rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hansen Bellyboard
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> For Sale, Wanted or Trade
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my darker moments I have to wonder if surfing hadn't turned into such a shopping experience would there be all this interest?

Doc and the East Coast and Gulf Coast people know... if you would have gone and bought out any 1985 board rental inventory in those locations you could live large now selling off the "vintage surfboards". Crazy. It's one thing if you care about the item, a model board you once had or wanted, but this "investment/collection" thing is whacked.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Wanted to make it clear it's the "investment-collection" thing I think is whacked, not collection for fun and reference...

Along those lines, this from the current (March 2004) issue of Malibu magazine, an interview with retailer Fred Segal concerning his inventing designer jeans in the late 1960's:

"Fred Segal experienced a staggering insight: the only reason jeans weren't a fashion statement was that they didn't cost enough! 'I thought, people don't want to spend just $2.39 for jeans. They want to spend $19.99!'"
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayull, Nels...

I'd take it one step further - if you are not gonna surf it, or if you didn't, just bought the board to have it, that's kinda sad.

The board collectors kinda tick me off, you see. Some kid can't spend his lawn mowing money to buy a board and get into it the way they could when I was starting out. Bought my first board when I was 14, making $25 a week pumping gas, and it all went from there, but they can't do that now. Any used board that'll float is worth a hundred bucks or more..... and that's a 6'0" tri that the kid can't learn on if he weighs more than 43 lbs. The whole used board price range has taken a fast jump to the right.

curse, snarl, rant rave. I start kids off, if they are making small dough, with a deal: 'Hey, kid, have this board back here when we open tomorrow, ok? " But that's me, old school from hell.
Birdie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Dextra cos it was cheap and a real bellyboard, and I wanted to see how the design went...but then, once I actually got it and saw it and realised it was truly a tanker....well...I am still taking it in one of these days, but it'sjust a beater - wall hanger - and a design curiosity as it has the concave bottom.

I'll prolly bring it to a paipoalooza, tape up the nose and corners and let anyone have a go.

The 5' Newport was a good experience as it made me realise I wanted and needed a bigger kneeboard for my homebreak....so,I ordered a 5'10".

The El Paipo I am curious to see how it does, prone riding.

So, it's all good.
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y'know, I wonder if the Dextra was originally concave... I have seen some of the longboard Dextras kinda shrink when they lived long enough, left an amusing kind of high-low-high around the falsa stringers they had.

The El Paipo and the Newport Paipo - eminently surfable, pretty good little kneeboards. You're stuck with the steep, fast, go-like-hell part of the wave ( gee, what a hearbreak that is) but that's about it. Tradeoff- with less floatation than modern kneeboards, you'll find that they are a lot easie to paddle out with.

I still have my original board, bought with gas station wages, Gordon and Smith downrail Green Machine, 5' x 18" , and a 5' x 22' or so orange Sunset with knee wells and a kinda teardrop shape. May have to dust 'em off sometime, when the Romos pall a bit.
Birdie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Sea King" Dextra I have is an original concave.....

I think this must have been their "Big Bruddah" version of the smaller more prevalent Dextra bellyboards.

In otherwords, much more rare.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But that's me, old school from hell

Laughing

That ought to be the motto for this forum...

Good point on the used board thing. It's nuts out here in California. Remember how January used to see - shoot, in the Frozen North you may not actually - after Christmas there used to be a lot of boards for sale used, in the aftermath of holiday presents which either did or did not come. Nothing at all this year. I would say, based on what I saw over the summer and into this year, that the average price of a used board over 7 ft' long was around $400. Everything is fairly good condition these days, what with leashes. Still with a bunch of delams on the decks though.

Maybe for the hell of it, and in the spirit of revolution and anarchy, we ought to have Victoria at Ming-Fang or whatever scan and run the best of Newport Paipo. Cheap when made in Asia, easy to ship in containers...just stir the pot. Twisted Evil
Birdie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels wrote:

Maybe for the hell of it, and in the spirit of revolution and anarchy, we ought to have Victoria at Ming-Fang or whatever scan and run the best of Newport Paipo. Cheap when made in Asia, easy to ship in containers...just stir the pot. Twisted Evil

Slap some Powerpuff Girl and Hello Kitty lams on them,and the Bluecrusherettes will buy them up by the container load.

"Oh mom, please...it's a baby surfboard!"

Cha-Ching.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Slap some Powerpuff Girl and Hello Kitty lams on them,and the Bluecrusherettes will buy them up by the container load

Heh heh, and in keeping with the wandering theme of boards for sale and media...I saw this show on Trio about the South Park guys and Shockwave. They were given a ton of money (I think they said $2 million) to make anything they wanted. They responded with plans to push "decency" as far as they could possibly think. They came up with "Princess", a totally and intentionally merchandiseable cartoon poodle thing. The idea was to have the poodle watch the humans do everything depraved and despicable humans are capable of, without any television or movie restraints. They wanted to see "Princess" on little kiddie t-shirts etc. since it would be very marketable on its own without the buyers or sellers having a clue as to what it meant.

Too radical for Shockwave. Too bad those guys don't surf... Twisted Evil
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heee..... you guys are evil. I like that in a person.

The real score on used boards? Late August, when Twit J. Collegekid is going back to school, needs money for books and doesn't want to admit to the parental units that he blew all his summer earnings on beer and beach. Remember, I'm in the business.

And evil. When I get yummy mummies coming into the shop looking for a board as a present for a kid or nephew, I tend to actually suggest they bring the kid rather than getting a very wrong board for 'em. Not only does it make for better long-term sales and etc, I wind up with good looking women coming around the shop again and again....

I mentioned I was evil, right?
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And evil. When I get yummy mummies coming into the shop looking for a board as a present for a kid or nephew, I tend to actually suggest they bring the kid rather than getting a very wrong board for 'em. Not only does it make for better long-term sales and etc, I wind up with good looking women coming around the shop again and again....

Funny how this obviously evil business practice in any other time might be considered common sense and very customer oriented. Such times...
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

better to be insidious than blatant, y'know?

Actually, when a business is gonna be 40 years old, and this one is in a couple of years, dumb luck kinda ceases to be a factor. But there's rules -

Sell good stuff, not crap. Both new and used. At a reasonable price, 'cos the people you're selling to have to make that money.

Have a niche and cover that well, don't try to conquer the whole world. You can't carry everything, nor make everybody happy, so trying to is silly.

Advertising is a complete waste of money. In order to pay for a buck's worth of advertising you have to sell $20 - and that advertising will never bring in $20 worth of business. Don't spend that first dollar on it.

The customer isn't always right. You have to talk them out of things sometimes. That's why they ask questions, and that's why you're there and not a vending machine, they want answers.

there's others, but i'm feeling a little lazy just now..... or maybe just feeling evil.....
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> For Sale, Wanted or Trade All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: