rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sealing wood under epoxy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure not used as a sealer on EPS (paint), mostly applied over spackle, or microballons in resin, or something like that. But I was wondering if it would work since resin does seem to bind to it.
global ernie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoke to my mate, if you want a good bond between any timber and epoxy he recommends you apply a “pisscoat” of thinned epoxy. The purpose is to get some penetration into the timber, to “plasticise” the wood. If appearance is not an issue then cross hatching at 45 deg to the grain with 60 grit sand paper will enhance the bond.
he did not think that other forms of sealing the timber were satisfactory methods for a true bond. also need to correct myself, “starring” is when tiny air bubbles form in the laminate due to some form of chemical reaction occurring between the catalyst and the paint, worse on coloured spray where there is a higher build of paint but still occurs on white boards, just a lot harder to see. “micro cracking” is the term for that decomposition of the resin matrix. West system epoxy web site should have good technical info regarding bonding/thinning etc.
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I used 2 coats of West System epoxy on the ply paipo I ride most using an application procedure similar to what Global Ernie describes above. Just the 2 epoxy coats, no glass. The board in question has held up for nearly 2 seasons of fairly hard use.
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite encouraging. I am glassing because this one has the glue held rocker and concaves warped in so under constant internal stress. I am afraid any even micro injury will cause rapid delammination SPROOOOING!!!! I think I will gamble on the piss coat and pray I have enough resin left to finish the job. That is the big issue as i don't want to chip out $30-40 for another batch and once started ya kind of gotta finish. I have read the epoxy goes pretty well on top of poly resin but not the other way around. So starting w/ epoxy pretty much means finishing with it.
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a cheater coat w/ epoxy on first side. Mixed a mini batch (total mixture 2 oz) and figured I would whip up more if needed. Spread it thin w/ squeegee, not even pre-warmed, and had some left over! Hit it w/ heat gun for a very brief time to make it kick quicker as it was done in a coldish room. I Second side made a 1 1/2 ounce batch and got full coverage with about 1/4 tsp left over.

Moved and did the second side in our "guest room" where it is nice and warm. Wife did sniff test (she is a cross between a blood hound and a canary as far as nose work goes) and zero issues. All hail epoxy.
Soulglider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: csa Reply with quote

ooooooo, a good woman with a good sniffer! Wink
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: csa Reply with quote

Soulglider wrote:
ooooooo, a good woman with a good sniffer! Wink
Uh-huh, uh-huh. Has its up side and its down side. No getting away w/ funky hygiene and that's a fact! Laughing
Soulglider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Wanna trade? Wink
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soulglider wrote:
Wow! Wanna trade? Wink
Nup. She's a keeper for sure!!! Together 22 years, actually street legal married for 20.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: