rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to paipos - have questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrmike

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what I ment was a small hand block plane for the rails cost about $20 at the home depot well worth the money and you have the tool for life Cool
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, those are excellent but I have not been able to figure out how to make mine work without suddenly biting and ripping layers out of the work, esp w/ plywood. Also, pretty tough going across end grain, at least for me!
mrmike

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one word sharp. I use one my grand dad had it is over 100 years old the blade is very very sharp. take real thin cuts and don't go stright go at an angel. new planes are not sharp you need to hone the blade on a wet stone before you start Cool
Spudnut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to surfing a wave my son & I have different styles. He normally rides a bodyboard and wants to be able to do tricks on it like a bodyboard. I love getting as deep in the pocket as I can and then turn on the afterburners hauling a.. The more speed to me the more fun. What designs would you recommend for each of us to make? Also, should we use regular plywood or go marine grade? What sealant as well?
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mike. Silly me, just assumed (ass-u-me) that out of the box was sharp! Duh!!!
mrmike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most people think if it is new it is good to go. you would think. but coming from 4 generation of wood worker I got an up on things. and the tools they make nowadays (china) aren't as good as tools made 20 to 40 years ago. I always look for old hand tool at yard sales and swapmeets just clean them up and sharpen it up and you got a real good tool for a cheep price Cool
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Solomonson told me once that he does the same with power tools as well. Often something being sold for $1 just needs new brushes and a bit of a rub down to remove dirt and you have a great "whatever".
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spudnut wrote:
When it comes to surfing a wave my son & I have different styles. He normally rides a bodyboard and wants to be able to do tricks on it like a bodyboard. I love getting as deep in the pocket as I can and then turn on the afterburners hauling a.. The more speed to me the more fun. What designs would you recommend for each of us to make? Also, should we use regular plywood or go marine grade? What sealant as well?

Aloha & good to see more people carrying on the tradition of homemade paipos. You don't necessarily need different shapes to ride in different ways on a paipo. Like a bodyboard, the ply paipo is pretty adaptable to various riding styles. I ride my favorite paipo both "bodyboard" style & old skool speed run/cruising style. I suggest going with a narrower version of the HPD type bell/delta shape and use the same length and wide point dimensions of your bodyboard, with the wide point being shifted from the nose area to the the tail area on the paipo, as a starting point. My favorite paipos are appx 41.5-42" length" x 21-22" tail x 16.5 -17.5" nose. These boards work well for prone ridng fast hollow beach break. I don't do a lot of knee /drop knee ridng on a paipo, but I've found that a shape with the wide point in the nose,and with more overall length & width than my bodyboard works better. For bodyboard type tricks, try to keep the board as flexible as you can get away with for your size & the wave conditions you ride. For me, 1/2" ply is as thin as a I can go in terms of durability and stability on an unglassed board. I've used varnish and/or paint to finish as well as epoxy with no glass. You get a lot of durability with the epoxy, but you lose some of the flex in the wood. Varnish/paint maintains the flex but isn't as durable. Most of my boards have been made of generic or recycled plywood on hand, but I've found the higher quality plywoods a lot easier to work with.
Soulglider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: vkjh Reply with quote

listen to the -azn. 19-21" wide x 40-48 with flex is dee best! 1/2" works for me too and i'm way bigger than him. good luck and try everything you can think of and before you know it, you'll be the authority. i like square rails now, not as pretty fo' sho' but very sticky and super duper fast! i add kick in the nose using a planer but, i dont know if you need that, the -azn doesn't use it, i think, and hees one rippa bruddah! Wink
mrmike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a new board in the works now, at mrmikes skunkworks I call it my E.S.P (experimental surfing paipo ) it is made of 1/4" ply with 1/4" X 1" slats on the bottom and a 1/2" thick collar on the nose like a 1/2 of a spoon. hopely the slats on the bottom will keep it from breaking the slats have one square edge and one rounded edge the rounded edge edge to the outside with two coats of black laquer and two coats of clear. it is 40" long and 20" wide I am keeping it short so with 1/4" ply it won't flex so much it would break. I will send some pics when finished Cool
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spudnut wrote:
After lots of various discussions the decision made is that my son and I are each going to make a plywood paipo! Not only will we get to ride them together but we can build them them together too. Of course we will have more questions with regards to the design of them, should we ask here or start a new post in the design section?

A better question for the Paipo Board Design & Building Forum
What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.

That helps people focus into a specific area of discussion!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the week-end I rode a fibreglass board and then my new unridden paulownia board. There is something nice about riding a board you make yourself and they slice so cleanly through the water. I like glass boards as well.

The amount of flex is a personal question. a number of the older guys used a coat of resin to give the boards some stiffness, Jamie Farfor glassed his premium boards with Hawaiian print cloth for this same purpose. Bigger waves can produce too much flex.

Hard rails are the go, for me, rounded just near the nose. Lift - most of mine are pretty flat. My new board is widest right at the tail, this might suit the young guy. If you are making two boards, slightly vary the design and you have a natural experiment and can see what differences some tweaking does.

Bob
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: vkjh Reply with quote

Soulglider wrote:
listen to the -azn. 19-21" wide x 40-48 with flex is dee best! 1/2" works for me too and i'm way bigger than him. good luck and try everything you can think of and before you know it, you'll be the authority. i like square rails now, not as pretty fo' sho' but very sticky and super duper fast! i add kick in the nose using a planer but, i dont know if you need that, the -azn doesn't use it, i think, and hees one rippa bruddah! Wink

Ha, thanks for the compliment Glider. I actually do put a little bit of lift/kick in the nose of my boards. Also, my paipos that have had a little bit of positive rocker seem to have an advantage in terms of bodyboard style riding, i.e. it seems easier to quickly set your angle towards the lip. Could just be that those boards were also just simply finished with varnish & more flexible than my epoxied boards.
Spudnut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son and I have finished making our paipos. On Sunday, we will get our first experience riding a paipo. We had a lot of fun making them even though we know nothing about woodwork.
Soulglider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: cs Reply with quote

great! i wanna check 'em out, give 'em a post.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: