rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SanDiego manufacturer advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: SanDiego manufacturer advice Reply with quote

A guy form Oz was thinking of getting a paipo from here:
http://www.jblairsurf.com/Custom_Boards.html

Any advice about these boards is appreciated. Pm if you prefer,

regards

Bob
mrmike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never heard of this guy. might try poobah aka larry he is more up on foam and glass boards makers. also soulglider aka timmy knows more than most he has had some runs in with makers of foam and glass boards. also the only board they offer is the buger type you could do better I think. try austin paipo might have something for him that he will like. good luck Cool
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what Mike said.
The boards on the website are pretty generic so you know there's someone MUCH closer who could make whatever it is your guy wants....
Seems to me, shipping costs would be prohibitive. Confused
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I have e-mailed Poobah and Soulglider. I've had a couple of requests lately of people wanting boards from far afield when they could have gone locally. I believe there was some attempts to contact Austin as well.

Bob
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in July 2003, I made a trip into Deep Baja with Terry Hendricks, about 8 hours south of San Diego, to test run his hydrofoil paipo and to give me the Baja experience. We camped on this point that was part of this very large bay with 3 or 4 points. A day later this RV shows up -- we wonder who the hell has an RV down here.

Turns out the guy, from Los Angeles, has 3 paipos with him. In retrospect, now that I know about more shapes and this Simmons character, they look a lot like Simmons boards. The owner really liked the boards -- all shaped by Blair -- and spoke highly of the shape/builder.
See here: http://ndpocket.com/temp/baja/thumb.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen one in person. The photos from Baja look like kneeboard lengths. The Rocket Boogie on Blair's website is a quad fin with double concaves, so it's more than just an 80's retro twin fin glass sponge.

Was the buyer planning a trip to San Diego?
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah wrote:
I've never seen one in person. The photos from Baja look like kneeboard lengths. The Rocket Boogie on Blair's website is a quad fin with double concaves, so it's more than just an 80's retro twin fin glass sponge.

Was the buyer planning a trip to San Diego?

They are a tad longer than what I ride. However, the boards were also very thin and worked very well for the gut. He rode them prone exclusively.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Austin boards obviously -- my design. But there are other good shapes out there. Pendarvis, in San Diego, also makes some paipos, with or without flex (PendoFlex).

Like another asked, is the person coming to the USA?
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod,

So who was the guy from LA? Would Blair know? Sounds like a story to me.

Bob
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgreen wrote:
Rod,

So who was the guy from LA? Would Blair know? Sounds like a story to me.

Bob

The paipo rider's name is Kent Waters. I tried contacting the place of work and email address several years ago but he no longer worked there and they could not provide info. Feel free to contact Blair.
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod,

Done.

Bob
waz149

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, I'm the bloke from Oz in question. I rode a paipo back in the 80's (see Bob's NSW section of his Oz history for a photo). Not that I knew what a paipo was 20+ years ago - I just loved the speed of it.

I've been riding riding stand up (not the paddle kind) surfboards for the last 15 or so years and am looking to get another paipo for some variety.

It has has been great PMing with Bob about it for a while now and stoked to see all your input - it's great to see the passion you guys share.

I've placed an order with Blair based on Larry's Makaha Missile with an S-deck (thanks Bob) and similar tail to Kent's - 52 x 21 x 2 3/4. I'm in San Diego on a family vacation so it all worked in great.

Rod, thanks for the Blair photos, it was great to see some more of Joe's designs. I'll have a chat to Joe about them and let you all know how the final product turns out.

Talk soon

Warren King
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloha Warren,
How long are you here state-side Question
Maybe we could organize an informal paipo roundup. Idea
waz149

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Uncle Grumpy,
I'm in US for a month with wife and 11 yr old. The first 5 days doing the theme parks then off to Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Lake Powell, Bryce, Zion, Vegas, Tahoe, Yosemite and back to LA. As you see, we've got plenty jammed in there.

Thanks for the invite to catch up. We may have some time at the back end of the trip but a the moment it looks unlikely. I'm saving my surfing brownie points for an Indo trip later in the year.

I'll let you know if I get some time at the end.

Warren
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you fit in a trip to our amazing Redwoods.
I don't blame you for saving your brownie points for Indo. Cool
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: