rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sealing wood under epoxy?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: sealing wood under epoxy? Reply with quote

Have some epoxy from old projects so want to glass the current one. Luan ply will get one layer of 4 oz cloth. Guy I got the cloth from gave me dire warnings about resin absorbing properties of Luan. To be sure I actually have enough resin I was thinking of pre-sealing the wood with something else.

Any suggestions as to what I could use and still get a good bond? Urethane spar varnish? Rattle can acrylic paint? Don't even think about it???

Thank you!
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use the epoxy; either thinned with alcohol or acetone, or better yet, roll on a coat and heat it with a heat gun or blow dryer for maximum penetration.
Anything else will likely compromise the adhesion of glass and resin.
My 2 Cents.
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you U.G. My real issue is chingziness as I currently have, hopefully, just enough resin/hardener to do the job and do not want to spend the money to buy more. In the future I will likely just use varnish but would like to use this up. The alcohol dilution is a good idea, do you know max % dilution or will that vary w/ epoxy brand?
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more then 5%
Here's more info.
http://www.seqair.com/skunkworks/Glues/WestSystem/Thinning/Thinning.html
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the link! Looks like heating would be much better than thinning. At 80 degrees or so you get almost same viscosity as 5% dilution without weakening strength of finished epoxy.
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I made wood boats and used epoxy and glass over wood I would seal the wood with good old oil base sanding sealer it worked fine and is cheep Cool
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I might go with that. My next question was going to be if I would actually save any resin total by using some of what I have to pre-seal the wood or end up using same amount? But the sanding sealer would be nice if I can find a small can like a pint instead of a gallon or rattle can. They exist, just a question if they exist within reasonable distance.
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a QT can is as small as you can get but I don't know. I alway use oil base sanding sealer on bare wood before I but enything over it. cost is about $12 a QT but will last for 5 to 6 boards well worth the money Cool
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also just found a 16oz spray can for $5.25 at Lowe's...
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you will save resin by pre sealing.
Not real sure what oil base sanding sealer Mike is referring to.
In my experience, sanding sealer is almost always some kind of premixed shellac; especially if it's in a rattlecan
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, maybe warmed and slightly IPA thinned epoxy to seal, then glass... Hate to run out mid way though... 2 1/2 hour plus, round trip plus something like $30 for more epoxy.
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, don't they almost always paint surfboard foam w/ acrylic paint before glassing whenever they do art work on them?
global ernie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PU blanks are usually sprayed with thinned acrylic prior to glassing, even the white boards get a paint job, slows down the inevitable browning process. purely cosmetic just like whitening toothpaste Very Happy
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

global ernie wrote:
PU blanks are usually sprayed with thinned acrylic prior to glassing, even the white boards get a paint job, slows down the inevitable browning process. purely cosmetic just like whitening toothpaste Very Happy
Yes and the bond seems to be ok between that and the resin/glass job. The big issue there is the crushing of the soft foam under foot pressure, not the bond between the paint and the resin, yes?

Does the acrylic paint act as a sealer at all or is it too porous?
global ernie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all PU/ polyester boards start deteriorating from the moment of their "birth", you may have noticed the "starring" in the laminate on a new board. signs of continuing decay. the relative density of the foam plays a factor in this process but the quality of the reason matrix also contributes to the general deterioration. vinyl ester and epoxy resins are of course superior but the trad PU/polyester enables fast production if needed. i dont think that the paint job on PU boards serve as a sealer.
i will check with my mate later this week, he has built 10,000 + boards and prior to that fitted out trawlers/ yachts etc with all manner of materials
for 20 years.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: