rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HPD dimension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spudnut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a doubt I have to pay more attention with the HPD. I have an Austin too that makes me feel like I am cheating because it is much easier to use. Both are awesome boards but very different.
ClanB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img[/img]

39 5/8" x 29 3/8" , 1/2" nose lift, 22 1/8" nose width where curve starts, 25 1/2" wide 20" from tail and 3/8" thick.
Spudnut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks sweet
ClanB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything in the pic pop out that may cause the lack of turning ability or did I have to be in the pic too Wink
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that board looks good. Does it feel under or oversized to you? Too much flex, too little? My boards are essentially narrower versions of the shape you used:1/2" thick, wide point about the same spot, 42" long, and little if any rocker. Turns just fine. What other kinds/ shapes of paipos do you ride? I'd give that red board another chance, keeping in mind all the good advice given so far. Might just need to change up your riding style or break the board in.
ClanB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well keep in mind Ive kneeboarded most of my wave riding although I did start out on a Morey 136 w/ skegs, then a Mach10. I guess I ride bodyboard style. The skim board Ive been using was easy to turn and ride but too small. I was expecting the same ride but easier wave catching and more speed with this red board. Oh yea...tried a few on the shore break.....didnt like landing on the earth holding 1/2 a sheet of plywood! I posted the pic cuz my guess was the sharp corners near the tail ws the issue. I thought maybe if I moved that point up further, less sharp and maybe a slight rounded outline instead of strieght that it would help with maneuverability plus I want more kick in the nose. It is my 1st shot at this thing so it's all edgamacation learnded. Ill ride it tomarrow again trying different riding styles.

Overall size feels right. Tail...need to get used to it.
Noticable flex when kicking hard to catch a wave.
kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made a few in this style, with flat, spooned and flipped noses. I've found that my favourite is 46 inches long, 24 inches wide with a flipped nose. It seems to have the best mix of outright speed and turn-ability. Having said that, I've found that the wider one's are faster, and the narrower one's can hold a much higher line in the face.

This one is my favourite.

A bit wider

www.deluxepaipo.com
kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my basic do-anything quiver.

www.deluxepaipo.com
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from deep in the memory banks, so with that in mind...

I recall the pre-bodyboard traditional Hawaiian paipo riders "sliding okole" over to the rear corner of the direction they wanted to turn. They did not stay centered on the paipo when they wanted to turn.

I also recall they would trail an arm, hand on rail, at least the one closest to the wave face. They did not hold onto the front with both hands bodyboard style.

I have found it incredibly difficult to unlearn the bodyboarding style, but practice makes things better. Perfection continues to escape me, not just in water things...

My Alien Gonzalez traditional paipo is made of .25" birch ply. Flex is inherent in the thinness of the material. Old school traditional paipos were made of 3/8" or 1/2"...I suspect any flex came from the weight of the riders there too.

Roger Wayland was a friend who made dozens and dozens of wooden surfcraft. He would add wood to the tail sections to get enough thickness to install traditional surfboard din boxes and blend the woods using a grinder. He would add to the nose sections to get spoon or lift in plywood boards. The grinder was his friend.

http://vagabondsurf.com/WaylandBolsa54.html

Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you just need more time "aboard"
I've been riding this alaia almost exclusively for a year.

It took me a couple weeks to get it figured out and a few months to get it completely wired, but now it's my favorite stick for surf under head high.
It's capable of beautiful sweeping turns but it took some time to figure out HOW. I will often use my hand as a pivot point when cutting back.
ClanB

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took it out again today.Small waves but ridable. Im learning how to catch waves with it but what it does consistantly is it does not want to go down the line. I can see the shoulder but I cant get there. Im missing the nose lift too, sunk that nose in the face on take off a few time. Later I took out one of my kids sponges and got several waves and had no problem getting down the line. I'll keep at though and see what happens.
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, the board above is dead flat.

bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClanB,

Usually you just point and go. What is you board doing?

Bob
ClanB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Example: Taking off on a right I have board extended in front of me with arms on the board and kicking. The board planes well realy and when the wave takes me I move forward with my belly on the deck and turn right to go down the line on the open face. It just wont get down the line and I get consumed by whitwater. It is not a side slip, the board does bite but just wont go down the line. I cant take a high line. Im not realy sure how to explain it. I never experianced this. Now if I just go streight it rides nice. I can catch a lump of water with it. To be fair I have not had it in anything bigger than shoulder high and semi- guttless...but on the same waves on my kids 41" Custom X bodyboard I can go anywhere on the wave. I also have been riding a 41" skimboard 20" wide and can do almost as well as I can on the bodyboard.
ClanB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Example: Taking off on a right I have board extended in front of me with arms on the board and kicking. The board planes well realy and when the wave takes me I move forward with my belly on the deck and turn right to go down the line on the open face. It just wont get down the line and I get consumed by whitwater. It is not a side slip, the board does bite but just wont go down the line. I cant take a high line. Im not realy sure how to explain it. I never experianced this. Now if I just go streight it rides nice. I can catch a lump of water with it. To be fair I have not had it in anything bigger than shoulder high and semi- guttless...but on the same waves on my kids 41" Custom X bodyboard I can go anywhere on the wave. I also have been riding a 41" skimboard 20" wide and can do almost as well as I can on the bodyboard.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: