rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Austin Paipo photos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ted

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNW swell holding today, had 2-4' Hawaiian with light offshore winds and no crowd. I rode the HPD by myself for about an hour and worked on tighter bottom turns and speed control. My bad (or good?) bodyboard habits surfaced as I started to tail ride the board and muscle the nose around. The extreme forward trim style has a nice soulful feel, but I'm having a hard time getting the edge set in critical situations.

After a bodysurfer showed up, I switched to the Austin in twin fin mode. The board is much more lively as a twin. The board never spun out, but I did get axed by the lip as my bottom turn was a little wide on one big drop.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJB wrote:
Thanks guys for the helpful info. Rod....you mention The Greek and RFC as places to shop fins. I am unfamiliar.....are they online sites?

Rainbow Fins Company is working more through surf shop dealers these days -- find a good shop to look throught a catalogue to see what is available or provide a template with dimensions and description and place your order. I used to be able to walk into the East Coast RFD shop and order on the spot.... no more.

The Greek is Greek Bolen, a long time classic surfboard shaper that also established the Turbo Tunnel Fin -- I can't vouch for the efficacy of the turbo tunnel for longboarding, but the sidebites work for me! Both are on-line from my site.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ted

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Austin paipo video Reply with quote

Austin set as twin for small conditions this am.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCq_PB7jjSg
SJB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are having way too much fun Ted. Very Happy
ted

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: More photos Reply with quote

Leslie and Drew, two former Big Island residents, shot some stills from the rocks on Friday (same day as video).

Note rock approaching fast at bottom of frame.
SJB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted.....

I bought the 4 piece for the Austin.

I am a bit lazy and a klutz.......and taking 3 of the pieces (uncut/unshaped) and laying them sideways end to end in the middle of the board leaves me with 9 inches uncovered at the top of the board and 9 inches uncovered at the bottom of the board...... works for me but here is the question.....

Any reason why I should not place them on the board in their rectangular uncut shape?  There is a small bit of wrap over the rail edge.....but I'm not seeing that as a problem as it does not cover the bottom of the board.

Do you see any practical application or aesthetic problem with this simple approach?

Thanks,
ted

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about other paipo riders, but I prefer really good grip at the nose and tail of the board so my hands and hips don't slide around. I tend to ride the Austin with weight on my inside forearm and little of my upper body on the board, so I don't need much traction on the front of the board inside the rails. Wax can add grip wherever needed, so grip film placement is not crucial.

I cut the clear grip to match Austin's color blocking at the back and used the remnants to provide grip at the front. I would be reluctant to run grip film onto the rails.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opt not have too much wax or grip near the rails. Certainly not when riding in warm water conditions as it rubs the inner thighs raw. My wax job is usually the entire surface of the board with a 1 to 2 inch margin from the top of the rails. Will try to take a pic of my well waxed board this afternoon and post it. The wax basically covers all of the checkered surface of the Austin RPM and slightly on the black/blue rail outline.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wax job primarily on the checkered portion of the board. My favorite wax these days is Sticky Bumps as it is nice and tacky.

H2O open fingers glove. Note the textured bottom surface which makes for a good grip - they get a little bit of wax on them and I have never had a problem gripping... unless it is wild and the leash comes into play.

ted

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Austin paipo video Reply with quote

Went over the falls with/without the Austin this am. Board has major dings on the bottom from bouncing around inside on the rocks and will be drydocked for a bit. Surf was solid 3-4 foot Hawaiian (see the other videos on my site from 1-22-11).

http://www.youtube.com/user/PaipoTed#p/a/u/0/RbCEE13KYMI
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Austin paipo video Reply with quote

ted wrote:
Went over the falls with/without the Austin this am. Board has major dings on the bottom from bouncing around inside on the rocks and will be drydocked for a bit. Surf was solid 3-4 foot Hawaiian (see the other videos on my site from 1-22-11).

http://www.youtube.com/user/PaipoTed#p/a/u/0/RbCEE13KYMI

Fun over the falls! No leash?
ted

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leash and I got separated. I had a sense during the hold down that leash had let go since there was nothing pulling on my left elbow. My buddy on shore rescued my board promptly, but rocks had poked some holes in the bottom already.

On the plus side, I won't hesitate to lend the board to anybody now.
ted

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't pay me to fix anybody else's board. (I was supposed to be working on drywall, but ding repair seemed more important.)

Safety twin fin setup I'll be using for a while.
ted

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some helmet cam video of Austin paipo this am: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=146JoY_kkg8
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping you didn't use drywall mud to fix the dings...I made a little mistake along those lines when I was a kid and had a W.A.V.E. Hollow surfboard. What can I say? No credit cards, cell phones, or internet back then. Embarassed
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: