rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to do about splintering board
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spudnut

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: What to do about splintering board Reply with quote

I finished my latest plywood paipo using 1/2" marine plywood. It was sealed with 4 coats of tung oil diluted 1:1 with paint thinner. I love this board but it keeps splintering. I have some polyester resin at home.

What is a good fix?
Woodstock

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Break it all the way through and glue it up tightly. That's how I fixed a guitar neck.
Woodstock

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better yet, don't. I forgot you were dealing with plywood. Sorry!
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean splinters on the surfaces and/or the edges, not that the board is breaking in half right? Resin will work to prevent surface splinters, but I don't know how long it will last just brushed on without glass. I did notice that the surface layer of 3/8" marine ply I have laying around is a lot softer than regular plywood.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resin will not like the oiled wood. Better to use an oil-based varnish. Let it dry a few days before you sand the varnish.

Was the trouble only at the rails?

Are the rails really sharp...not rounded?
Spudnut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is mainly on the rails, but the deck and bottom of the board are rough too. Both sessions out in the water, new ones would pop up that I peeled off. The board works amazing, so I have to make a go of it. Will the tung oil that I put on start solidifying more so that it will stop happening?
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not made ply paipo but have never had problems with splintering. How about sending some photos.

I'd be wondering about the quality of the ply as # 1.
Tung oil has mostly been applied to solid wood as far as I know. How much time did you leave between coats and did you let it dry completely before re-applying? How many tung coats?

Any finish over oil may present problems.

There may be a difference between wood/ply in this regards. I know Kid has made lots of ply boards, he may have some ideas.

Bob
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah wrote:
The resin will not like the oiled wood. Better to use an oil-based varnish. Let it dry a few days before you sand the varnish.

Was the trouble only at the rails?

Are the rails really sharp...not rounded?

Didn't think about the oil /resin interaction. I've never used just oil on a plywood board. I used a mix of oil & varnish once. No splintering & a nice finish, but not very durable. I've also used straight varnish, varnish over paint, polyurethane over paint, just paint, and brushed on marine epoxy. No surface or edge splintering with any of the finishes. The epoxy was the easiest and most durable finish. All boards were non-marine plywood.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil on ply: oil might not penetrate whatever holds the layers together. Is that glue of some kind? I've never had any problems of any kind with ply using polyurethane varnish (MinWax).
Spudnut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The home depot plywood is much smoother than the marine ply for whatever reason. I like the stiffer flex of the marine ply however. I am hoping that it will stop - as if it is in a curing process. It is definitely wood and not the glue, kind of like big hang nails.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soulglider has a plywood paipo his friend Bob made for him. It has about eight coats (or more) of Tung Oil. It's the only plywood board that I've seen that looked properly oiled. At first I thought it was varnished. It's time consuming, and not the best route for people that want to get in the water quickly.

Another issue is "what's really in the bottle?" There can be varying amounts of Tung Oil depending on the brand. Use of the words finish and blend can be a diluted product. You said you added paint thinner. You could have overthinned a product that was meant to be used as is.

We didn't talk about wax. Did you put surf wax on the deck? If so then you'll want to scrape that off, clean with paint thinner, sand with 220 and check for wax on the sandpaper, and then another wipe with paint thinner.

From there your fastest route back to the water would be 2 or 3 coats of fast drying polyurethane varnish. Spar varnish would take longer, but give it a classic amber tint. If the board looks bad from peeling veneers, then just use a good exterior oil-based alkyd enamel primer..have them color the primer at the paint shop if you don't want to deal with a finish paint over the primer. Sand lightly between coats.
Soulglider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: fs Reply with quote

i've tung oiled a butt load of boards, never splintered. i used the marine ply, mahogany and birch, never splintered. ive use cheap arse birch ply from the depot, never splintered. i've oiled them nicely and and shitty fast fast jobs as well, never splintered.
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be just a bum piece of wood?
Spudnut

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just gonna hang in there because this board works so damn well. A little light sanding. oiling, and saltwater; hopefully that will do it. Rolling Eyes
Soulglider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: hhbv Reply with quote

More than a couple of my boards have worn tgru the oil. I still ride and thwy still work awesome.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: