rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HPD dimension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClanB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I soaked the nose(bout 10" of board) in cool water for 26ish hrs. I have a large boulder I planned on placing on the deck just behind the wet nose area. I kneeled on the deck area to test the bend and my big a$$ just got it to bend how I want it so I knew the rock wasnt gonna do well. I then placed the nose under a large cabinet and used some flat boards n such to build the hight of the deck while the nose almost stays flat on the ground to maybe a 3" rise. I think maybe 1 more day of drying and Ill sand paint then lacquer a few coats and ride soon, I hope. I have more wood so no biggy if'n I screw it up. I think at some point Ill make a press of some kind and glue 3 layers of 1/8" ply to form a spoon. Untill then I'll enjoy the ride.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels made one that was flat and flexible. Shorter than usual as I recall. Scroll about half way down this page at
http://mypaipoboards.org/interviews/NelsNorene/NelsN_2010-0316.shtml
and look for Alien Gonzalez.
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool interview. I like the fact that Nels knows the difference between a handboard - a tool for bodysurfing, and a handplane - a tool for shaping wood. Also that he knows that they don't cost over $100.

Looking forward to the ride report ClanB.
ClanB

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well crap. I got a nice bend at the nose, almost perfect, had the board sitting outside while I was out all day. I got home to show my brother and the nose was now almost flat. the rocker was almost completely gone. Three days it took to get the bend in the nose and its gone now. It is bent just a bit on one side and flat on the other. I guess Im just gonna sand and paint now as i needa board to ride. Ill give it another shot later with the extra wood I have.
ClanB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: ride report Reply with quote

The board catches waves ok, not as easy as I expected it to. It planes well but dosn't turn worth a crap. Sad
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: ride report Reply with quote

ClanB wrote:
.. It planes well but dosn't turn worth a crap. Sad

I had the same experience when I sampled the real HPD a long time ago. It was good for going really fast in a straight line, but I couldn't turn the thing either. I've always had better luck with a narrowed version of the basic HPD shape. Your prior post suggests you're a big guy. You might try going a little longer and thicker on your next board; both for wave catching ability & turns.
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've always had better luck with a narrowed version of the basic HPD shape.
You mean leave nose about same and pull rear end narrower for less "wedge" and not just slice width out down entire centerline of board, yes?
Spudnut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a long time, I had a tough time turning the HPD. Once I learned to steer it from the rear ( boy that doesn't sound right Embarassed ) it turns fine. It is nothing like riding a bodyboard.
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoffreylevens wrote:
You mean leave nose about same and pull rear end narrower for less "wedge" and not just slice width out down entire centerline of board, yes?

More or less. I don't know what the exact nose width of an HPD is, but I suspect my boards are a little narrower there.

Spudnut wrote:
For a long time, I had a tough time turning the HPD. Once I learned to steer it from the rear ( boy that doesn't sound right Embarassed ) it turns fine. It is nothing like riding a bodyboard.

Interesting. Do you mean you drive the turn off your hips, or use your legs to steer? My experience with a real HPD was limited, and the board was probably too big for me at the time. I'd love to give it a try again though..
ClanB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I say wont turn I mean for instance, the 1st wave I took off on was a left and it was a late take off, so I had some speed, and when I cut left not doing a bottom turn it would not go down the line. I had white water hitting me , pushing me towards shore and I was digging in the rail as hard as I could but I never went down the line and it wasnt exactly a side slip either. On another wave, a right, I got going down the line but it felt like I had to fight it and when I had to void a surfer I realy had to pull back on the nose and I guess use my hips to turn away from him wich turned out being a stall. The board is alot of work to ride. My guess in 1/2" nose lift and the wide point being too far back and having "corners" instead of a rounded outline. If I had a pic I would post it. Im sure you experts would spot the design flaw right away.
ClanB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have a digi cam right now for pics
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd love to give it a try again though..
Anytime, OG, I'd love to trade off with you and try one of yours. Maybe I should come up to O.B.

I guess the HPD must ride a lot different than other boards, judging from the comments. I never have any problem turning so it must just be what you are used to. I think you have to move forward and backward a lot on the board to make it work properly, but I don't have that much experience on other style boards (except b-boards) to compare.
I do know that if you get caught in white water it is a bitch get ahead of it. I try to get back to the glassy part by rocking the board toward the shore, getting a little bump, and then back to the lip and repeat. Sometimes I can catch up but the wave has to be pretty cooperative.
Spudnut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OG,

When I ride I use a superman style and I have UDT fins. That said my fins when in the water create a lot of drag so I pull them out of the water as when mat surfing to get a lot of speed. I use my hips on the inside rail to turn as well as hold in. Cutting back requires me to move my body to the other side of the board.

I am going to be in Morro Bay next week for a few days, if it is not too far, pm me.
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offers guys. Probably won't be heading south anytime soon, but you guys are always welcome up here in SF. This summer has been one of the worst in memory surf wise though. Looking forward to fall.

Superman style was just what I was thinking about when I said "driving the turn with your hips". Makes sense. A lot of the guys in Hawai'i who still ride HPD type boards do that. When I see the old pics of those guys cranking big bottom turns at Pipe, looks like they're having no trouble riding the HPD more like a bodyboard though. I ride my ply boards both ways. Seems like you have to pay more attention to keeping your inside rail set in the wave face with the HPD's short round shape.
RNT808

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I agree with Spudnut when it comes to riding an HPD.

The trick, at least for me, is to get as much of myself onto the board as possible, positioning my hips on the wide spot at the tail and getting my feet up out of the water. I think the key is having your weight concentrated right around the wide spot. Arching your back and lifting your legs out of the water tends to shift your weight onto your hips and if your hips are in the right position; then shifting your weight from side to side will load up the rail and push it into the wave. Then the corner of the tail works like a skeg and you can drive off of that.

From his description, that’s how I picture Spudnut’s Superman style. That’s also the way I ride my HPD and it seems to work. From my experiences I would say that the HPD is a board that requires a little extra effort to make it work; but on the right day and the right wave it can be pretty nimble and a whole lot of fun.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: