rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3/4" or 1/2" marine plywood?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccsurf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: 3/4" or 1/2" marine plywood? Reply with quote

I'm about to build some of my first boards and was wondering if you work with 1/2" or 3/4" marine plywood? I've read on swaylocks both - some of the more traditional paipos seem to be 3/4" - but more flex in 1/2"?

Thanks.
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think maybe the 3/4". IF you weigh 250 lbs or more!!! Just opinion though. 3/4 won't flex much if at all unless you do a lot of contouring/thinning in strategic places.
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the style of riding you want to do & the waves you think you'll be riding. 3/4" gives you stiffness, durability, and starts to give you a little bit of float if you're of avg weight. Good for really big waves, a down the line cruiser, or a board you want to do knee or stand up rides on. 1/2" gives you more flex & maneuverability, feels easier to manage & safer in the barrel at the expense of durability. There's also the extra weight to consider when going 3/4" vs 1/2".
Soulglider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: vds Reply with quote

if you look at my sight you will see 2 boards that are 3/4 and the rest (not the foam ones) are 1/2. i am 240 lbs and 6'5 and totally prefer the 1/2. the molar on my site is 3/4 but with the deep concave and the kick in the nose it had a lot more flex than the tri color "slab model." the slab model barely flexes, even under a big guy like me but the molar flexed longitudinally almost as much as my 1/2" board, i just couldnt adjust the rocker as easily. so now my friend is the proud owner of the molar. og-azn is right in his assessments fo' sho'. i ride half inch in every size wave from 1-12' with total confidence but, i dont ride the type of wave that SFOB is. i wont ride huge beachbreak shore pound like the og-azn. my waves are cleaner reefs and point style at that size but 4-6' beachies, i feel good with 1/2." try 'em both and see! thats the fun EXPERIMENT HANA, that what makes this sooooo much fun Wink
ccsurf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much everyone - I ended up with the 1/2" stuff - got a sheet to make 4 boards for the summer.....thanks again.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: