rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my Austin Paipo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhillyPaipo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: my Austin Paipo Reply with quote

Used my Paipo at Rincon PR 2 weeks ago - had much fun.

ted

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very pretty. I like the dual leash plugs.
PhillyPaipo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't decide which to get so Austin suggested both - no down side.

Have only used the nose plug to date. I can say there have been some situations where it worked out nice to be able to pull the board straight through some breakers on the way out. In similar situations with boards with offset plugs there seemed to be more pull. Will try from the back at some point.
ted

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nose plug knifes the board through the wave if you use the leash when paddling out. However, the biceps leash is not as secure as an ankle leash. I've had my Austin go onto the rocks twice after getting beaten by the lip.
PhillyPaipo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can see that happening .. Now that I think about it .. I have had bicep leash slide down to wrist which is only one step away from trouble. Hmm .. The leg leash would be stopped by the swim fins if they slipped to the feet.
Norcal

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: What size size board and what are you? Reply with quote

Hi, I am thinking about getting an Austin board. I was wondering if the members who ride Austin boards could tell me their height and weight and the length of their boards so I can decide what size would be the be best for me. I am 5' 11 1/2" 220lbs. Currently I ride a 44" BSD bodyboard. It really flies. I ride from chest high to double overhead waves. My only complaint about my current board is that it doesn't paddle or duck dive well. I would like to get it waves a little earlier. And I miss some bigger waves because I can't generate enough paddling speed. And in a crowded lineup sometimes it is hard get waves, because of my slower paddling My son who is a short boarder thinks I won't lose as much speed on my bottoms turns with fins. I used ride a fiberglass paipo years ago. It has been so long I can't remember that much about the ride etc.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a leash attached to my wrist, or just above, and have never had an issue with it sliding off. I also wear paddling gloves in warm and cold water but don't believe they are a real factor. I can see how a bicep leash would slip down and off the arm. Not good. Might also mention that I usually use a leash made for shortboards, in the 5 to 6 foot range, depending upon wave size. I don't like the "snap back" to my head action of shorter leashes for obvious reasons.

The standard size Austin paipo does not have as much float as a 40" bodyboard, much less a 44" one. But there is sufficient float for paddling out -- it just isn't like paddling a log that is for sure. I now ride the std Austin paipo in everyday East Coast surf and a thinner, slightly narrower version in tropical surf and good overhead days on the East Coast. Same 50" length. Longer would interfere with my paddling (where my knees are relative to the tail of the board). The RPM feels looser and more responsive in good surf and duck dives better since it has less float than the std baseline Austin. Love it in good surf -- but its lack of float will bog in slow or punchless surf or in those lifeless parts of waves. I've had good fun on the RPM in 2' shallow reef surf in PR and in punchy 6 to 12 foot reef surf in Costa Rica and Puerto Rico.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote Mr. Solo from an old thread...

On most of my triplanes a corded leash anchor can seen be toward the front- center, w/another one toward the lower left. These were for diagonally slinging my leash, wearing the triplane on my back like a quiver of arrows... for hands-free ascending/decending of cliffs.
SJB

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norcal.......I am 5'9" and 160 pounds and the standard Austin at 4'2" is fine for me all around. You might want to consider the big guy paipo given your size....then again.... maybe not. Rod had suggested to me that something with thinner rails might suit me better given my size. I discussed this with Austin and he thought I would be satisfied with the "in stock" template. Austin is a big guy....and he is most helpful with these kind of decisions. I suggest you give him a call.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I forgot to mention my height and weight: 5'10" and currently 215 lbs. I have been riding this basic board in weights running from 170 to 220.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PhillyPaipo

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: my Austin Paipo Reply with quote

I am 6" 230lb .. I have the Austin Big Guy Paipo (52"). I have only been in the water with it several days (PR and NJ) but my perception is that I am catching waves easier than with my old Boogie Mach 7 it replaced. Seems to have plenty of float for paddling but not too much for getting through breakers. Seems to cut through breakers better. I am finding I can turn the Austin more readily than softies .. Now that I have fins and edges I am finding I can use those features and get my swim fins out of the water to get some new found speed. I found that during take off (in slow waves) I could simultaneously lift my swim fins and move forward to drop into the wave. I had lots of fun in waist high NJ surf over M-day. It seems like I was catching as many if not more waves than most of the line up .. I positioned to take off late (vs long board type momentum) knowing I could control to what ever wave face was available. I occasionally wonder what going a little longer in board length would be like but understand that might constrain control and just make getting out harder. So this 230lb guy is happy on his big guy Paipo as is.
PhillyPaipo

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with a wetsuit in NJ I found it difficult to keep a bicep leash on. Don't recall having that problem wo / wet suit. Will work with that a bit more than consider going back to a wrist leash which was never a problem. Will also consider a leg leash (I have plugs nose and tail on the Austin).
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How were the waves in PR during your trip?
PhillyPaipo

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: PR Reply with quote

We were in PR mar 26- apr 2.

I had a great time but the waves were disapointing given my high expectations (mostly just waist high at best and flat a couple of the days). Did the full range of spots from Rincon to San Juan. Maybe I need an attitude ajustment. The water was warm, nice weather and fun surf .. whats not to love about that!

Met lots of great people .. met up with Antonio who rides surf mats who I met prior through Surfmatters blog. John at Dos Angeles Del Mar (Rincon) was wonderful, etc. Got to snorkel at steps on the flat days ..

I knew that Mar-Apr is relativally late in the season when I signed up but expected more. Locals said the summer pattern came early, otherwise that time frame is normally better. The trade winds were dominent - Inches was at least breaking fun according to my Pal Antonio on the last day but I just could not make that leg.

I am now thinking I need to go to PR in Dec-Feb or be at risk. Or go to Costa Rica or other Central American spot in the Mar-Apr time frame. My wife is a teacher so I need to sync with her schedule (spring break end of Mar). I have been tracking reports from central america since then and it looks like it is more reliable for the Mar-Apr time frame.

Any recomendations? I see you get around. Would just like to find some consistent interesting OH for these special trips.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plans are not "firm" as of yet, but expect to be in PR for most of January and in Costa Rica in the March/April timeframe for one to two weeks. CR is more consistent on a daily basis than PR, but PR can get some bigger surf more often. I love both destinations.

We should talk more as the time approaches -- I usually go to PR with my wife (non-surfer) and with a small group to Costa Rica, including our gf or spouses, but we do not go the week before or after Easter (very crowded). We also need to find an airline as Continental, American, Delta, United are all screwing surfboard/kneeboard/paipo types these days.

I will be down at Ocean City, MD, for the weekend of Fri/Sat of June 10/11 for the OC Surfrider Longboard Challenge -- working at the event on Saturday and cheering on our local surf club, Annapolis Surf Club, an inlanders club of folks mostly from the Baltimore-Washington DC area, but a few from PA and DE. Come on down during the contest day (Sat) if you can cut loose -- plenty of talk time as I will be manning the heat flags.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: