rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how do you know where you are on the wave?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
global ernie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps if you assume the information that your brain is receiving is only coming from your eyes/visual cortex but apspects of memory and vision are closely linked and neuroscience suggests that the brain cannot tell the difference between what it sees and what it remembers. so you might argue that riding prone you may have more sensory inputs at a given point in space and time via your body on the board, arms and hands on the rails and legs and fins in the wave plus your eyes where on stand up
you are relying on your feet for feeling and your vision. we could take this thread further down the rabbit hole. my life could be forfeit if i disclose
where those perfect waves are located Wink
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps if you assume the information that your brain is receiving is only coming from your eyes/visual cortex

Down the rabbit hole indeed...take it more philosophically...how important is knowing where you are at on a wave when "what you need to know is where you at anda where you going and how you get there from here"...I do indeed recognize that sick feeling when the fins on my prone-ridden kneeboard break free in a suckout and I'm about to drink sand and eat it bad...(it was softboard tech and old and warped out the rocker, giving me a sea anchor situation)....anyway what I'm trying to say is having a greater overview seems helpful to me...perhaps it hmmm you know the difference between just being in it for the biggest rush and going for something more subtle but equally exciting like the difference between "busting a move" and "making the wave"...

No worries on the secret spots, we've got a million of them here too, many of them like aquatic zoos but that's the times we live in, more or less

Nels
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I've already spent too much time outdoors...

global ernie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing development of the cerebral hemispheres, the frontal cortex is remarkable and i think i can actually see the yakovlevian torque of the R hemisphere due to the lack of cranial protection, i think your mate should wear a gath helmet if there is one big enough to fit. we still have some relatively uncrowded waves here and with effort you can be rewarded. the spot X factor has got worse over the last 10 yrs but i still know of one or two winter breaks where a certain swell and wind direction is a dead cert. if you have ever done a reverse backward crucifix over the falls in solid waves on a reef for eg spooky's (just nth of angourie pt) you may experience some brief spatial awareness but one needs to resign to the inevitable and relax to conserve your oxygen saturation.
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if you have ever done a reverse backward crucifix
Ahhh, the dreaded "starfish maneuver". Too much fun! I love/hate to watch those in massive, thick barrels like Puerto Escondido, ULP! Sort of there but for the grace of God... etc
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think your mate should wear a gath helmet if there is one big enough to fit

Everybody has big heads around here. This guy was just resting in his truck in the Secret Spot parking zone with 100 of his closest friends.

Nels
LoTekSurf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curse the Mid Atlantic summers!!! Because of a busy life schedule and my 1.5 hour non-proximity to the ocean, getting in the water is a weekend affair only. The past two weekends have been flat and choppy and now hurricane Irene is proposing to dish up double overhead swells with 30mph winds this weekend. How about somewhere inbetween? I really need to get out more.

I watched more videos of Jeff Hubbard last weekend. It's remarkable to watch him with a 3rd person view from the beach. He is always looking straight ahead, but I'm actually watching what's going on behind him as some huge wave seems about to swallow him up. On one ride he got out too far in front of the tube which he knew even though he is looking forward down the line and the tube was behind him. You can see him sit up and stall until he's back in the tube. That's what blows my mind! I guess it's just a lot of practice in reading how the wave is forming in front of you and knowing how that translates into what's happening immediately behind you.
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you don't really know how mobile Hubbard's eye balls are in their sockets!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: