rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HPD dimension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spudnut

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing that you center of effort is too far back on the board. By using the superman technique with inside arm forward, I generate much more speed getting through sections.
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, it sounds like gutless waves. I did and still do, get caught down the bottom of the wave at times when there is not much power. Try the high line. If this is not working it may just be that there isn't much power at the top. If the problem is that you are only able to straight line it, just enjoy the straight line speed. A paipo isn't necessarily about tricks.

Bob
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...I know the thread has moved on a bit but I unearthed another photo of what can be done with wood. This is another Wayland board. Roger went to the Greenough exhibit when it was in Huntington or somewhere down there, got up close enough to measure out the original Velo board, and then went home to play.

He decided to give himself a 2 + 1 option and twin/single options, hence the fin boxes. I can't find a photo of the deck anywhere, but he told me he made this a full plywood "spoon" board, adding wood to the fin box areas and rails so he could grind it all into the traditional spoon confiruration. Everything visible here except the fins and boxes is available at any decent DIY/Home Depot/Lowes.

ClanB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the thickness of the plywood? The spoon was created with only grinded added wood or is the also thin layers of glued ply?
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels, do remember anything Roger reported on how it rode? Looks in many ways similar to some that BJ Shearsby has posted
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas...details have gone with the cyber-wind. Nothing lasts, least of all us. This was built closer to Roger's untimely passing and apparently I didn't have the details for an article or even a caption, or if I did they've vacated with deceased computers. Running on memory here. I think he told me that he cut out a toilet seat kind of thing to glue to the nose/front half and then ground that into configuration and turned it over and rounded the rails. The fins boxes were done same as described for that single fin Newport replica. The Newport replica was 3/8" birch ply.

Nels
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found one http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/forum/viewtopic.php?t=962&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 another pioneer in wood
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I revisited the labyrinth at Vagabondsurf, and couldn't find the Wayland Velo. I eventually found it with help from Google. There are some Wayland pages that are "free hanging," and can't be accessed from the labyrinth. At least I couldn't find the trap door. I also forgot it was called the Waylo.

http://vagabondsurf.com/WaylandWaylo.html

http://vagabondsurf.com/WayloPage2.html
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm going to really get off the HPD template topic....perhaps someone in LA could interview one of Roger Wayland's children, or other water buddy. Then we could have it in Rod's Interview section along with photos and Nel's text on the boards.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job there Poobah...I don't "go there" much any more, keep thinking this is the year I scorch the earth and then see some of Roger's stuff or some other things, think back on a lot of fun stuff, and then leave it up.

The internet was a much smaller world when that website launched. There were monthly magazines that contained nothing but new website urls so we intrepid screwoffs could go take tours of underground missle silos turned mid-western dope dens. Yahoo literally featured new websites on their front page, especially if they were hosting.

Odd especially at this moment as I cam going through "the family library", boxes of books accumulated during the past 60 or more years...print having gone the way of film and various recording media...faster and faster and things get lost and more often than not never found but rather rediscovered by chance or in these rare cases by thorough research.

Jeepers...20 pounds as final weight for that Velo replica? I wouldn't touch something like that. Some of you guys amaze me with .50" or 1" wood, which I also wouldn't touch I don't think. But what the hell - I'm a mass of contradictions, confusions, and chaotic impulses.

I've communicated with Bob about trying to make contact with the Wayland family...just don't have the time at this point. Or maybe I just don't want to "go there"? I miss oddball late-night emails arriving out of the blue with insanely large photo files attached showing some outlandish surfcraft, or interesting book advisories, or updates on water isues, photos of home-crafted rolling board shaping/painting/glassing workstations...

Nels
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That red board looks sweet, but 20lbs is kind of scary. My 1/2" thick prone ply boards are around 7lbs, and my 3/4" thick kneerider is only about a 1 lb heavier.

ClanB , if you're still following this thread, it sounds like you do need to go with a thicker & wider piece of wood. From your description, it sounds like your board bogs or stalls when you pull yourself forward on top your board on take off. That's what happens when I try to go to my knees early on my 1/2" thick boards - the one's w/ the narrowed HPD style shape. My kneerider paipo is 3/4" thick & has more area in the nose & center than my prone board. That one doesn't stall when I jump on it early.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many unanswered questions with Roger's stuff, like what about the flying wing? One final suggestion...don't pull the plug on your website until you try to gather up the Wayland emails that went to that domain. Or delegate that job to Bob or someone.
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels and I had discussed this a while ago. I'll e-mail Nels and see what he thinks.

Bob
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels and I have discussed porting his website onto MyPaipoBoards.org. He is still welcome to do that. I would probably need his account info but that shouldn't be a problem for a dormant account.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: