rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Identifying whether this is a paipo or not

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgreen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Identifying whether this is a paipo or not Reply with quote

There is a bellyboard in this footage, but from 3.08 there is craft being ridden prone - either e surfmat or paipo.

http://blogs.hht.net.au/surfcity/?p=1367

Eagle eyes or a better computer than mine might make this clearer - what do you think?

Bob
Larry Goddard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Bob!

The twim-fin bellyboard being carried out in the water looks very much like the first good one I ever rode in 1964, designed and built by Wally Froiseth of Makaha Beach in the early-mid '60s. His were made of balsa. Maybe it was just a close copy, tho'...hard to tell.

The boards bouncing across the lumpy waves in the video probably weren't surf mats, but rather unyielding wooden boards, which don't work well in bumpy conditions. Surf mats would've given a smoother ride.

Aloha! Larry Goddard
mrmike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a surfmat to me but I have a hard time seeing the computer
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfmat
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a very hard inflated mat to me. They will definitely bounce if overinflated!
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspect it's a Surf O Plane.
Like this.

bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,

Thanks. I checked this out on a full screen computer, with better colour later today. I'm tending to a surf mat, but I do know the Paipo Nui get a bounce up on them. Also, in 1961 Gordon Simpson got airborn on a fibrgelass paipo riding Waimea. He said his board only connected three times before taking off again. It's also possible that different craft are being ridden.

I'm trying to get some more info on the footage & local opinion..

Larry, I're-read your interview. I forgot that your first paipo was made by Wally Froiseth. Was the board like those in this interview?

http://mypaipoboards.org/interviews/TonyDawes/TonyDawes_2010-1026.shtml

regards

Bob
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like mostly mat riding. I think there's a wood paipo on one wave - maybe the same twin fin the guy was holding on shore? How's that kid getting dragged over the rock around 2:20 - yikes! Looks a lot like Cowells in Santa Cruz.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...that's a hard call with my equipment. I'm inclined to go with mat or surf o plane. I couldn't tell where the riders hands were. That might give some clue. With that much bounce nobody would be holding the sides if it were a hard board, but I couldn't see if surf o plane handles were in play.
global ernie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: UFO!!! Reply with quote

surf-o-plane, mid to late 60's by the look of some of the surfboards in the footage. standard fare for young grommets just pre-coolite era. most nsw surf clubs use to hire them out for " a bob" (10cents) for a half day. we use to try and get a really hard one, did not consider that lower pressure may have improved their performance. that's my "two bob's worth"(antipodean colloquialism for having your say!)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: