rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restoration Ethics

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Restoration Ethics Reply with quote

Decals and laminates are an area of restoration that can be controversial. Of course I don't advocate an obvious fraudulent use of a decal to make a board look older. But I have in the past used decals to cover ding repairs. I don't see it as being much different than using paint or pigment to hide ding repairs. Yet some preservationists absolutely refuse to put a laminate on an old board.

A possible solution...something I've had on the back burner of my mind for a while, would be to have what I call Registered Ding Repair Laminates. They would be pages of gif images of various sizes that are uploaded on various surf forums like this forum and Swaylocks. Anybody could download them and print them on rice paper or water decal paper. Or some enterprising person could have some nice ones silkscreened on rice paper, and sell them on ebay. If the repair laminates were widely used, then there'd be no controversy with the surfboard archaeologists.
Solo
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An example of restoration ethics in the world of art... a few things to consider:

http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/veres/vereseth.html
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, if you're rebuilding something for use, it's one thing - i have a number of old tools that are sharp and have had new handles, etc. the intent is purely functional and appearance has nothing to do with it.

Then there's appearance and function - refinishing something like the old rocker that's in my living room, seat redone with new webbing in a shaker-type tape weave, paint removed -mostly- and redone with a linseed and wax finish. But I'll stress that it's part of regluing it, tightening up and replacing a couple of broken - note the stress on 'broken' - pieces that were about to make the whole thing come apart. And it cannot be mistaken for anything but what it is, a redone old chair of no particular intrinsic value beyond being a good reading chair..

But this imitation decal business has a shoddy, putting bondo on a rusty junker, a thin coat of paint and we'll tell 'em it's new used car sleaze aspect to it that really ain't gonna cut it. Even if such a thing was somehow doable as part of a restoration, there's something in there , like forging Guarneri's handwriting to put a real imitation label inside an old violin, even if it is a Guarneri. Or, maybe a computer generated stick-on for the Sistene Chapel ceiling?

What else- well, if you're restoring something genuine, you don't tart it up so that a later restorer has to hack all that away to bring back 'original' would you put the bondo and cleverly matched to new foam paint all over a board when it's in need of an honest repair and that only, so it 'looks just like new'? Nah, that's crooked.

Let alone the possibilities for using something like this in making fakes, like the fake black Dora cats that have popped up here and there and been sold to suckers for full price. if such things are there, they will be misused.

nah - don't do it.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant generic laminates for ding repair. Tikis, daisies, fish, bandages, bullet holes, etc. Not laminates from surfboard manufacturers.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: