rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new guy here

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClanB

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: new guy here Reply with quote

Hi yall! I stumbled across this site after looking on the net for stories and info on flex spoons. Im a kneeboarder, live in Ventura and have been away from surfing for the last 10 years. We just moved back here to Ventura and have the urge to get back in the water. I surfed from the age of 16 to about 33. My Son started showing interest in surfing so I took him out to a safe spot to let him try out a longboard. I "tried" to catch a few on my kneeboard but the waves were too soft. I did have a great time watching him get stoked. Anyway long story short I became very interested in this "Paipo" so I ended up calling Paul from Hawaii Paipo Design( what a nice guy!). He told me all about paipos and how even a big guy like me could fly on most any wave. I took my Son to the Point, waist to chest high kinda mushy. My son stood on my kneeboard and to experiment I took out my older Son's skimboard. Im sure a few were scratching their heads. I caught two waves with it and was amazed that i could ride a mushy wave on a peice of plywood. Im now going to order a board from Paul but in the mean time I think I wanna make one. Any way kinda long winded but thats where I am now. Just wanted to introduce myself and post a hello to all you wave riders.
Spudnut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ClanB & welcome to the forum. I live in Ventura, ride an HPD, Austin, ply paipos, mats and my son surfs with me as well! If you want, pm me and you are welcome to try things out. They are all good and all different.
ClanB

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hay thanks! Sounds great. What is your favorite spot? Right now my favorite place is the one that wont kill me as im just getting back into shape. I think Ima try to make a plypo this next week. Im looking on the net now to see what kinda wood to use. Id like a bit of float so I have a nice place to rest on.
Spudnut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My paipo experience is sort of like raising kids. What I thought would be I am wrong! My family is laughing at me now. Like I said you are welcome to try mine.
mrmike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome . for a first plypo I would go with 1/2" birch ply from homedepot cheep and easy to work and also look good

Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloha!
FWIW,
Making paipo's is like sort of like eating chips.
One is not enough. Wink
mrmike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uncle G you got that right. I tried the ten step program then made ten more boards Laughing
ClanB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is the wrong forum but here goes....How the heck to I get a spoon front end with out adding wood and sanding? In other words what is the easiest way to bend the plywood?
mrmike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can soak it in hot water then clamp it in a press to the shape you want or take thin sheet of wood about 1/16" thick and make your own ply clamp it in your press when the glue dries it will take that shape. I find glueing wood block to the nose then using a body grinder to shape it works good for me.
RNT808

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClanB,

Check this out.

http://mypaipoboards.org/interviews/StanOsserman/StanOsserman_2010-1211.shtml

It's amazing what can be done with some plywood, glue and a little imagination.
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the advice above, trawl through these old threads.

Bending Wood - Tue Mar 23, 2004

Bellyboard build! - Sat Jan 16, 2010

oak fish - Fri Feb 25, 2011

Alaia Forum - Thu Jan 14, 2010

If you do a search of the forum with the term 'steam' you should get all the above threads.

Bob
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: