rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you calling me alaia?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how does the long one surf?

Bob
puurri

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgreen wrote:
Not to get too excited about semantics but I come from a long line of boatbuilders (unfortunately I inherited none of their skill). George Green, my great great grandfather began a boatbuilding apprenticeship in 1822 and from my father it was always cramps.

I always made the distinction that clamps are for big work and cramps for small.
Woodstock

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgreen wrote:
So how does the long one surf?

Bob

Haven't tried it out yet. It's topping 110 here, so I can't really work on it much, but I still wanna get it smoother than an android's butt before I take it out.
Woodstock

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the alaia out for a spin yesterday. I got quite a few funny looks lugging the thing around town and on the Sprinter, but I got to impress a girl with it. I should probably elaborate- She was impressed at how far I got flung when the board took a very sharp nosedive. The way I used the board, it was more like a submarine. I didn't get to stand on it, but I caught a few good ones riding prone. Certainly not a bad ride, but I'm thinking of steaming some rocker into it to avoid such bad pearling.
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Certainly not a bad ride, but I'm thinking of steaming some rocker into it to avoid such bad pearling.

You'll want to try a few more go outs before you do that.
When I first started riding the long slender alaia I thought the same thing.
Now after a year or so of using it as my daily ride I wouldn't think of it.
They are supposed to be flat.

Quote:
I got to impress a girl with it.

I've decided to post this little tale since it somehow now seems appropriate. Smile

About a month ago, I was just getting out of the water at my local break after a fun session on the alaia and heading to the shower before getting on my bike for the short ride home.
As I was climbing the berm in front of the shower, I noticed this absolutely smokin' hot gal standing at the top of the berm holding a pair of those really short fins that swim trainers use.
When I say hot I mean HOT.
Tall and Tan with auburn hair and a shape like Sophia Loren.
Somewhere between 20 and 40.
As I got closer I realized she was looking right at ME with a big smile on her face.
When I passed by her, she say's to me "Hi!" which I returned somewhat taken aback. She then says "Wow! You were riding that thing pretty cool!"
I mumbled a dopey "thanks" and headed quickly to the COLD SHOWER.
I was simply amazed that not only was somebody watching the old fart on the belly board; but it was a beautiful woman with an appreciation for the old school tool.
The power of the plank!
Are you callin' me alaia? Laughing
Woodstock

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I butchered my alaia some more.

I cut the tail down by half, having been inspired by MrMike to create a narrower tail, tapering up to about two thirds of the board. I'm gonna make a couple more modifications before I take her out again- This time, in San Diego.

I did the same with my paipo, too.

Here's a good look at the vast array of tools I've used on both projects, minus sand paper.

Yes, I really busted the handle off my sureform. I still use it, too.

[/img]

Think there's a canoe paddle in the scraps, here? I'm thinking redwood down the middle.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: