rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any builders in San Diego?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woodstock

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Any builders in San Diego? Reply with quote

My name is Sam. I'm 17 years old, and I live in San Diego with my father approximately half the time. I've shown interest in building a 9 foot alaia in the past, but after some reading, I'm leaning more towards building a 6 foot paipo/alaia combo to start with, probably out of western red cedar. I know how to use handtools, and there's certainly no shortage of handsaws and planers in our garage, but I currently lack the know-how of what makes a good board, and I've always found it easier to learn from somebody who knows what they're doing than from write-ups from somebody who knows what they're doing. So anyone in San Diego feel like helping an amateur with his first board?
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,
I believe MrMike already extended an invitation to you in one of your first posts..
Quote:
you can come over to coronado and use my driveway you just have to sweep up when you are done

Take him up on it.
He knows as much about this stuff as anybody.
Woodstock

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, he did, and I appreciate it, but my transportation is pretty much limited to the Shoelace Express. Coronado's about fifteen miles out, I believe.
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect you'll have to exert a little effort at some point kiddo. Laughing
Woodstock

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Grumpy wrote:
I suspect you'll have to exert a little effort at some point kiddo. Laughing

No! Not that! Please! Rolling Eyes
bgreen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willing paipo expertise on hand and it's only 15 miles away. Start walking. Do a deal with your dad to mow the lawn/wash the car. You're going to have to make a few more sacrificies if you want to make a board let alone ride one.

Bob
Soulglider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: cs Reply with quote

hey kid. sack up. a piece of plywood 1/2" thick by 20" wide by 48" long and all the corners smoothed off, with a few coats of urethane, varethane, oil, any paint or nothing at all will work and work great! the cost could be free if you find a hunk in the alley. these aint rocket science. make one yourself! its easy and you'll get way more gratification if you do the whole project yourself. anything goes. it can be any shape and it'll work. sh1t. people ride mickeydees trays.
boardrider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you beat me to it soulglider, i agree grab some ply and get stuck in. thats most of the fun. you make, you try, you make mistakes, you ride, you make something else.
Woodstock

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: cs Reply with quote

Soulglider wrote:
people ride mickeydees trays.

Challenge accepted.
Soulglider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: hhg Reply with quote

Cool man. You'll have so much fun. Teach us old folks new stuff. This place needs a new infusion of rideable, functional, ideas....
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could be doing this guy a diservice suggesting anything he makes will be fine and will ride well. Somewhere he wrote he hasn't really surfed and is fairly big.

It's been well established that not everything rides equally well. Kelly Slater can ride a door but the average surfer doesn't ride the pro potato chip so well - hence the revival of wider, thicker boards. but this no doubt contains a maketing element as well.

Yesterday I surfed sub 1' 4 secnd period waves near Barcelona. An alaia would have been fun and probably a better board for the conditions than the one I had. However, about 2 weeks ago I was riding a reef at 8-10', whiich required a very long paddle out and had a current that pulled you into the impacct zone. I was more than happy to be riding a well proven design made by someone else.

I enjoy riding boards that I make but I have also paddled in and swapped boards to ride a differentt design that was more suited to the conditions. The tray surfers know what they are doing and select the conditions. Woodstock could avoid some basic mistakes and still make his own board.
I'll still put my money on drawing on expertise.

Bob
Soulglider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: acsf Reply with quote

not everyone one is so over analytical as to have to have everything spelled out. i gave him some quick dimensions and if he stays within those parameters he'll be fine. its surfing. surfing is having fun in the water. experimenting in the water. theres a mindset from other nations and i've bashed heads with them in other realms, such as kneeboarding where guys are frozen by the how toos. surfing aint golf and if we continue to treat it as such, its doomed to continue down the road of the corporate fvcks of quicksilver, hurley, channel islands and ripcurl. it aint golf, you dont need lessons, you dont need the latest greatest titanium sled they make. take a look again at the pieces of scrap they ride in britain and call it the bellyboard world championships. they are having fun, IN THE WATER! that what its all about. i think all the over analytical nonsense i see on a lot of these errrr "surfing" sites is doing folks a disservice, no? then why does the mass majority ride 5'6 potato chip thrusters? get a hunk of would and jump in! also on another note, to warn the guy of the summer black ball here in socal is a disservice. he wont be able to ride whatever aint a boogieboard in ANY swim zone in SD. again, try and fine the video posted up on this site that shows the kids having a blast on pieces of wood from a packing trunk, the smiles are huge, huge huge HUGE!
Woodstock

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to make this clear- I've worked with my hands since I was strong enough to take the screws out of every cabinet in the house. Working with wood and tools is nothing new, and along with that comes the inevitable prospect of failure. I've been doing quite a bit of research on the subject of paipos and alaias for a few weeks, and while I know it won't be a particularly great board, I have every confidence that catching a wave will not be a problem.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but I currently lack the know-how of what makes a good board

For paipo purposes all you really need is some kind of planing surface, and flat does the job. Especially if you haven't been riding waves much or ever. If you are looking to learn to stand up, forget finless wood boards - the learning curve will suck the joy right out of the experience unless you really want that particular finless wood experience.

Flat piece of something plus a decent set of swimfins = minimum.

Everything you need or want to add to the equation above and beyond that just complicates the experience. It may increase enjoyment and performance and comfort and safety, but it complicates as well.

Whatever you do, do it soon so you can enjoy your opportunities of time, location, and good weather...and please take and post photos even if projects don't work out. You can't make any mistakes one or more of the rest of us haven't already made to one degree or another and everybody can learn or get ideas from anything.

Nels
boardrider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to further make the point how simple it can be, i've just come back from the beach with my kids and my 8yr old took out a board he made himself from a bit of scrap 9mm exterior ply that was left over from when i converted my camper. ok i helped him with the cutting part but otherwise its his design and work. its totally flat, its totally basic, it worked for him just fine. i'll grab a pic and post it sometime.

in fact, i'm pretty sure in a feature on steve lis in surfers journal recently i read that he started out making his first boards from scrap pieces of ply.

or of course you could get the guide to making alaia from surfing green, imho its very good... http://www.surfinggreen.com.au/store/alaias/
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: