rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TED and others
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SJB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: TED and others Reply with quote

Hey Ted.....really enjoyed your photo album.
Question.....I notice that on the Austin.....you wear some manner of head gear. What is it and does it serve any particular purpose?
Also a long sleeved rash guard.....or is it something more substantial?
Here in CAL I wear a wet suit which makes for a nice cushion.
I am off to Mexico and hope to be in the water mucho horas por mucho dias......a regular rash guard on a sponge is fine but I wonder if there is anything extra I should do to be sure I don't lose some skin/fun on hard surfaced Austin due to abrasions and such given more time in the water.
Thanks in advance for any further advice you can offer a tenderfoot.
ted

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJB,

I am a sissy (and now 49).

I've had my share of run-ins with rocks (Hawaii) and surfers (Orange County), so I wear a Gath sport hat. The yellow helmet is distinctive enough that I am known as "helmet dude" at some local breaks. Murrays.com, located in Northern California, has good prices on Gath gear.

I do wear a 2mm wetsuit shirt or springsuit for all paipo boarding. The springsuit provides some padding from board impact on big air drops. The paipo is much more solid than a sponge. I do recommend XM Clear Grip from SurfMore as a non-abrasive wax replacement for the Austin. You'll still need a touch of wax, but the Clear Grip makes a great heat-tolerant base. (The four piece set covers all the important parts of the Austin.)

I also put a funboard noseguard from surfco on the Austin. Surfco also makes fcs fins with urethane leading and trailing edges which seem to work fine as a twin setup.
SJB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted that is incredibly helpful. Don't talk to me about being a Sissy....I am 64. I look for every safety tip I can get....takes too darn long to heal. Thanks.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wear some kind of rash guard in warm waters to provide me plenty of SPF protection from the sun and to prevent rashes. There are times in larger waves with some cross chop that a 2mm would come in handy.

Also take two sets of elbow pads with me on trips when there might be 5 to 7 consecutive days or more of waveriding and start using them when the elbows start suffering from being on the hard surface and take a beating from just regular pressure on the board during paddleouts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SJB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info Rod.....and great Board. Thanks for your good efforts. I have been researching elbow pads and Mueller Sports medicine seems to have a decent neoprene version. Do you have a particular brand that you like? I like the pad alternative to 2mm shirt concept because I would think the 2mm would add insulation and who needs that in 80 degree water?
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJB wrote:
Good info Rod.....and great Board. Thanks for your good efforts. I have been researching elbow pads and Mueller Sports medicine seems to have a decent neoprene version. Do you have a particular brand that you like? I like the pad alternative to 2mm shirt concept because I would think the 2mm would add insulation and who needs that in 80 degree water?

Believe both pairs are relatively generic Vollyball elbow pads. The larger, bulkier pads look almost like football knee pads, are pre-bent for the elbow and about 6x4 inches - the padding is probably around 3/8" thick. No brand but here are some particulars: Kit#25-083, sku 26028472 (Large/black).

The lighter weight pair are made by Nike, wetsuit type material of maybe .5 to 1.5mm (thicker on the padding, light on the inside of the elbow), R/N 56323, CA#05553, FA0039 001.

I generally will use the light weight pair when the elbows start feeling any kind of dull pain. No trouble keeping them on with short sleeve or long sleeve rash guards on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SJB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TED......do you wrap the rails with the clear grip for better hand hold.....or do you just put it on the surface of the board?
Also on the nose guard.....is that just to protect the Board.....or does it also improve your hand grip on the board?
Thanks
ted

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clear grip stops at the edge of the color block. It provides grip without interfering with the rail.

The nose guard is mainly to protect body parts that get in the way of the board. I've never hit anything hard with the board, but I did ram the board hard with my helmet once after a really long hold-down when I was in a big hurry to surface for a breath.
mrmike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me a 5mm suit a sandy beach break and only a pack of SUPer to hit Laughing
SJB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted, Rod et al.......winter water temps here are in the 50s.....and I have found that webbed neoprene gloves give a bit of extra paddle power but more importantly help keep the hands warm. Gripping a sponge with these gloves is no problem.
Not so with the Austin.....gloves slip and slide on the hard rails.
1. Ted.....I got the Clear Grip.....do you see any problem with me putting it along the rail edge? Seems like it would help improve glove grip. I am assuming guys standing on their boards in neoprene booties find an improved grip with the Clear grip......why not for improved glove grip?
2. Rod....you are domiciled in cold water country. Do you wear any kind of hand gear? If yes.....any tips on what you do to keep a firm hand grip on that hard Austin rail when taking the drop?
Thanks all.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJB wrote:
Ted, Rod et al.......winter water temps here are in the 50s.....and I have found that webbed neoprene gloves give a bit of extra paddle power but more importantly help keep the hands warm. Gripping a sponge with these gloves is no problem.
Not so with the Austin.....gloves slip and slide on the hard rails.
1. Ted.....I got the Clear Grip.....do you see any problem with me putting it along the rail edge? Seems like it would help improve glove grip. I am assuming guys standing on their boards in neoprene booties find an improved grip with the Clear grip......why not for improved glove grip?
2. Rod....you are domiciled in cold water country. Do you wear any kind of hand gear? If yes.....any tips on what you do to keep a firm hand grip on that hard Austin rail when taking the drop?
Thanks all.

Cold water or hot, I would be lost without my paddling gloves. Wish the old Webs were still available -- much better than the comparable style of paddling gloves available these days (H2O). I use a couple of different types of paddling/wetsuit gloves, (1) H2O and (2) neoprene lobster claws. My H2O paddling gloves come in few styles with lycra style tops and grippy, textured neoprene bottoms -- open fingered for tropical waters and closed fingers for cool waters (for me to the low 60s) and a closed-finger ~1.5mm topside and same bottoms as the others -- these take me into the upper-50s to low-60s.

The lobster claws are 5 to 7 mm and are really intended for very cold waters. All of these gloves work fine for gripping the nose or side of the board. I don't normally wax within an inch or two of the rail but will rub some wax onto the gloves to make them grippier.

There are a few other brands of paddling gloves out there, some in 2 to 3mm, but they don't provide a very good fit and the bottom surface is rather slippery (almost a glossy finish) unlike the H2O and Webs.

Of course, I always use a leash!
SJB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rod...... ever tried these?

http://ijustsurf.com/reviews/review-darkfin-water-propulsion-gloves/

I have been used to gloves with open fingertips so any water that gets inside the gloves just washes through. Any frustration with water trapping in the gloves on closed finger models?

Yes I do sound like a micro managing overanalyzer.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJB wrote:

I have been used to gloves with open fingertips so any water that gets inside the gloves just washes through. Any frustration with water trapping in the gloves on closed finger models?

Yes I do sound like a micro managing overanalyzer.

The glossy hand bottoms that I had mentioned above are NRS gloves. The plus is they bridge the relatively uninsulated H2O and the Lobster Claws, but they are stiff and unnatural feeling and they tend to trap more water. Not so with other closed fingered gloves.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJB wrote:

These are intriguing. Not outrageously priced. I may have to order a pair and try them... certainly have for other items. Wonder what kind of insulating properties they have.
SJB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod and Ted.....

First outing with the Austin today.....3-5 foot reef break with so so close out shape. I was happy to find it had good flotation......I was happy to find it was very stable paddling and kicking at the same time......easy to get into the wave........and it was quick and I did not dissipate as much energy bouncing sideways toward shore as I do on

Ted......the Clear grip works great.

Rod.....I was experimenting with hand grip with my web Gloves dry. DUH. Wet they grip great.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I rode today with just the outer fins. Look forward to experimenting On some better waves with the center skeg.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: