rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

grow your own

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
global ernie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: grow your own Reply with quote

are any forum members growing their own paulownia. i have 15 trees planted that will have been in the ground for 3 years this November.
i would be interested to hear about your experiences and suggestions.
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 that are 2.5 yrs old. Might not be the variety that's ideal for board making, but I've just been testing if I can grow them in my area. Got some seedlings from a yard well inland from me (much warmer summers) where the parent tree had been removed & the all the seeds it dropped became like invasive weeds. The seedlings were taken in the summer & they barely survived the transplanting. The plants came back strong the next summer & grew about 4 ft. I should've followed the growing advice and cut the stalks down after that, but was afraid the plants weren't strong enough. This year the plants grew another 2-3 ft, but very little leaf and branch production. This summer has seen record cold temps in the SF Bay Area. The plants definitely prefer consistent warm & sunny summer growing days, which can't be counted on in my area. They also like consistent, regular watering & seem to be heavy feeders.
global ernie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your seedlings may have been suckers from the original plants root system. it can be a very invasive species if let run wild. root cuttings are a preferred propogation method, pieces of root about 4" to 5" long and 1"
dia. taken in early spring will readily strike. they are gross feeders and drinkers, think growing tomatoes as opposed to a tree. i would take a risk and cut at least one back to the base at the beginning of your next growth season then select the strongest shoot discarding the others. paipo folk
have an advantage over standups in that you only need a saw log 4' long so if you can get a trunk up to 8' or 12' even better, you can realise a lot of boards. the branches are good to cut up for childrens wooden toy blocks. i met a guy at the wooden board expo at currumbin a few weeks ago, he lives in victoria which gets fairly cold and he has had good success
growing them down there. my trees are about 90 miles SW of Byron Bay
so there growth rate is fairly radical. the trunks are about 4 to 6 metres
(3m is approx 10'). apart from paipo i intend to use them for T&G wall panelling, very pretty grain and very high R factor.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: