marine plywoods are usually pretty smooth from the start and free of big knots. Generic /found/recycled plywood works fine too (what I usually use) but there will be more surface finishing work involved. I don't know of any ready made templates for paipos, but there are some for alaias online. The tradition was just to make your own for paipos. The quick & dirty was folded newspaper or heavy cardboard. In addition to varnish, a coat of marine epoxy also protects well and is easier to apply & long lasting.

What part of Jersey are you from? I lived / surfed in the S. Jersey area for a few years in the 90's. Good times.
Soulglider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: skjv Reply with quote

you can go as simple as a rectangle or a slight trapizoid with rounded corners. keep the rails square and just round the edges off so you dont get splinters. 1/2" ply IS the way to go and just about any outline works. i've tried all kinds of rails but the square seems to be best for "bite," i've learned from the alaia guys. oil is real easy but, like MM says you must reapply now and again. i use teak oil and apply 3-4 coats before using. it hardens from the inside of the wood out. i have a bunch of examples on my sight, check it out. have fun!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: