rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stop Discriminatory Surfboard Baggage Fees!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Stop Discriminatory Surfboard Baggage Fees! Reply with quote

Stop Discriminatory Surfboard Baggage Fees! Sign the Petition!!!!!
Visit this link: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/StopUnfairSurfboardFees/

This affects paipo riders to a much lesser extent than the vertical riding crowd, but there is increasingly a gray area and a propensity to start slapping extra fees on anything that doesn't look like a 50 lb. golf bag. Please consider signing the petition and boycotting the abusing airlines.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking pending vacation fantasy and found that at least a couple airlines have "special deals" for what they term "boogie boards". Southwest they go free, Alaska Air they can go as one of your regular checked bags (if over 62 inches length+width+thickness. I asked specifically at both on tele, which of course does not necessarily apply at actual check in but both airlines told me that the material it is made out of, including homemade wood does not matter. If you can fit your paipo into a bodyboard bag or wrap it in bubble wrap or something they can see through, so long as it has no fin/skeg, then it is a boogie board...

I also asked Alaska, since dimensions apply more there, and at least according to the lady on the tele, only thickness of the material should count, not rocker curve ie space actually taken up.

Really, they would do well to just go back to the free transport of all surf equipment but we do what we must.

Of course, mats just go in your suitcase Smile
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I periodically update my board travel bag page when planning a trip here or there -- surfboards, bodyboards and baggage are included (many of my travel buddies are short boarders):
http://www.rodndtube.com/surf/info/AirlineBoardCharges.shtml

Need to do some updates with a planned trip to Costa Rica in the Spring. The bad news is that airlines are generally increasing baggage fees across the board (carry-on, checked bags, bodyboards and surfboards). Many of the airline guidelines (and "Contract of Carriage") use the term "boogie board" so that is what I use as well during check-in. On the downside golf bags continue to receive a free pass despite bag sizes ranging to 5 feet and with allowances of up to 70 lbs.

One suggestion is to pack your "bodyboard" (paipo/bellyboard) as light as possible -- keeping it light and non-bulking helps it to pass off as a boogie board.

Southwest Airlines is by far the best airline within the USA (and with the acquisition of AirTran will service San Juan, PR, sometime during the next year). I've also had good luck with American Airlines and USAir over the years -- one time in maybe 25 trips has AA charged me (and that was only one direction by a check-in person in a very foul mood). On the downside, AA has increased surfboard fees to $150 each way which has a very chilling effect for traveling with friends.

Another concern is that many airlines have "simplified" their description and listing of sporting goods gear -- paipo, bellyboard, bodyboard and boogie board and similar boards just aren't listed anymore (e.g., wake boards, knee boards) and passing off our boards as skis or snowboards just doesn't pass the usual test -- so one risks falling into the zone of "isn't that a surf board?" although in terms of size/weight it is a small item.

Another airline looking good is Copa. Sometimes Taca (but it has very vague descriptions -- always better to have something in writing -- and yes, I print out the page showing we can travel free).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRRRRRRRR!!!!

www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/12/13/baggage.cancellation.fees/index.html?hpt=T2

[quote]Airline baggage fees top $2.5 billion

By Natalie Avon, Special to CNN
December 13, 2010 2:17 p.m. EST

(CNN) -- Baggage fees may irritate you, but airlines sure aren't complaining.

Airlines have raked in more than $2.5 billion so far this year on baggage fees alone, a number up 22.5 percent since this time last year, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics.

And fees will continue to climb as long as the market will bear it, said Michael Boyd, president of Boyd Group International, an aviation consulting firm.

"For the average passenger, you are paying more," Boyd said. "These ancillary revenues are making airlines profitable. But it's the name of the game. People are paying it, people aren't revolting, and so they'll be there forever."[/quote]
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used to travel more often , I found that a bodyboard bag didn't always give adequate protection to the board without the use of additional padding, was easily damaged by rough treatment from the airline, & seemed to be a more inviting target for theft in some places. I found a drafting table shipping box that was the perfect size to hold 1 bubble wrapped board and still wouldn't be considered oversize. I put a plastic carrying handle on that box too. I used that box on a lot of trips without a problem or surcharge. If the airline asked about it, I said it was my work equipment. Something like that might get you around the "board bag" surcharges. Even before bag fees became the standard in the US, I noticed that lots of airlines were already exploiting surfers w/ extra bag charges. On certain airlines, it was best to show up at the check in dressed like you weren't a surfer or going on vacation.

In the last few years, I've had good experience with TACA. Flew my board in a board bag all around Central & S. America without a problem or extra fee. On my last Mexico trip, American Airlines didn't surcharge me , but they "lost" all our bags for several days. Luckily the bags were delivered in time for the surf part of the trip; but only after hours of hassling w/ them over the phone.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I found a drafting table shipping box that was the perfect size

That's a good idea there...office supply stores have a variety of containers that wouldn't arouse much interest in airports. I got a tube for bluprints or drawings a few years ago for my Neumatic mat that would have been spectacular if it had a slightly larger diameter. Always meant to check into fishing rod containers for that but never got around to it - just chucked the mat in the daypack.

Most bodyboard bags are just as OG-AZN said, minimal padding, okay for bodyboard but not for more fragile craft without augmentation.

It should be highlighted that U.S. carriers now almost all charge for any checked luggage ($20-$25 per bag USD this past fall). I guess the profit keeps them running. Hard to know what to root for. I used to follow the notion that it was better to not dress like a surf bum, but the security these days makes that a moot point. The barefoot inspection rules finished that with me. If I was going to travel with surfcraft I couldn't carry on now I'd go for comfort and count on not being a complete prick to carry me through...there are so many of them and so few of us...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: