rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

quarter sawn
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
global ernie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: quarter sawn Reply with quote

does anyone have any thoughts or experience in relation to merits of using quarter sawn timber/lumber in board construction. i know that wooden boat builders often specify their wood to be cut this way and that it can be more expensive due to waste and labor. by the way TC Vania is tracking down the coral sea heading towards the top of NZ so we are in for some serious wave action over the next week.
puurri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in one word: DON'T!!
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quarter sawn wood is desirable in certain instances for it's greater dimensional stability; Some species can be prone to splitting along the grain lines. In a glassed board this wouldn't be an issue but in an oiled, painted or varnished board it could be a problem............ but there are ways around it.........splines, dovetail keys, doweling etc.
global ernie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: refining the thread Reply with quote

so more specifically does any one know the merits of quarter sawn paulownia? puurri do you know about the psychoanalytic concept of schema and resistance, where a DON'T pre empts a DO! Wink
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't a "Don't" transmorgrify (that is a technical Jungian term Laughing ) into a "Do"?
puurri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without delving into Jungian matters.

The wider a planing board is the greater tendency for that board to split. So ideally a board is composed of narrower boards joined by both mechanical (splines) and chemical means.

I am ed to believe that Pauownia is more prone to spitting than many preferred species (western red cedar etc)
puurri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post double up
puurri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without delving into Jungian matters.

The wider a planing board is the greater tendency for that board to split. So ideally a board is composed of narrower boards joined by both mechanical (splines) and chemical means.

I am led to believe that Pauownia is more prone to splitting than many preferred species (western red cedar etc)

Addendum: I use "Spar quality" WRC in 12 inch boards, "biscuited" and glued then a layup with 6OZ woven glass cloth and a marine resin (not epoxy).
mrmike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stoped useing pauowina wood for just that reason. cedar will also split but if you keep the boards narrow (4" to 6" ) you will be ok. find wood with lots of knots in it. it will keep it from spliting harder to work but looks sooo good in the end Cool

global ernie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: jungian paipo riders Reply with quote

geoffreylevens.. i believe it "does". thanks guys for the info, i have a stash
of 4x2 paulownia some of which will be band sawed into 4x1 and 2x1 so it sounds like the narrower planks won't cause too many problems.
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of other things to consider. Putting aside a board that I don't ride because it is too thin I've made 3 paulownia boards. One has been surfed in a variety of conditions including solid Lennox. Not a hint of splitting. Another board split first surf and the waves were a weak 1 foot.

There are different types of paulownia and different qualities of timber. The board that split did not have the nice straight long grain of the other board. It first split on the join but then circled around a swirl of grain. I'll try to get a photo and someone can identify the type of grain. On my most recent board, from the supplier of this second wood, I got some unglued boards, After gluing I noticed area of weakness at the end that looked like it was splitting before it even hit the water. I could have cut 6' off the end but put a tail block on. Wood quality again.

Bob
global ernie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi bob, it would be interesting to know how old the tree was when it was logged, the paulownia industry sprukers like to emphasise that you can harvest at 7 years but i have wondered if more mature trees provide a better quality timber. apparently some japanese buyers look for timber 35+years (probably for aesthetic features).i had noticed a fine crack in one board when shaping that was not evident on the end grain when i started construction, filled it with car bog before oiling the board and have surfed it regularly over the last year without any problems. guess you will be packing your bags for the south coast, hope guillo's turns on for you.
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ian,

A photo I had on photobucket - I'll take a better one later. The difference in grain is very evident (at the time I didn't think anything off it). Getting the best quality wood is worth the effort.

Regarding aged timber - I've had to replace the back steps 3 times. So much for hardwood. Older timers decry the quality of timber that is available today.

Bag is packed (almost). I've been sent a list of spots (not in the surf guides) so am hoping for some out of the way waves and meeting a few paipo riders.

Bob
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some close ups - Ian has suggested the swirl on the left side may be a large knot from "from the area where the tree crowns".

Otherwise the grain is fairly even parallel-ish lines.

Any other thoughts on this swirl.

Bob
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any other thoughts on this swirl.
Board will turn left easier than right! Laughing
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: