rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Viper v-7?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClanB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Viper v-7? Reply with quote

I have a chance to pick up a pair of Viper V-7s( the long ones) for cheap. How do they compair with the regular v5 Vipers? Im wondering if they would be too long to also use kneeboarding.
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the 7" blade Vipers (for bodysurfing, knee boarding, & bodyboarding) back in the day when that was the only fin Viper made. Worked fine on the knee board, but I would always trim down the top side rail so my feet would lay flatter against the deck. You could easily trim some length off the blade of the V-7 too. I don't knee board much now, but I've been using the V-5's for years for other kinds of surfing. The orange dot V-5 is a lot more comfortable than the yellow dot, & I don't notice much difference in the thrust between the two.
ClanB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: H2O smoke fins Reply with quote

Also I found some H2O smoke swimfins but can't find anything at all on the net about them. Anyone use them before? How do they compair with others?
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried those new style H2O Smoke fins, but the first gen H2O fins that looked like oversize Churchills were terrible. The foot pocket was hard & uncomfortable & the blade was too long & stiff for that style of fin.
RNT808

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vipers have always done a number on my feet. In fact most fins do. But after years of searching I found "DA FIN", they are the best fins for me.

They were designed for lifeguards in Hawaii, have alot of power and are very comfortable. Same folks make a fin aimed more at the bodyboarding crowd called KICKS, I've never tried them but have heard good things about them. I think they have the same foot pocket as Da Fins.
mrmike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of kicks and the other da fin I love the kicks I use the stander da fin on biger stuff all feet are not equal what is good for one person is not for another. you need to try them out and I don't mean just put them on Cool

rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched to Vipers V5 Orange Dot (flexi blade) sometime during the past 10 yrs when my old rubber compound Churchills bit the dust. During the last year I started using Vipers V5 Yellow Dot (stiff blade) in tropical waters because the blades on both pairs of my Orange Dots were beginning to feel to squishy, but are ok in cool water. The Yellow Dots worked fine in warm and tropical water but really did a gouge in my ankle when using lycra fin sox - had to start using .5mm with them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ted

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried dozens of fins, including the early Vipers, but always come back to my Churchills. I do have a pair of Da Fins which work well if I am in fine whack; Da Fins generate a little more thrust than the Churchills, but have precipitated cramps in the impact zone on occasion. For me, slow and steady wins the race.

I lost my 1980's Vipers in some shorebreak and haven't missed them. Many of the fit young guys around here use the V5's.
ClanB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I just picked up a pair of H2O Smoke swimfins. only $48 with H2O fin socks. I will head out to the Point or "Mondos" if that is where my Son chooses as he is learning. I will at least get to jet around and find out how they work. I have had many Churchill fins of all the colors and dont like 'em too much,dont hate 'em just dont prefer them. My last pair was the Viper v5 yellow dot.....made me tired even when I was younger. I have been using the Viper v5 orange dots(barrowed) the last few times out and thay are ok but still wreck my big toe and my ankles. Im hoping that these are somewhere in the middle of burst power and paddle compfort. These fins are flat and I think will work well for my kneeboard.
ClanB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H2O smokes suck a$$! very compfortable best I worn..but they dont work worth a crap. Blade is too stiff and it causes you to extend yor leg instead of kicking downward plus the blades are now bent upward just from the walk out to in knee deep water. This is just my opinion. the will be my back up fins now....
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V-7's all the way. I've torn my last pair up, so now I'm back to V-5's, but V-7's are my all time best favorite. I wear them in cold water with pretty thin fin socks.
If I ever get a tattoo it will probably 'Anne' (my wife) but the next would be V-7.
SJB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been happy with Churchills. Easy on my feet, ankles and legs. I have been tempted from time to time to try alternatives to see if I can get more power/speed.....but this discussion thread has reconfirmed that I should just stay with what I know and like.
ClanB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok maybe Im a bit harsh...but I gambled and they just arent great but I guess a good back-up fin...I failed to mention I did see a guy walking down the beach with a plypo. It was round nose and a cresent tail the a boogieboard. Totally cool to see. I went out for a second time with my Brother in law and my nephew. The skim board I was using was just too small and too much work. I didnt have as bad an opinion of the swimfins the second time out. While sitting in the lineup my Brother asked me about paipos and when I told him I was looking to make one he wanted in on it and so did his Son..whoohoo!
Ok so on a scale of 1-10, I'd give the fins, the H2O's, a 5 on performance and a 10 on comfort.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: