rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Even more paipo footage
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Even more paipo footage Reply with quote

Here are a a number of links to paipo footage

The first 4 are from a recent surf trip - footage is by John Kovar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQaAPe5R9os
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbikeQ6qNl4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbcseXmkYkA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTSsxx0CU6g

The last video (below) is a re-edited version of 1964 footage by Barry McGuigan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBmAqQ_64u0

Bob
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like pretty fun day in the water but a bit nasty to be hanging on the beach behind a camera!
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a beautiful spot in that trip footage. I bet it really goes off w/ offshores & the right tide. I love seeing what other people are doing w/ paipos around the world. The '64 film seems to confirm (around 1:54) that the origin of the drop knee bodyboard / Jack (Lindholm) stance was in paipo riding.
global ernie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: bobs south coast surf trip Reply with quote

heres some pics of where bob was surfing and the spot about 200 yds inside of that point

note the angle of the whitewater draining of the rockshelf on the big wave pic(2nd pic down)its the same place in pic no3. top and bottom pics are the point break inside
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a really beautiful wave in what appears to be a lovely bucolic location.
Looks like you might want a leash tho'.....
global ernie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: close to the rocks Reply with quote

the inside point breaks so close to the rocks that you could nearly have a conversation with the guy in the baz. the photos dont really give a good impression of how close you are to the shelf. when this place gets 8' ish some pro goofy's have had trouble getting into it! the local boogers love it in fact this part of southern nsw is a potential paipo paradise, shame it gets so cold (from a sub trop surfers perspective)
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a grand spot for finless paipos and Gath helmets!
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to take my finned board out at this spot. One thing I noticed in some of the videos was the difficulty of the finless boards to track and project on a wave. The best tracking and projecting seemed to be in the 4th video on the Galera board.

Quite a nice looking wave.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, I was just thinking finless due to proximity of very shallow rocks
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod,

It was fun. Less fun, I don't think I mentioned that I broke off two of John's fins and bent the other when I went out on the last day. Keep me away from finned paipo.

Both of the finless boards need a bit of power and when it came to the fuller end section, the boards lose some control, but the wave was effectively over when this section was reached. At 1.17 on the Goddard clip for day 3, with a longer walled wave you see no problem with projection.

The wave had a few idiosyncrasies due to backwash off the rocks and proximity to the rocks. At times the first section had to be struggled through due to water churning/backwash. Day 3 with the NOfin board had the cleanest surface conditions. Less water enabled better clearance from the inside rocks.

Bob
puurri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guillotines?
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puurri,

Global Ernie's top and bottom photos are the G. It wasn't big enough really to get it going. As GE says - think 200yards south.

Bob
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoffreylevens wrote:

My two sidebites are very small, about 2", and my center fin usually ranges from 4" to 4.5". Not huge, but they get rather chewed up in Costa Rica and Puerto Rico. Still love my fins!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
puurri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2x 4- 5 inch fins are the best otherwise drag bites into the speed potential of the hull. jest sayin'
rickm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodndtube wrote:
geoffreylevens wrote:

My two sidebites are very small, about 2", and my center fin usually ranges from 4" to 4.5". Not huge, but they get rather chewed up in Costa Rica and Puerto Rico. Still love my fins!

I have a fin in my trunk that would turn that board into something memorable!

Speaking off, look over on the left. Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: