rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another bummer for Doheny

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Another bummer for Doheny Reply with quote

For the third year in a row it received the Beach Bummer award:

http://www.healthebay.org/brc/annual/2004/execsumm.asp
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Another bummer for Doheny Reply with quote

Poobah wrote:
For the third year in a row it received the Beach Bummer award:

http://www.healthebay.org/brc/annual/2004/execsumm.asp

"Orange County beaches had a significant reduction in the number of sewage spills this year compared to previous years. However, there was a slight increase in the total volume spilled for all the sewage spills combined."

We're talking petri dish. And people go in the water there? Yecch.

In my neck of the woods they do some pretty stiff monitoring of such things, what with the commercial shellfish growers like me with our little clammies growing in the water and being sent all over they really don't want any typhoid epidemics and the like, and in truth I find this kind of maltreatment of the ocean kinda horrifying.
John Galera

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God we live in Hawaii. Bacteria counts????
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some parts of Hawaii have lots of human waste going into the lava tube networks...and that means into the groundwater. Sacred sites, too.

http://www.hawaiiislandjournal.com/stories/5a03a.html
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Doheny Reply with quote

Central California wavesliders got some bad news recently about brain parasites:

SAN LUIS OBISPO – Most of a startling number of sea otters found sick or dead on the Central California coast last month were infected with a deadly brain parasite, state scientists said Thursday.

In April, 62 southern sea otters were found stranded alive or dead near Morro Bay and Pismo Beach. That's about three times the 10-year average and more than the previous record of 48 stranded or dead otters reported a year earlier.

After examining the animals, researchers determined most were infected with a parasite called Sarcocystis neurona and suffered brain inflammation, according to the state Department of Fish and Game.

The parasite originates in the feces of opossum – a small marsupial mammal not native to California – and is known to cause brain damage. Researchers are unclear how the otters came into contact with the feces.

Sea otter deaths attributed to Sarcocystis neurona have been reported before, but not in a localized cluster, researchers said.

I was talking to a marine biologist buddy of mine last week and he told me there's a parasite in cat turds (in cyst form) that can't be killed by the temperatures used at the sewage treatment plant. The problem isn't from cat litter that goes to the landfills, but from folks that periodically clean their cat box by flushing the cat turds down the toilet. Please people...don't do that.
John Galera

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should have said thank God for our strong ocean currents!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: