rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aloha!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woodstock

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Aloha! Reply with quote

Hey, folks! My name is Sam. I'm a 17 year old bear from Southern California, and I've been building things with my dad since I was old enough to turn screws. I've never built a board before, (For that matter, I've never ridden one) but I've been interested in alaias and paipos for quite some time. While I lean more towards alaias, I'll probably build a paipo as well as an alaia over the coming summer.

I know it may seem like a foolish thing to do, building a board without any experience with one, but that's why I came to the forum. I did a bit of lurking before Lee confirmed my membership, and it seems that many people here know what they're doing. So I ask you all for your patience and your sage advice in boardbuilding as I stumble my way through my first board.

Cheers!
mrmike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the site lots of good info here. I also started makeing thing with my dad when I was old enought to hold a hammer 50 some years ago. what I would say to you is start simple get some good ply wood at the homedepot and make a paipo at about 48' long and about 18" wide you pick the shape ( check this site ) use about 4 to 5 coats of spar varnish then try it out then see if you like it the Very Happy

Woodstock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmike wrote:
what I would say to you is start simple get some good ply wood at the homedepot and make a paipo at about 48' long and about 18" wide you pick the shape

Sounds like a plan. The one on the far left of this photo seems like a decent model to start with, so I'll work on building one of them as soon as I can gather materials. I live in San Diego, so do you know if any local lifeguards would give me any guff about building a board right there on the beach, so long as I keep the place clean?
Woodstock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmike wrote:
what I would say to you is start simple get some good ply wood at the homedepot and make a paipo at about 48' long and about 18" wide you pick the shape

Sounds like a plan. The one on the far left of this photo seems like a decent model to start with, so I'll work on building one of them as soon as I can gather materials. I live in San Diego, so do you know if any local lifeguards would give me any guff about building a board right there on the beach, so long as I keep the place clean?
mrmike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try ob enything goes there also the head lifegard dave rains is a paipo maker and rider also larry aka poobah lives there Cool
Soulglider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: svd Reply with quote

you're kidding, right? they aint gunna let anyone build sh1t on the beach. barnies to the left barnies to the right....
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now you can't even build a house near the beach, because of Summer prohibitions. If you try to shape a board at the beach, you will attract the attention of the lifeguards, the water quality board, the Minister of Funny Walks, and the thugs from the Polystyrene Workers Union.
mrmike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skip them uptight people in ob you can come over to coronado and use my driveway you just have to sweep up when you are done. I not biulding one right now got to sell some first the wife said also got all the tools Cool

geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once read a famous philospher named Mr. Mike said
Quote:
"You can't have too many clamps!"
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezus...Coronodo is sinking under the weight of mrmike's clamp collection. And they're all so clean looking... Shocked
Woodstock

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmike wrote:
skip them uptight people in ob you can come over to coronado and use my driveway you just have to sweep up when you are done.

Much as I appreciate the offer, I don't have any transportation. I have plenty of tools, though, so we'll see what I can come up with!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: